Requesting Bed Bug gender ID! + more!

(10 posts)
  1. firedogx

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 20:38:10
    #

Login to Send PM

For those of you familiar with my situation I brought bugs into my new places via a suitcase. I found one live bug (male) on my pillow after opening it for the first time 3 weeks into my new place. I decided after going through standard procedure to empty out the clothing from the suitcase and wash them, and bag the rest of the unwashable items. I then decided to use 91% alcohol in a spray bottle and soak the inside and outside of the suitcases. They REEKED. Strong fumes. I quickly zipped them up, bagged them and set them outside for a week and then in the garage for another week.

Opened it up and found a couple bed bugs and something else. For curiousity sake i’d like to know the gender of this bug, and if an adult: https://m.imgur.com/zAI4WZm

And can anyone pinpoint what the hell this is? https://m.imgur.com/Gb0XKFn

The other bug is squished and slightly younger than the first.

My other Q is... anyone wanna recommend what I should do? Should I just confirmed toss these suitcases and get new ones? I have a bag of misc items also that I haven’t inspected probably worth under $100. I don’t want to wait it out for 18 months so I’d rather just toss it if and only if there is no surefire way to decontaminate.

Would the fumes of the alcohol kill any survivors that didn’t get hit on contact? Oi. This is ruining me lol. I haven’t seen any solid evidence of bugs on my bed or in my interceptors for 3.5 weeks now since finding the live bug outside my suitcase. I’m concerned maybe more escaped due to finding 2 more dead bugs inside the bag.

Would I easily be able to find evidence by now? Almost a month since my incident? Curious for your thoughts fellow forum members.

2. firedogx

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 20:44:28
    #

Login to Send PM

firedogx - 2 minutes ago  » 
    For those of you familiar with my situation I brought bugs into my new places via a suitcase. I found one live bug (male) on my pillow after opening it for the first time 3 weeks into my new place.

What I meant to say is I found a live bug on my
    pillow the same day that I opened the contaminated suitcase and left it open on my bed for about an hour.

FWIW it has been near 7 weeks since I moved into this new place.

3. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 20:55:15
    #

Login to Send PM

The dead one looks like an adult male.
    I've never seen a female.
    I'm not an expert.
    Hopefully an expert will comment.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Dec 6 2017 10:07:32
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 13 hours ago  » 
    The dead one looks like an adult male.
    I've never seen a female.
    I'm not an expert.
    Hopefully an expert will comment.

Stop giving "advice."

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  5. Mawiwala

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Dec 6 2017 10:44:25
    #

Login to Send PM

The first one is not an adult, it is a nymph. Not sure what stage it is. Nymph have this tan color and the black spot is digested blood. Adult are much darker. You can‘t tell the gender in the nymph stage, they look the same.

Bad news is that there at least have been a pregnant female in your place which have laid eggs.

Second pic could be part of a bed bug nymph in an earlier stage but not sure on this.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Dec 6 2017 12:16:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Mawiwala - 1 hour ago  » 
    The first one is not an adult, it is a nymph. Not sure what stage it is. Nymph have this tan color and the black spot is digested blood. Adult are much darker. You can‘t tell the gender in the nymph stage, they look the same.
    Bad news is that there at least have been a pregnant female in your place which have laid eggs.
    Second pic could be part of a bed bug nymph in an earlier stage but not sure on this.

First is a late instar nymph. You can see many pale sections of membrane in between the hardened sections of the body in nymphs. This is evident in the abdominal section in the picture. Nymphs also have 2 segmented tarsi; adults, 3. These are hidden in the picture. First instar nymphs that have not fed have no digested blood spot in the gut, otherwise most times there is blood being digested in the gut. Adults can be darker, but in those that haven't fed in some time, body is pale brown or tan. True, you can't tell the gender of the nymph stages. 2nd picture is of a bed bug pronotum and prothorax and some attached leg parts.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. firedogx

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Dec 8 2017 1:23:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Decided to bump this post with new evidence and requesting another ID rather than making a new thread.

Can I get an ID on this? Is this a cast skin? First photo in album is just showing the size of it after I destroyed it. https://m.imgur.com/a/vIqlF

Mawiwala - 1 day ago  » 

Regarding the bad news; I did have it confirmed by my old roommates that the previous house was infested. These new bugs were found in my suitcase. Which wasn’t opened until 3 weeks after I moved in. Which let at the very least one live adult make out, I sprayed the suitcase down with alcohol about a week and a half later and set it out for two weeks. We are now at present day with me finding these dead bugs, probably a result of the spray. I don’t feel like I have to worry about a female reproducing in my home, but possibly a baby or two growing when they arose from the suitcase. Hopefully it’s just one... or if two, both male. Hopefully not more. It’s been 7 weeks since I moved so I feel like I would know by now..

8. Mawiwala

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Dec 8 2017 5:32:49
    #

Login to Send PM

It‘s not a skin. Not sure if insect related.

I hope the best for you.

9. firedogx

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Dec 8 2017 12:06:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Mawiwala - 6 hours ago  » 
    I hope the best for you.

Perhaps I’m just seeing what I want to see at this point due to the shape of it (although I don’t want to see bedbugs or the signs, haha)

Perhaps Lou or Dummy might comment with an insight if it’s bug related at all.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Dec 8 2017 13:48:33
    #

Login to Send PM

firedogx - 1 hour ago  » 

Mawiwala - 6 hours ago  » 
    I hope the best for you.

Perhaps I’m just seeing what I want to see at this point due to the shape of it (although I don’t want to see bedbugs or the signs, haha)
    Perhaps Lou or Dummy might comment with an insight if it’s bug related at all.

Not bed bug related. You're reading too much into it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,806 posts in 43,548 topics over 131 months by 19,076 of 19,668 members. Latest: tireddddddd, bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1