Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

QUESTIONS FOR PCO ON HEAT TREATMENT

(8 posts)
  1. anxiousaboutBBs

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 27 2016 16:47:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I have seen many posts about resilient bed bugs. I had the heat treatment and he did chemicals when done. He only brought 2 heaters and 2 fans for an apartment 900-1000 sq feet. They were there for about 11 hours or so. I guess it could be my anxiety about the whole situation, but do you think the heat was there long enough to kill a light infestation? I would hate to have paid that much money and they didn't heat it up long enough.

2. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 27 2016 18:27:57
    #

Login to Send PM

anxiousaboutBBs - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have seen many posts about resilient bed bugs. I had the heat treatment and he did chemicals when done. He only brought 2 heaters and 2 fans for an apartment 900-1000 sq feet. They were there for about 11 hours or so. I guess it could be my anxiety about the whole situation, but do you think the heat was there long enough to kill a light infestation? I would hate to have paid that much money and they didn't heat it up long enough.

I'm no expert and have never had heat treatment, but while I have researched it extensively, I'd say a total of 11 hours on the premises is actually a bit longer than most so I'd feel good in that aspect. Most that I've read are anywhere from 4-8 hours. It's good that they followed with chemicals but would be surprised if they didnt use a dust as most reputable heat treatment companies tend to use some afterwords. The two heaters for even a smaller house doesn't seem optimal which may be why they were on site for so long to make sure it got up to temp. but I'm not an expert so I'm not sure. I'd feel good about it if I were you.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. anxiousaboutBBs

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 27 2016 18:55:15
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 26 minutes ago  » 

anxiousaboutBBs - 1 hour ago  » 

I'm no expert and have never had heat treatment, but while I have researched it extensively, I'd say a total of 11 hours on the premises is actually a bit longer than most so I'd feel good in that aspect. Most that I've read are anywhere from 4-8 hours. It's good that they followed with chemicals but would be surprised if they didnt use a dust as most reputable heat treatment companies tend to use some afterwords. The two heaters for even a smaller house doesn't seem optimal which may be why they were on site for so long to make sure it got up to temp. but I'm not an expert so I'm not sure. I'd feel good about it if I were you.

They did use chemicals and dusted everywhere before they left.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Dec 28 2016 12:07:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Heaters are a lot like cars, as such the makes and models are what are needed to answer your question yes therwise it's just guessing. After all I could plug in an electric bfan heater into your home and run it for 11 hours with no benefit if it's out put is not high enough.

I would advise that it would be better to read up and look at ways to QC / QA their work and then feedback that to them as service providers with the hope that they are more professional in future.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Dec 28 2016 13:01:59
    #

Login to Send PM

There are also many details to a heat treatment that can make or break the deal. On the jobs I've worked I've actually found that a shorter duration, higher heat output using gas heaters to have superior results to longer duration, electric heat. It also has a lot to do with the team, monitoring voids, cold spots, turning items, recognizing potential harborage spots. Without being there I couldn't offer a proper opinion.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  6. anxiousaboutBBs

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Dec 28 2016 16:02:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I know for a fact they moved EVERYTHING lol my whole apartment was in shambles when I returned but a lot of my furniture was thrown away due to me getting new furniture before I found out I had bed bugs. I just refuse to bring any new furniture into the house yet.

They were electric heaters though. I guess when he comes back out next week I will have to ask him these questions. Don't get me wrong, he is a very nice guy and has been in business for over 25 years with no bad reviews that I can find anywhere on the internet. My anxiety is just getting to me and I need to make sure it was taken care of the right way. Thanks for your reponses!

7. FPSBrechin

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 1:40:27
    #

Login to Send PM

anxiousaboutBBs - 2 months ago  » 

Electric Heaters... In my professional opinion I'd say their is still a chance that you have bed bugs. For one you're in a apartment and electric heaters will not get to temperature as fast as they should and bed bugs can easily run into the house next door in the hour it takes to get to lethal temperature... 2... what if the bed bug infestation is next door and they are migrating to your house? Most pest control companies I know would tell the office they have to treat above, below, and beside of your unit so in total 5 units. 3... he more than likely did not stick around to move his fans around to hit cool spots like under the bed, and behind the headboard or under the dresser...

8. FPSBrechin

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 1:43:03
    #

Login to Send PM

also, what if they are in your living room? Did he only heat 1 room? What if you carried them into the living room?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,669 posts in 43,300 topics over 130 months by 18,985 of 19,564 members. Latest: BBRuth, nonono, Cleothecat