Recent treatment. More bites!?

(3 posts)
  1. Katie1226

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 21:56:54
    #

Login to Send PM

About a month ago, my boyfriend and I discovered what we assumed were bed bugs. We initially had no signs other than the bites. We contacted the landlord, who sent an exterminator to do an inspections. They said there were no signs of bedbugs. About a week after the inspection, I found one live and one dead bedbug. I put them in baggies and the landlord had the exterminator check them, when they were then confirmed to be bedbugs. They gave us the preparation list which I followed to a T. Every single piece of fabric and linen in the apartment was washed on hot and dried for an hour or more on hot and then sealed in bags and also in totes. Today, the exterminator came to do a heat treatment in the apartment and I believe they also sprayed something after. I have been back in the apartment for about 4 hours and have 6 bites that were most definitely not there before I reentered. Did the treatment fail? Am I going crazy? Is it just a delayed reaction from bites I may have gotten last night and it's just coincidental that they appeared during the few hours I have been back in the apartment? Any information would be helpful. My mental state is wearing thin lately after dealing with all of this.

2. Chucklehead

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 16:02:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Katie,
    I’m sorry to hear you are dealing with this situation. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I want to share my experience. I had heat treatment done and it did not work the first time. That being said, there are studies out there saying you might encounter dead bugs walking within the first week, meaning there reproductive system has been destroyed but they can still bite you. I don’t know how much credence I put into these studies, because I’ve had other exterminators tell me that if they don’t die instantly, it didn’t work.

Also, since my ordeal, I’ve dealt with PTSD, and I frequently get “phantom” bites. Itching sensations similar to the BB bites, but nothing is there. I also freak out when I get any skin blemish. Usually this stuff goes away after a few hours. The psychological and mental trauma far exceeds the physical.

I recommend you stay persistent with treatment, keep on the look out for any signs, and stay in touch with the landlord about it. The good news is that most exterminators have warranties and they will do the procedure again no charge.

Also, I’m far from an expert, just a guy who’s whole life was flipped upside down over the summer. Best of luck

3. Katie1226

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 18:44:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your insight. I feel as if I will forever be paranoid of bed bugs. I would never wish them upon anyone. We are keeping an eye out. No new bites as of today, so I think it's going to be a waiting game for now. I've been habitually checking and rechecking the furniture for any bugs probably much more than necessary, but I literally cannot stop thinking about stupid bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd