Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

re-"this is so insane"

(8 posts)
  1. swift2cruz

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 29 2014 12:49:06
    #

Login to Send PM

i am going to try some lavender pine sol today so i decided to search the site for using it and what i stumbled upon is and old post called "this is so insane". it seemed to rile a lot of people and get many responses when a member mentioned catching a live bug and doing an experiment with it. more people were hoping to catch a live bug to do experiments as well.

that made me think that everyday i wake up i have them on my bed (down to 2-1 a day and nymphs but i kill them every morning). they dont leave my bed because (as directed) i have planted DE around my base and covered my mattress' so i think they are falling from the ceiling (which i have also heard these nasty things do) and avoiding the DE. so i am going to see how many i can catch and see how the products i have been trying are actually working and time their deaths.

i am very interested by this because i am finding many dead bugs and unsure if its the heat, the DE or the periodic alcohol sprays i have been applying. so if anyone is interested (or equally curious) i will be updating this post from time to time after i start my trials tomorrow. im sort of excited because once i find out which works the best is probably the one i will concentrate most my time to (instead of running around like a mad woman balancing these products) and i get to see how well and long it take for original pine sol to work (because the DE takes 7-10 days and is VERY annoying to clean and reapply every 4 days), and i am also going to try lavender pine sol to see if there are any differences.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 29 2014 13:36:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Often things get heated when people experiment because some of the recommendations and conclusions that people draw after 1 case are not logical and sometimes not safe. I appreciate that we have no personal liability or responsibility for others but the forums reputation is built on offering solid advice. As such when someone insists on offering bad advice some of us will insist on point out that it is bad advice.

Personally I would drop the pinesol and stick with DE and alcohol / detergent solution because the DE offers a slow but effective residual action and the alcohol / detergent is an affective contact killer but does not need to be blanket sprayed around the place.

As anyone who works with bedbugs will tell you getting it right can be a steep learning curve and to complicate a self-treatment by wondering off the path too much will not always get you tot he end point faster and may in fact result in you being one of those who live with bedbugs for months and months because they knew better.

Hope that explains some of the points.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. swift2cruz

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 29 2014 13:49:06
    #

Login to Send PM

4. swift2cruz

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 29 2014 13:52:50
    #

Login to Send PM

i am going clean my floors and pick the DE up with pine sol and water, wait for it to dry, and then reapply DE (which is cleaning procedure anyway). and i dont know where you get this "months and months" from because i have been fighting them (nonstop) for a week since this started i am doing a great job at keeping them in one room and cutting down population! also, if i am fighting this still come next month i am going to spring for the PCO!
    and i am not the first to try an experiment with them! i dont know what your problem is with me but if you keep bothering me i will go to the admin! i am going to use tall glasses and use the products i have been using to treat them. and i will make sure everyone knows that there are other factors and this is one persons results! maybe you think im stupid or something but i have a college diploma and medical license! also, i am a very brilliant individual who reads AND FOLLOWS the rules!
    obviously, considering the fact that i didnt know ANYTHING about bed bugs 7 days ago i would say i did my homework FAST AND THOROUGHLY! and the three PCOs i have already seen has given me wonderful props for my steps and determination! so, for the second time, if you dont have any useful information for me, please leave me alone. find someone else to pick on!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 29 2014 13:56:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi swift2cruz,

The "months and months" refers to cases where people endure bedbugs for very long periods of time, I was not commenting upon your case. One of the worst examples was a person who moves multiple times, spend 10's of thousands on various treatments, always resisted posting confirming signs and years later actually listened to someone who pointed out the issue was never bedbugs but pscocids.

I am not bothering you, if you have that impression let me make it clear that is not the case. I tend to only read the text of posts and reply to them, if I were to track names and previous information after the years I have participated in this forum and others online my head would be fried.

I am sorry that you have misread my intentions to help and to explain some of the background.

David

6. swift2cruz

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 29 2014 14:34:35
    #

Login to Send PM

well, it really seems like you are targeting me like im stupid and trying to correct everything i say or do. and i am using products that work together and using them correctly. example: alcohol for battery operated toys before bagging. pine sol for cleaning. DE as a barrier and main treatment. painting for small cracks, see main areas of infestation, and limiting bb access in my home (and might i add that i bought killz interior latex, recommended by a PCO, and lightly dusting edges of ceilings and outlets with DE, also recommended).

i am very miserable right now! my bb experience isnt any better or worse than the average parents, but its my daughters birthday and my anniversary next month and my children are going to florida until this is situated and i have never been away from them! the last thing i need is to feel as though someone is constantly correcting me on non important matters (such as paragraph formation and where to write what) when i am literally breaking my back from 5 am to 11 pm and still not sleeping.

and i am very curious about what products work best (just like a lot of newbites). i am a smoker so im smart enough not to drench my house in alcohol and would never suggest anyone use it as a main sorce, if pine sol works well than i clean more often and regardless i will still continue using DE and heat. and if you truly had the best interest out then i apologize but i am not a child and next time instead of just correcting me try adding some positive feedback, and that should go for anyone you talk to on here because my heart goes out to all these victims and none of us should feel attacked.

7. confusedvictim

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 29 2014 18:07:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll be watching for your updates! Im curious to see what works for other people. I know this site isn't intended for people to post ideas that aren't proven to work BUT every forum i've read where experts/qualified people answer others questions about treatment...they all get told the same things. Sometimes the "proper" way to handle bedbugs just doesn't work. So it'll be nice to see other ways that may have worked for someone else to at least try.

Im not saying for everyone to go out and pollute their homes with harmful chemicals or anything but if everyday household products like lavender pine sol MAY work...i'll definitely try it.

8. swift2cruz

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 30 2014 10:28:36
    #

Login to Send PM

well, there were no bed bugs this morning when i got up with my husband at 4 am (yay). so i cant do an individual treatment of them, but i can say that when using the lavender pine sol last night the bugs actually CAME OUT of their hiding and died within a minute of being sprayed. but they have been coming into constant contact with DE so i dont know if they were already weak but whatever its worth, i am going to start using pine sol more often! i also read on another thread that someone sprayed their furniture with it, so that is a lot safer than using DE (like the instructions told me to do with it). just keep in mind that just because someone did it and it did not harm their furniture doesnt mean it wont harm yours, like david said earlier in the thread, the website is not responsible and i am only stating things i had heard from other forums.

last note for anyone interested in using pine sol, on the sites i heard of people using it as pest control they did half and half with water and pine sole OR water, dish soap, and pine sol (i used the half half mixture). dont apply straight pine sol unless you are willing to thoroughly rinse after application (not suggested). if i do get a chance to separate these demons and try one product at a time i will let everyone know what happens, logging dates and times! (ps- someone did experiments using TAPE, i will not be doing it like that! i am using tall glasses carefully placed so that will not have any chance of escape!)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234