Question Should I be worried?

(6 posts)
  1. applechick474

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 30 2009 10:25:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, I found out my apartment complex has had a tenant with bed bugs before. The rental company is boardwalk. They said it was a minimal amount (a couple of bugs?). When I phoned them they said that it was someone who sublet and it wasn't on my floor (not sure if they are telling me the truth). They moved out right after they found they had them. They also said they sprayed the whole building back in March and have had no complaints after the spraying they had been done. I talked to a couple of other residents and they have said they have never had an idea that there was bed bugs at one point. They said that they have been pretty much spraying monthly. What I'm worried about is that they have kept this secret from other tenants, and probably didn't spray the whole building properly. I heard the company they used to exterminate was Poulin's Pest Control Services in Regina SK. Anyone live in a complex that was previously infected? Did you eventually get them? Anyone have experience with Boardwalk dealing with BB issues? Is Poulin's a good company?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 30 2009 10:39:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you are worried about a building based issue the best thing you can do is communicate with all your adjoining neighbours including the floor below and above to make sure they know what to do in order to avoid bed bugs and why it is important to check and act quickly.

If you are really worries go two adjoinings in all directions and put some information up in the lobby about the problem.

If you want some sensible fact based newsletters for public education you can find some here:

http://www.bedbugbeware.com/spreadtheword.html

The best one to use is the neighbourhood 3 fold.

If you create an educated bubble of properties around you its the best defence you can have to adjoining property infestations.

From what you have said in the post though I would not be overly concerned if you cant find signs in your apartment. Its a horrid fact of life that bed bugs are spreading so quickly that sooner or later only new builds will have no bed bug history in a few years.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  3. applechick474

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 30 2009 16:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I just posted up a notice in the lobby of my building, I wonder if the land lord will get mad... He really should not be keeping these things secret though. There is an area that looked like it would have been perfect bed bugs (peeling kitchen floor behind the fridge). I live in a bachelor so its all one room. Along the wall and floor there is a huge brownish stain looks like it was caused by some sort of running liquid. Do you think this was from the use of pesticide? How successful is spraying normally? Do you think calling the pest company they used will give me any more information? The company (Boardwalk) seems to want to give me as little information as possible. The other day someone was moving out and I caught a little red bug on some two sided tape. The bug was about 1.5 mm it had quite long legs. I am not sure if it was bed bug. It rear section was crunchy and was hollow, but I'm not sure if this is because the bug was dead so long that it dried out. I took a look at it with a magnifying glass ... Along the back of it there were no horizontal segments. There were however very faint vertical lines. Does two sided tape even work?

Some really needs to make a bed frame that is really tall, and on the leg it would have a cup like thing that you could some put some sort of substance that would kill them or trap them that they would have to walk over to clime up onto you bed. But I guess they can also come from the roof .... sigh... Are there any animals that hunt them? Maybe a pet lizard?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 2 2009 1:22:25
    #

Login to Send PM

You should read the FAQ on protecting the bed, which has some suggestions similar to what you're describing.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. BJS

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 16 2009 18:17:47
    #

Login to Send PM

What apartment building are you in? If it's 2121 Smith Street, bachelor suite on the north side of the 2nd floor, it's likely my old place and yes it was infested with bed bugs. I feel very sorry for you if you signed a lease. If you speak to other people in the building you will come to realize that this has been a recurring problem. Sorry.

6. BJS

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 16 2009 18:21:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hahahahaha.......and as for bwalk telling you it was a couple of bugs, that is b.s. The females can lay up to a dozen eggs a day so there could be tons of them hiding out in the apartment. The worst part is that not all people react to the bites, so you might have them, not even know it, and then end up transporting them with you wherever you go (work, friends, family etc). They are absolutely horrid creatures. Watch your mattress and box spring. I would recommend getting the plastic covers for them asap. You can get them at Wal-Mart for about $10 each. Essentially it is a giant zip lock bag for your bed.

I only lived in that building for four days and I had a bed bug infestation like you wouldn't believe. Boardwalk is a disgusting disgusting landlord.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,370 posts in 28,325 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter