Question/Advice Please

(5 posts)
  1. Bree1950

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2011 20:59:33
    #

Login to Send PM

After having company in my home, I ended up two weeks later with itchy bites on the top of my foot and my arm. One morning when I was getting ready for work, I saw two insects walking across my pillow. I thought these were bed bugs based on pictures at this site. I then encased box springs and mattresses in both bedrooms upstairs, cleaned off all furniture, began decluttering and placing items into plastic storage containers after cleaning. I placed DE around the baseboards in both bedrooms. I've been vacuuming! I went upstairs this evening to vacuum and inspect and found an adult bedbug at 7:00 PM stuck in the carpet fibers. I had to take a knife to remove it from the carpet. It was flat. I looked under a hand held light up magnifying lens (I purchased this at Radio Shack) and this was definately a bed bug! I was in an area under the bed. It was so stiff and stuck so hard to the carpet, it may have been dead. When I squished it with the knife, a brown residue came out. I've had no bites for 2 weeks. Is this possibly a bed bug who came out looking for food and the DE got to it as it travelled across the carpet??? What would anyone recommend I do next?? I can't afford to have a private sprayer come in since they all quoted me over the phone, in my area, that they begin charging at $5000.00 up!!! Thanks!

2. blargg

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2011 21:19:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Please post a picture if you can. Although you think you have bedbugs, you may not. An ID would be very helpful.

3. Bree1950

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2011 21:24:41
    #

Login to Send PM

A local university entomologist identified the first two and this one has the same characteristics.

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 23 2011 0:30:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Try and take a picture and post it. You don't really see a "brown residue" when they are as flat as you describe.

If it was dead I don't think it would have been that hard to pick up. Dead bed bugs are a good thing and you can find them any time after whatever type of treatment.

If it was alive it would have been moving and thus maybe more difficult to remove while it was clinging onto the carpet.

Best to post a picture .... I can't tell you how many people think they found a bed bug and show me yesterdays lunch, lint with legs, or other insects.

5. Bree1950

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 23 2011 3:25:55
    #

Login to Send PM

How do I attach a pic on these forums? Thanks

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,194 posts in 31,026 topics over 94 months by 13,446 of 20,852 members. Latest: TObedbugs, VinHatesCimex, meddler