returning from hotel tips

(4 posts)
  1. brianinjersey

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2011 19:39:39
    #

Login to Send PM

So my son and i been staying in a hotel, i got a few weird bites that could be mosquito but got anxious. Wondering best way to treat stuff when home. Son thinks im nuts and dont want to ruin all his stuff heating it to kill what are probably phantom bugs...

Clothing...i read here that either 5 min in dryer on hoT OR a hot wash cycle is good? One or the other? Would prefer to just hot wash some clothes not dry so it doesnt shrimk

Shoes on a rack in dryer on hot for how long?

Any help appreciated, just trying to be caitious

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2011 22:30:22
    #

Login to Send PM

This should help: http://Bedbugger.com/FAQS/travel

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. brianinjersey

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jun 19 2011 1:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Can youbreakdown for me? The other faq i was referring to wasalso on bedbugger..
    just wondering dryer time minimums...this article seems to say twi hours at a certain heat!!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jun 19 2011 3:13:42
    #

Login to Send PM

For what it's worth, I completely revised this FAQ just now. It was not updated for several years, and I made a few changes. They don't really address your questions because there are not exact answers for some of them.

By the way, I hope we're not recommending drying for two hours on hot anywhere, so please direct me to that if you find it again.

The most common advice we see is that items should be dried on hot (only) or washed and dried on hot. The dryer FAQ goes into more detail on how a hot water washing machine cycle should also be sufficient (according to Dr. Potter's tests).

Dr. Michael Potter found that bed bugs were killed in a dry sock in a hot dryer in five minutes. We generally recommend going a bit longer (10-20 minutes) because you may have items like jeans which are more insulating than a sock.

It would be much longer, however, if the items start out wet.

I cannot give exact times for shoes in a dryer rack, because no one has specifically tested this to my knowledge. We only have exact data for a sock. However, for shoes as with thicker clothing items, 20 minutes on hot might do it...

When it comes to pillows, comforters, etc., I honestly have no idea. But I think these times would be insufficient as such items would be very insulating.

Some also recommend dry cleaning, but be aware that while conventional dry cleaning is often recommended, dry cleaners may not know how to deal with items that have been exposed to bed bugs. Many may refuse to help you. If they agree to, they may mishandle things. Luckily, many items which cannot be machine washed can apparently be placed in a dryer for a short period of time without damage if they start out dry.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,078 posts in 28,284 topics over 87 months by 12,191 of 19,345 members. Latest: sera143, falc, falc2
Site Meter