Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Rest Easy Spray - Does it work?

(3 posts)
  1. bugbuster

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 11 2009 13:52:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Wondering if anyone knows how effective J.T. Eaton's Rest Easy luggage spray is? Can one, indeed, rest at least a little easier?

2. adrianna1973

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 13 2010 7:23:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I have used Rest Easy spray from Bed Bath and Beyond with some success. I knew it would not permanently solve the problem but it works just fine as a stop gap measure until you can get a PCO in. I would recommend it if you just need to get some sleep. While my bedding was in the wash, I sprayed my mattress and the areas around my bed ( including the floor). I got about 4 nights of peaceful sleep :D.

WEAR A MASK when spraying! The smell is quite strong (cinnamon) and made me queasy before I put a mask on. This stuff does not work by the fumes, so go ahead and open the windows. I sprayed with the windows open, a mask on and then left for 4 hours.

It does not do a good job on killing live moving bugs directly. When I see one crawling I have had excellent results with Windex. It should be noted that Windex is toxic to cats.

Sleep well.

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 13 2010 9:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If I recall correctly, that spray is a contact killer--so it's about the same level of effectiveness as 91% isopropyl alcohol, which is probably cheaper.

It also depends on what you mean by effective.

Personally, when it comes to travel, I feel much more confident after I've inspected a hotel room than I would using that spray. Contact killers won't kill eggs, so while it might kill live bugs, as a guarantee that you won't bring an infestation home, you'd be better off with inspection than just using it.

Also remember that if you're using something prior to professional treatment, generally speaking you don't want to repel the bugs. Repelling the bugs, while it sounds like an obviously good idea, turns out not to be a good idea with bed bugs. Repellents can drive the bugs deeper into hiding and make your infestation harder to treat, which means longer misery over all. (Obviously, if you have a severe allergic reaction--like giant blisters or anaphylaxis--that's another story. ) However, short of that, you generally don't want to clean and/or repel the bugs too much before a PCO comes in to inspect your place.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,628 posts in 31,239 topics over 95 months by 13,514 of 17,224 members. Latest: acaris, Closesuise, xMakiMakix