Revisiting Bedbugdots

(10 posts)
  1. Bedbugdot

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 14:57:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I recently read a post from a few months back regarding the product I created for educating people on the early detection of bed bugs.

Some tried real hard to discredit that product and hammered it, but I realized it was plain ignorance as to what the product is all about.

I couldn't go into the discussion because it had been closed, so I thought it is only fair to reopen the discussion for only one reason - to clear up any misconceptions about the product and it's purpose.

For those who don't know what the International Bed Bug Resource Authority (IBBRA) is -an education portal, help and resources for people regarding bed bugs. We help people not make horrible mistakes as many do with bed bugs. And we help them know what works and what doesn't.

I have dedicated my life to helping people better understand what we are up against with bed bugs. I have written 13 books, venue specific on bed bugs.

The IBBRA receives between 4 to 500 calls from people on the Bed Bug Hotline each month. I have been doing this for nearly a decade. I post on Facebook, Google+, Twitter daily and post on LinkedIn often in which one of my recent posts got 187,650 views.

Sadly, most of these people are struggling with so many different problems with bed bugs including; identification, self-treating, paranoia and fears of all kinds and most of all, not knowing where to look for them.

Because of the large amount of calls we receive this is why the IBBRA worked with the University of London on the psychological effects of bed bugs.

I would get questions like "are bed bugs in my shoes?, or I found this bug in my kitchen, or in my hair. OR I found a bed bug does this mean they are everywhere?"

Trying to explain it all on each phone conversation is not time effective so...

Because of this, I created an "educational tool" that is inexpensive for people to place in the areas most frequented by bed bugs. It teaches them where bed bugs hide and calms fears when people are in better control.

Once in place, they check them as often as they would like. The purpose wasn't so much to have people check the "dot", it works as a place marker for them to check those areas for bed bugs.

This is NOT a monitor. I repeat - NOT a monitor nor does it claim to be a monitor. It cannot be compared to other monitors because it was not designed as one!

It was purposely "sandwiched" for strength.

It has a thin piece of stiff poster board pasted on both sides of a small piece of cardboard. Maybe because there are so many monitors made of cheap cardboard those confused this product with them.

So in essence, it's not a product that you can say "doesn't work" because the product is only a teaching device that helps people create more awareness in their homes or dwellings.

It has enough dots so that a family can have them in every room of their home. It also comes with a FREE book that educates them on the nature of bed bugs, identifying them, where they hide, risks, what not to do when it comes to bed bugs (VERY IMPORTANT) and plenty of prevention tips.

I think if you ask any professional that truly understands the bed bug issues we are having that the best monitoring you can do is human awareness and inspection often. If more people did this, they would catch bed bugs early and infestations wouldn't have a chance to build.

I do not advertise the product anywhere, nor do I push any "marketing scheme" surrounding the product. I don't go on these types of forums to advertise or market the product either.

Matter of fact, for those who can't even afford to spend twenty dollars for the educational system, I tell them to cut up pieces of cardboard and place them according to the charts located on the site.

The product is put together by humans which also helped people get a job.

So I hope this helps clear up any misconceptions about what the product offers people. EDUCATION and a way to find them early.

Thank you for your time, we're here to help!

2. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 15:29:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad you cleared that up as the original thread just got drowned out with a bunch of non sense.

And again I thank you for what you've done for me personally and everything you do to educate people in all aspects of bed bugs. Cause in the end, education is the only way this epidemic will be able to be controlled by us as a whole.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 15:58:27
    #

Login to Send PM

That would have been me saying that they wouldn't work in my setting.
    They were presented to me as an alternative monitor to the PackTite monitors, good to hear you clarify that they are indeed a learning tool and not to be used as a monitor but as a place marker.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 19:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugdot,

Your explanation makes a lot of sense. As I see it, relying on a single passive monitor is not as reliable as a thorough bed bug inspection. I doubt if the majority of professionals here or elsewhere will dispute that.

So, if the dots can educate and facilitate the inspection process for the average homeowner, they serve their purpose in spades. It is unfortunate, yet understandable given your product's unique purpose, that the previous discussion centered around how effective your product is as a monitor. I think it's also in part to some lack of clarity and positioning with your web site's marketing message which does not appear intentional and could easily be remedied if you so choose.

Bottom line -- If Bedbugdots helps you detect bed bugs better than a passive monitor (my interpretation, not necessarily your claim) who cares what you call it.

Richard

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 20:27:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BedBugDot,
    I sent you an email via the IBBRA website.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 6:15:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 11 hours ago  » 
    As I see it, relying on a single passive monitor is not as reliable as a thorough bed bug inspection. I doubt if the majority of professionals here or elsewhere will dispute that.

Hi,

While an interesting theory it's not actually true.

I have posted a few times where manual inspected by experienced operatives have been negative while a short time later the single Passive Monitor has shown signs previously missed.

This is mainly due to "task fatigue" and the role it plays in systematic failures.

It's a very complex job if you want to do this correctly and even when we have a solid idea or theory it often does not work perfectly in the field and needs modifying.

In this case the assumption that something is simply cardboard does those who believe that a huge disservice.

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 9:41:25
    #

Login to Send PM

B-B: While an interesting theory it's not actually true.
    I have posted a few times where manual inspected by experienced operatives have been negative while a short time later the single Passive Monitor has shown signs previously missed.
    This is mainly due to "task fatigue" and the role it plays in systematic failures.
    ---------------------------
    Hi,

Yet on the other hand, at least one very experienced PCO here reported the opposite - that he has on many occasions found bed bugs at sites where your, or similar type monitors showed no activity.

And I have no doubt that both of you are correctly reporting, as no one has claimed that either monitoring or inspection are 100% reliable. That said, I still hold to my opinion that the majority of pros here and elsewhere put more stock in a thorough inspection than a single passive monitor.

But maybe we’re all missing the bigger point here which is whether or not Begbugdots can help homeowners identify a bed bug problem early.

Unless you’re arguing that home inspection is an unnecessary waste of time, then it follows that any reasonably inexpensive device or system such as begbugdots has value.

As to your “might as well use sticky dots” comment, I ask why you didn’t you use sticky dots instead of cardboard! Something tells me they chose cardboard for the same reason you did. And that is because cardboard is one of the more attractive bed bug harborages. Being so, I would therefore think that the cardboard construction would only enhance the inspection process, whether you call it a monitor, a inspection aide, a teaching device, whatever.

Richard

8. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 12:45:40
    #

Login to Send PM

That should have been "corrugated cardboard" in my previous post, not simply "cardboard".

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 12:59:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Having just spent the afternoon at a hotel (300 miles from my office) who had previously used a layered cardboard approach they and I can attest to the fact that it's not the simple solution you seem to think.

Yes I am also willing to say a check of a single efficacious Passive Monitors is more effective and efficient than repeat manual inspections, something's i have been proving with hotels since 2009. I also confirm that a red sticky dot is equally effect as a BBdot because the BBdot is missing the key features that make a Passive Monitor work.

[deleted]

While I agree nothing is 100% once you pass beyond 99.999% most people will round that to the nearest whole integer.

David

10. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 13:57:48
    #

Login to Send PM

B-B: Having just spent the afternoon at a hotel (300 miles from my office) who had previously used a layered cardboard approach they and I can attest to the fact that it's not the simple solution you seem to think.
    ---------------
    The discussion was about a thorough inspection versus monitoring with a single passive monitor. It was not about comparing your passive monitor to a "layered cardboard approach".

That has already been discussed ad nauseum here but since you brought it up, for those interested they can search the site on DIY monitors which I believe was a thread Paul Bello started and an approach endorsed by another experienced pro here, John Furman (KillerQueen).

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,266 posts in 42,973 topics over 129 months by 18,855 of 19,413 members. Latest: sleeptitesoon, CatherineM, freakingout123