Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Removing Carpet?

(11 posts)
  1. NeverSurrender

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Dec 14 2011 22:18:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Found out two relatives of a friend of mine who had BBs two years ago. One had a good friend who was the PCO that treated both NY apartments. The PCO instructed both people to remove all the carpeting in their homes. Long story short and after a couple of treatments they have both been BB free for two years. My question is, along with a good PCO and treatment, what are your opinions about the idea of removing carpeting? Is it typically a "hot spot?"

2. NeverSurrender

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 15 2011 1:09:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgot to mention that my upstairs neighbor removed his carpet and put down hardwood floors and then our BB infestation began.

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 15 2011 1:26:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear neversurrender,

We typically pick up carpet to inspect & treat along the tack strip on W2W carpeting as this area is a potential harborage.

To have a "blanket policy" or recommendation to remove carpets due to BBs is probably a tad extreme. (I'd hate to see people lose or destroy assets unnecessarily.)

Ideally, we'd like to restore the BB victim's life and abode to what it was like prior to the BB occurrence with as little intrusion as possible.

Some say that we're trying to do all the work and leave the residence such that it does not look as if the work was done at all. An honorable quest even if difficult to attain given the comprehensive approach.

Inspecting & treating the places where the BBs actually are is the key to success. And, this may not be the carpet in some cases.

Hope this answers your question, thx ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  4. soretit

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 15 2011 8:50:05
    #

Login to Send PM

In answer to your questions about carpets I would get rid of mine if I could.

Its not that they might be in the carpet so much as to inspect under the carpet, ie the floorboards and floorspace you have to lift the carpet.
    And this is just another encumbrance and complication and while the carpet remains I will always be unable to check the floor area quickly and with as little disturbance as possible.

Until I get rid of them ( the bugs) I need to be able to get to any area of my abode quickly, immediately and at any time and under any circumstance.

But as to you or anybody ripping up expensive carpets or the like, I cannot advise as it is a serious decision to act on, should you decide it is a wise, reasonable and/or usefull path to follow.

Personally I would do it as soon as I finished posting this, but I rent this flat and the carpet has to stay.
    I also would end up living in little better than a box with four walls , a ceiling and a floor.
    Not good.
    As I said in my very first post that we may as well all return to living in caves if we have to strip our homes of everything that makes them places we want to feel relaxed and comfortable in.

That is why we really can only find a practical solution in there being research into establishing an effective way of making these creatures incapable of reproduction.
    Or breathing.
    We have to change their habits, not ours.
    Its selfish, because they do have as much right to exsist as we do, but they got themselves in to this pickle by picking on an animal that has developed things like nuclear weapons.
    Its them OR us.
    I'm rooting for us.

Carpets? I like carpets.
    But, personally speaking, if they are a part of the problem they are not part of the solution.

5. bbgirl

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 15 2011 12:30:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Just from my own observations (not an expert) they seem to harbour around the edges as they don't like exposed areas like the open area of floors and rooms. Some judiciously and carefully applied DE around the edges of the room can help a lot. Assuming you don't have children and pets that could be exposed.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 15 2011 16:30:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear bbgirl,

That's an astute observation.

I visit "BB ground zeros" all the time and rarely do I find them strolling across, harboring or resting at the middle of the carpet. For the most part, they are found along the edges and harboring in the hollow provided by the tack strip.

As such, wholesale removal of carpeting may not be necessary nor should it be a blanket policy.

paul b.

7. soretit

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 15 2011 17:56:00
    #

Login to Send PM

With respect, because I agree with you both, I have only seen them at the edges too.
    Thats because my carpet is not transparent.
    I am not being facetious, I respect your accurate assumption, but a bare floor can be washed/treated very quick and if it doesnt kill them all you can stamp on them real hard with a 100% guarentee you aint going to ruin any carpet by doing so.
    I've seen them running across a carpet and thats partly why I have a collection of twenty.
    Maybe they came with the carpet.
    Who knows?
    But yes I agree they seem to be wall flowers.

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 15 2011 18:35:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Bull Durham !

I call it the Bull Durham concept wherein Kevin Costner's character says something like: "If he thinks he's batting 500 cause he wears lady's underwear, then he is."

As such, if what you're doing works for you then stick with it.

It is said 'there's a thousand ways to skin a cat' (Don't know, never tried or seen this attempted.) and there's probably even more ways to kill bed bugs.

As for me and my clientelle, unless the carpet needs replacement, we're pretty much going to lift the edges, treat as we do and leave the carpet on the floor.

It works for us no matter which type of underwear is worn at the time.

: ) paul b.

9. Rosae

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 15 2011 20:00:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I found many bed bugs while washing acryl bath mats, about 20 in some of them.

I still have the bath mats in bags but I consider to throw the bags away unopened, together with the bad memories.

10. soretit

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 16 2011 8:42:24
    #

Login to Send PM

So in my estimation you make about 2500 for a five day week.
    Nice work if you can get it.
    And I am sure you do. Lol.

And you can call me anything you like mate, if it increases the knowledge of how to combat them.

I try to put down the plain facts and let people run with it
    And if they disagree, great. I could be wrong.

So if you think ripping out the carpets is overkill put in plain English please.
    I mean you are a professional, I believe?

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 16 2011 13:12:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have to say that even in the heaviest of infestations I have never found it necessary to remove flooring even in cases where the property is the source for all adjoining neighbours (our nightmare cases) in fact for us we get the best results through the deal with it "in situ" model. It would be different had I access to something like the insect inferno trailer (take it out and deal with the items while you deal with the home approach).

It may be that your friends infestations were more engrained, more advanced or localised to the flooring area because of a feature of their property and room configuration but that is far from saying it is a hard and fast rule. I know others who actually prey before treatment or follow other rituals most of which fall into the "if it works for you camp". I have even been crystal guardian-ed by a few clients as they said it made them feel better about what I was doing. I am usually happy to oblige so long as they understand that the crystals are likley to have little or no bearing on how they get bedbugs and they are even less likely to have any preventative properties either.

I say so long as its not a focus of the issue keep the carpet but where possible always save disposal / replacement until after you know the issue has been resolved.

The priority for me is always getting rid of the issue not the contents of peoples homes.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.