Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Returned home after heat treatment... Found a live one immediately!?

(6 posts)
  1. Panic

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 18:43:28
    #

Login to Send PM

We have been battling this problem on our own for over two months. We were too broke pay for a professional originally, so we borrowed a steamer and used it often, washed everything all the time, vacuumed all the time, put down DE etc...

Finally, we saved up the money for a professional team to come treat the house. They used the heat treatment in our upstairs bedrooms & used non-heat treatments in all of the downstairs rooms to be safe. (This happened today). I was told I could come back home at 5pm.

I returned home and continued doing laundry and straightening up the house.
    I saw that the exterminator team broke my light fixture off the ceiling... and then they placed the broken shards of glass on my kitchen table, for some reason...

I go upstairs to look around. I examined the mattress that they told me to stand up on its side in the room and I saw a tiny baby bed bug crawling along... it looked just fine and healthy as could be!?! I smashed it and looked around some more...

That was the only one I saw... What do you think???? Did they not treat it correctly? I thought everything would die?

2. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat May 13 2017 16:08:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Could you post a picture of the bug you found? Also you should call the company and let them know.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  3. djames1921

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue May 16 2017 13:48:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Agree with above, first things first are you sure what you saw was a bed bug? Other insects can have a higher tolerance for heat. If it was one, I'd speak with the company who did the treatment. Heat treatments are not as easy as just turning on some heaters and fans and letting it run for hours. Usually items inside need to be moved around along with fans in order to eliminate areas that are harder to heat or cool spot areas that will never get to temp without making some adjustments. This is not to say that the company did anything wrong, even the best heat treatment company can have this happen as when you think of heating up large areas in such a way that no cool refuge areas exist, it can be tough. Speak with them and see if they'll come back for an inspection or to retreat that area.

4. djames1921

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue May 16 2017 13:49:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Agree with above, first things first are you sure what you saw was a bed bug? Other insects can have a higher tolerance for heat. If it was one, I'd speak with the company who did the treatment. Heat treatments are not as easy as just turning on some heaters and fans and letting it run for hours. Usually items inside need to be moved around along with fans in order to eliminate areas that are harder to heat or cool spot areas that will never get to temp without making some adjustments. This is not to say that the company did anything wrong, even the best heat treatment company can have this happen as when you think of heating up large areas in such a way that no cool refuge areas exist, it can be tough. Speak with them and see if they'll come back for an inspection or to retreat that area.

5. F. Pazos

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 0:57:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Just call them and tell them that....
    Probably they applied a residual pesticide to cover this issues.

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  6. Panic

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu May 18 2017 10:02:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay.
    So, I'm starting to doubt this particular company... The main reason I used these guys is because my landlord suggested them to me and said she preferred them. She said she uses them on all her rental homes when necessary.

I called them and a secretary answered and said she would let the guys know about the bug I saw.
    (Also, not only did they break my light fixture off the ceiling, the shards of glass punctured the air-mattress that I was told to leave fully inflated and standing up on its side in the room to be heat treated. They left muddy foot prints in the kids' room and in my bedroom... and they also removed the screen of the window for the heat treatment, but did not place it back on the window... Seriously, I cannot find it??? Non of this would bother me much if I hadn't spotted that damn bug!)

One of the guys called my fiance's phone while he was working and left a voicemail saying they will reimburse us for the light and the bed. He also said that in rare cases, some bugs survive the heat treatment??? He assured me that they did also apply residual pesticides after the heat treatment... It just seems like the heat should have worked better- due to it costing thousands of dollars.

The bug I saw after the heat treatment was definitely a bed bug nymph. I cannot take a picture because I smashed him and his tiny body popped into nothing but a blood smear. Yesterday, I found one dead adult- fully grown and engorged with blood. This is the first time I saw one swollen with blood like that... I am assuming the pesticides killed it. Just today, I found a nymph alive and crawling around in the bottom of my laundry basket after I used it to collect and wash the pajamas my kids wore to sleep last night.

The company says they will return weekly to "inspect"
    I just want this to be over. We want to move, but can't do that until everything is properly treated and bug-free.

I worry that the company underestimated the infestation or something? When they first inspected they used a dog. They said the dog didn't react very much and they didn't see any fecal stains or shed skins anywhere... but I showed them some dead bed bugs on a sticky trap. He claimed I must have had a "very light infestation" and said there was likely "10 bugs or less"

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,586 posts in 41,771 topics over 127 months by 18,318 of 18,785 members. Latest: ALivingNightmare, MontanaSPC, sarasoli