Renting a Uhaul truck to Heat treat my stuff

(17 posts)
  1. Kendra Fuller

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 10:50:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm thinking about renting a uhaul truck and putting a couple heaters in it with fans to kill bb on our stuff. Any suggestions to what kind of heaters to use? I am moving to a new appartment and don't want to bring bugs with me. I am pregnant and broke, I need a solution. HELP!!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 11:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Thermal work is not that simple.

It could take you 3 months of testing each day to make sure that it works 100% of the time and by which time it would most likely cost too much.

Sorry but what you are trying to do is complex and with bedbugs its not advisable to cut corners.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  3. popgoesabedbug

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 11:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

heat treatment does work. BUT alot of time and money is poured into it.
    1. you have to heat it up to 140 degrees most say 120 but lets stick with the 140 for a min. Most use propane heaters the big heavey duty ones.
    2. u have to watch what ur putting in there cause you can damage alot of stuff and maybe if catch it on fire! ( bad thing)
    3. you have to maintain this heat for serval hours like 8 theres debate on how long but no less than 6.
    4. you have to make sure the temp is reaching everything. but you cant open the door cause ull loose all heat then u start all over. cant stand inside and babysit it cause you'll die from too much heat.
    5. please be safe in this matter use common sense heat works but may damage everything in the process.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 11:38:11
    #

Login to Send PM

popgoesabedbug - 8 minutes ago  » 
    heat treatment does work. BUT alot of time and money is poured into it.
    1. you have to heat it up to 140 degrees most say 120 but lets stick with the 140 for a min. Most use propane heaters the big heavey duty ones.
    2. u have to watch what ur putting in there cause you can damage alot of stuff and maybe if catch it on fire! ( bad thing)
    3. you have to maintain this heat for serval hours like 8 theres debate on how long but no less than 6.
    4. you have to make sure the temp is reaching everything. but you cant open the door cause ull loose all heat then u start all over. cant stand inside and babysit it cause you'll die from too much heat.
    5. please be safe in this matter use common sense heat works but may damage everything in the process.

Pop,

I appreciate that you want to help people, but does it occur to you that there are actually people with expert knowledge on this topic? I am not one of them but I know enough to know where some of the pitfalls lie.

I have read enough here about attempts to DIY heat treatment which have ended in fires, damage to property, and bed bugs surviving.

Heat teatment for bed bugs is not just getting to a certain temperature and maintaining it.

There are different kinds of heat-- convection works much better than conduction in killing bed bugs. You need a system which does not allow for cold spots, which bed bugs will hide out in and survive.

It's okay to share your experience but please do not try and give advice to others on the forum.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. popgoesabedbug

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 11:59:30
    #

Login to Send PM

ok please be aware that heat treatment does work but please make sure u read everything you can on the matter. Also I dont think U- Haul will let you put the the truck at risk of fire or damage. And nobugs is right there are different ways to achive ur goal. With out anybody( experts) standing next to you seeing what you are seeing all we are doing is trying to help you the best we know how. I would not recommend heat to kill cause of the risk. But you can use different methods to get the same results.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 12:13:31
    #

Login to Send PM

popgoesabedbug - 12 minutes ago  » 
    ok please be aware that heat treatment does work but please make sure u read everything you can on the matter. Also I dont think U- Haul will let you put the the truck at risk of fire or damage. And nobugs is right there are different ways to achive ur goal. With out anybody( experts) standing next to you seeing what you are seeing all we are doing is trying to help you the best we know how. I would not recommend heat to kill cause of the risk. But you can use different methods to get the same results.

Heat or Vikane can be used to treat a truck but both must be done by experienced professionals.

Beyond this, I don't agree that there are different ways to kill bed bugs in a truck with any certainty.

Note that this is very different from treating a home, where if it does not kill them all, you can keep treating. If you're relocating, it needs to be right the first time.

7. Kendra Fuller

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 12:40:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe instead of heat we can use bombs? I do want to be safe. I also don't want to risk my pregnancy with chemicals. I am at a total loss. I only have about 100 bucks to spend and need a remedy.

8. Kendra Fuller

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 12:42:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so tempted to just have a bonfire and burn everything I own and move into a new apartment naked, with nothing at all. So frustrated...

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 12:47:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Kendra Fuller - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Maybe instead of heat we can use bombs? I do want to be safe. I also don't want to risk my pregnancy with chemicals. I am at a total loss. I only have about 100 bucks to spend and need a remedy.

I'm sorry, but we are told bombs and foggers don't work.

You can kill bed bugs in clothing and other similar items by running them through a hot dryer.

Furniture and other items are very tricky. I have seen quotes as low as $400 for treating items in a pod with Vikane, but I am not sure of any good options for treating furniture, etc. for $100.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 12:49:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Is staying in your current apartment a bit longer an option? If you get treatment there, and eliminate the pests, it may be possible to move without bed bugs.

11. Kendra Fuller

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 13:08:44
    #

Login to Send PM

The landlord is really cheap and has only treated our apartment. And I am 99% sure the upstairs neighbors that just moved her a month ago are where the bugs are coming from. They deny having them, but we had no bugs till they came here from new york. The exterminator came a week and a half ago, did an inspection and found NOTHING! (But treated our apartment because I had caught 4 in zip lock bags that I found crawling around the floor.) and we just started seeing the bugs again. None in the bed or furnature, just crawling across the lenoleum in the kitchen(witch seems wierd to me) We EMPTIED our apartment for the exterminator to spray and we washed and dried EVERYTHING cloth. We also threw away all of our furnature except for the bed, witch has NO SIGN of bed bugs. We checked everything meticulously as we moved it back in( stereo, dvds, dishes, books etc.) Never saw 1 bug. But here we are a week and a half later and I am catching them on the floor in zip lock bags and freezing them. I am afraid to tell the landlord that they are still here. She makes me feel guilty, like its my fault because I am the only one complaining. I don't want to stay here any longer. I feel like it will just get worse. Maybe I can treat my stuff myself, cause I have so few of them, if any at all, in my belongings.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 13:35:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Kendra Fuller - 24 minutes ago  » 
    The landlord is really cheap and has only treated our apartment. And I am 99% sure the upstairs neighbors that just moved her a month ago are where the bugs are coming from. They deny having them, but we had no bugs till they came here from new york. The exterminator came a week and a half ago, did an inspection and found NOTHING! (But treated our apartment because I had caught 4 in zip lock bags that I found crawling around the floor.) and we just started seeing the bugs again. None in the bed or furnature, just crawling across the lenoleum in the kitchen(witch seems wierd to me) We EMPTIED our apartment for the exterminator to spray and we washed and dried EVERYTHING cloth. We also threw away all of our furnature except for the bed, witch has NO SIGN of bed bugs. We checked everything meticulously as we moved it back in( stereo, dvds, dishes, books etc.) Never saw 1 bug. But here we are a week and a half later and I am catching them on the floor in zip lock bags and freezing them. I am afraid to tell the landlord that they are still here. She makes me feel guilty, like its my fault because I am the only one complaining. I don't want to stay here any longer. I feel like it will just get worse. Maybe I can treat my stuff myself, cause I have so few of them, if any at all, in my belongings.

I am sorry you are going through that.

Most treatments take two or three applications, spaced about 10-14 days apart. Some take more. It is not at all unusual that you would have bed bugs 10 days after one treatment, and it does not mean treatment is failing or bed bugs are bein introduced.

I would definitely ask for retreatment ASAP. Even if you're moving, it will give you a better shot.

13. Kendra Fuller

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 13:45:29
    #

Login to Send PM

The problem is, the landlord thinks that one spraying was it. And she gave ma a guilt trip, saying it cost her a thousand dollars . She is doing it half-assed. I don't even think he was a professional. He came with his son, and didn't give us any directions for what happens next, or if he was coming back or anything. Just that 6 hours after they left that we could move back in and set up the house again. Why would they say to set home back up if they are just going to want to do it all over again, or will they work around our stuff next time. UUUGGGGHHH! Will I have to remove all our clothing, towels, linens,etc. and wash them again?

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 15:36:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, that does not sound great.

Depending where you live, you may be able to get the city to assist you in enforcing the local
    laws. In NYC, or Boston, for example, you can get an inspector to come.

15. audiojunky

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 21:38:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I went through the same thing you did. The landlord would not do anything and I could never find a bug. The difference here is that you have, and now it is confirmed.

I rented a Uhaul truck, moved, treated it with vikane before moving things in, got rid of a TON of stuff.. spent hundreds if not close to a couple of thousand dollars... and guess what? The problem is now at my new place.

My advice to you...: Start documenting. Send her a letter with mail confirmation, and if you can only communicate by email or confirmed mail. Call up a tenants rights lawyer, salvage your stuff and get the treatment that you need before you go somewhere. Once you have one of these f***ers in a bag, it is in the best interest of your landlord to treat the problem and they can't give you the run-around. If she doesn't deal, your lawyer might tell you to give notice that you are abandoning due to a situation that is not livable.

Also, take pictures of your bites and date them in a folder on your HD. DO NOT hand over the bug to the landlord... be there when the pest guy is there. Get it in writing. If you have to, show the landlord and the pest guy TOGETHER the bug and the pictures of the bites documented. She/he might then s*it their pants and understand that any neglect is not going to hold up in court.

If you decide to move and not take care of this there... and you decide to throw away all of your stuff etc... I have news for you. I tried just about the same thing. Literally hopped into clean clothes from the shower, and out of my old apartment into a detailed car... sprayed my shoes... did EVERYTHING... and it is still here. Fight the fight where it is and save yourself the $ for the long run.. and then when the lawyer tells you to move you have a better shot at recouping moving costs and everything else.

Just my two cents.

16. Kendra Fuller

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 13 2012 10:15:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for all the advice. I had a long conversation with the landlord last night and he agreed that he needs to fix the problem and he doesn't want us to have to move. We will just bring them with us. So he said he will get the exterminator back here ASAP. I still don't think he plans to treat the whole building though, due to no one else getting bit or seeing any bugs. I just don't want to finally think they are gone, Fix up the house and bring in all our new baby shower stuff if they will just show up again in a month. My baby is my first priority. I want to protect him/her BEFORE he/she gets here. I woke up this morning with about 6 or 7 bites down the back of my arm. Tore the bed apart, Thoroughly inspected the double sided sticky tape I wrapped around my bed posts, and NO SIGN OF A BUG ANYWHERE!!! Is there an end in sight? Any success stories?

17. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 13 2012 11:07:38
    #

Login to Send PM

If you do need to move your best option would be to contact a fumigator in advance, learn how you have to pack the truck/trailer and have it fumigated between your old home and new home. That way you can be as sure as possible that you are arriving at the new location bed bug free. Just be careful with any suitcases or things that are not fumigated and try to avoid that.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,460 posts in 29,269 topics over 90 months by 12,626 of 19,871 members. Latest: stanton, advisemeplease, litetide