Reporting Bedbugs to Health Agency

(9 posts)
  1. Zycron

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 6 2007 9:43:05
    #

Login to Send PM

My son and I recently stayed at a Cornwall, Ontario motel that we discovered the next morning was infested with bedbugs. The motel owner seemed unconcerned when we showed him a bag containing a number of bedbugs we collected from the beds. He said we brought them to get a free room.

My concern is that he will do nothing and the problem will spread.

To what Canada or Ontario public health agency do I report bedbugs? Will they inspect the hotel? Is there any enforcement mechanism for ensuring bed-bug free travel accommodations?

2. torontobedbugger

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 6 2007 9:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

unfortunatelly not. public health toronto says that bedbugs are "nuisance" but they can't do anything because THEY ARE NOT A THREAT TO PUBLIC HEALTH!!!! i called them when my previous apartment was infested. the hotel managers and landlords in ontario can just profit from the lack of legislation re: bedbugs.

3. persona-non-bugga

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 6 2007 14:42:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Zycron - That motel owner is in denial or just plain wicked. If you caught several bugs, you're probably not the first person who's complained. If you haven't done so already, please consider putting up a review of the motel on Trip Advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g181722-Cornwall_Ontario-Hotels.html

Even if gov't agencies ignore this, these hotel reviews have a real impact on the marketplace. Hit him where it hurts - in his wallet.

4. torontobedbugger

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 6 2007 14:53:11
    #

Login to Send PM

i agree with persona-non-bugga. it is typical of landlords and hotel managers in ontario to accuse you of spreading infestation.

5. Zycron

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 6 2007 23:26:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice. I will review the hotel in Trip Adviser. My son and I had hundreds of bites, and when I think of those bugs crawling over me while I slept. Yeuck!

I believe that people who haven't experienced bedbugs do not appreciate how difficult and invasive the experience is. I certainly didn't. We just need to convince the legistlators and health boards.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 7 2007 1:09:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Zycron,

Tripadvisor is good, as is registering the motel on thebedbugregistry.com (which lists infested addresses--both apartments and businesses like hotels).

I would also encourage you to call the local health department. Even though they do not classify bed bugs as a health risk, I am sure Canadian hotels have to pass inspections and pests would affect that. If they cannot help, it will at least let them know you are pissed off. If enough people complain it can make a difference.

Cornwell, Ontario's public health agency is here:

Eastern Ontario Health Unit
    1000 Pitt Street
    Cornwall, Ontario K6J 5T1
    Tel: (613) 933-1375
    Fax: (613) 933-7930
    Web: Engish - http://www.eohu-bseo.on.ca/home/index_e.php
    Francais - http://www.eohu-bseo.on.ca/home/index_f.php
    Acting Medical Officer of Health: Dr. Paul Roumeliotis
    Board of Health Chair: Mary Johnson

(I got this via http://www.alphaweb.org/ont_health_units.asp which lists local health agencies in Ontario.)

I am not sure if this is the right agency to try, but they can probably tell you who handles hospitality industry inspections.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Zycron

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 7 2007 8:26:04
    #

Login to Send PM

More than a week ago, I sent an email with photos to the EOHU with a request to notify me once they had contacted the hotel. That was to give me closure on the issue. I had not heard back from them. Perhaps I was given the wrong contact, and I will try the people you suggest.

As for the review, the Anchor Motel is indepently owned and Trip Advisor didn't list it. WorldWeb.com did and I posted a review there (it won't appear for a couple of days). What I would really like to do is write an article for a popular magazine, so that people can be aware of their vulnerability.

By way of comment, this website is amazing. The fact that there is a "support group" for bedbugs is a perfect indication of just how traumatic an attack is.

8. torontobedbugger

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 7 2007 8:54:59
    #

Login to Send PM

local MPs should be also contacted especially because now it's the time of the local elections. they should really do something about it!

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 7 2007 9:45:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Zycron,

Try giving them a call. It's great to follow up and let them know you aren't going to let this drop.

And sorry that the onus is on us to do all this agitating, but I think it makes a difference when it all adds up.

Toronto,

Absolutely!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.