Raw steak to "draw them out"???

(10 posts)
  1. Az Kev

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 13:17:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, before everyone jumps on this, let me start with a disclaimer here : this is NOT something I believe in or propose to do; it is something my ex-wife told my daughter, I think it's a bit kooky (as are many of my ex's "ideas") and I am trying to either confirm or deny that it is.

She told my daughter that to draw the bedbugs out, a person can put a raw steak under their bed, wait awhile, then simply spray and kill all the bugs when they come out to "feed" on the steak.

Is there ANY validity to that at all? To me, it sounds a bit crazy. It just seems whacky, and I find it hard to believe that raw steak, and the little bit of blood in it, would be a substitute for the warm blood that circulates through a living creature.

Can anyone offer some intelligent, accurate info about this so I can tell my daughter whether there is any truth to that or not? Thank you.

2. galiykr

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 13:46:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I am by no means an expert here, not even close, but I can't imagine that that would work. I think from what I've read on this site and other places, that bed bugs are attracted to the CO2 that mammals give off from breathing as well as the heat that we produce.

As steak is neither producing heat or C02, I can't imagine that bugs would be attracted to it. Yes, they feed on blood (which is why I'm assuming your ex is suggesting raw steak as bait) but it's not a live mammal. That's just my newbie guess though. Not sure what the experts will say.

3. Beth

account closed

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 14:26:08
    #

Login to Send PM

would be a fun experiment. it has been suggested bed bugs also are attracted to human pheromones, so maybe there would be something in the raw flesh that would attract them. Or maybe it would just make the bedroom stinky.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 14:38:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You seem to be following in the footsteps of people who would place animals in a room before a guest would come, so the bugs will have fed and the guest would have an easier time.

Not sure about the efficacy of steak as bait, but it sounds messy.

Bear in mind that a bug will only feed about once a week, so a single serving would not do. Also, bugs likely will not all be attracted to the bait over "the real thing".

Current thought is that the best bait for traps is CO2, there are a number of designs. Experts warn that these work best in unoccupied spaces and (except for some limited cases) are for detection only, not eradication (put another way, don't expect to trap all your BB).

In many of life's challenging situations, someone is likely to offer you a "helpful" suggestion of what you should "just" do. We hear a lot of "just"s in the BB world.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 14:39:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Not at all ... will this work. Cook me the steak and I'll come kill the bugs =)

6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 14:57:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a thought, rotting meat may well produce CO2, but I'd try ground meat rather than steak.
    How about real blood kept at proper temperature, pumped through a network of gore Tex "arteries"?

7. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 14:59:53
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Not at all ... will this work. Cook me the steak and I'll come kill the bugs =)

Use a box of Milano cookies, it will work better and faster ... lol

8. Az Kev

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 15:24:07
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 42 minutes ago  » 
    You seem to be following in the footsteps of people who would place animals in a room before a guest would come, so the bugs will have fed and the guest would have an easier time. .

Apparently, you failed to read the first few lines of my post :
    "Ok, before everyone jumps on this, let me start with a disclaimer here : this is NOT something I believe in or propose to do; it is something my ex-wife told my daughter"

I think, if you re-read that cilecto, you will see that your comments are entirely misdirected.

9. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 16:41:18
    #

Login to Send PM

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 17:19:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not jumping on you. I'm connecting what your ex said with what are now, or once were accepted practices in the fight against BB. My intent was to give you enough information with which to be able to have a confident discussion with your daughter or ex.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.