Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

question re Murphy's Oil Soap

(12 posts)
  1. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 9 2007 23:35:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Does anybody know about which Murphy's product at what dilution to use to kill bbs? I looked at my 'original formula' bottle of concentrate & there's no mention of of d-limonene. The Murphy's Oil Soap web site has no mention of d-limonene either. Is it the ready-to-use spray bottle of Murphy® Oil Soap Multi-Use Wood Cleaner with Orange Oil that is effective against bbs? The Murphy's web site says the following re their product with Orange Oil: "Due to differences in formulation, do not use other Murphy Oil Soap products as a refill for this spray".

2. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 1:18:47
    #

Login to Send PM

This question comes up every so often. I don't think the ingredients are listed for any of the Murphy's products, but the person who discovered the use of Murphy's Oil Soap as a contact killer, Dee in the bedbugger yahoo group, was clear that she used regular Murphy's Oil Soap concentrate.

She did not say how she diluted it. Just made it stronger than usual is what I recall she said. She researched it herself, or someone else did, and that's how the d-limonene ingredient was found. I'm not sure what the source is, but the main thing is that Dee used it herself and it worked for her.

This is a bit before my time but that's the story as I understand it.

The yahoo group is linked from the front page on the blog.

3. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 3:06:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks nomo!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 3:46:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe Lou Sorkin confirmed d-limonene has contact kill qualities (I could be misremembering) on the yahoo group--which suggests the orange version would also work. But I also remember that people confirmed the Murphy's effectiveness based on a visual observation. (Haven't used it myself but lots seem to have.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 11:48:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I was told by a professional that murphys orange has an ingredient that is a pesticide or found in pesticides and will contact kill.

6. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 11:58:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a question. I want to know how to use Murphy's oil soap? The only furniture that we have left is a few wooden dressers and our dining room table. I want to know how to treat them with the soap. I'm not a big fan on chemicals and don't have any in my house but I am willing to try this since it has been around for a long time. Besides, the spraying only confirmed my disbelief in chemicals!! Do I spray it on so the cracks are gotten or do I use a rag and wash or saturate and do I need to rinse?

7. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 13:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Angie, I have not used Murphy's as recommended, so I suggest you read from the source: read Dee's posts about Murphy's oil soap in the bedbugger yahoo group, link is on the blog.

8. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 13:51:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I read a few of Dee's posts on the yahoo group, and she said she used the original formula & sprayed her bed liberally, especially cracks & crevices. I couldn't go through all of her posts, & I couldn't find what dilution she used. Called the manufacturer & they looked at all of the ingredients & found none containing d-limonene ?d-lymonene?. They are snail-mailing me the ingredient lists for all Murphy's Oil Soap products. But she saw the bugs dying, so I'm tempted to try it using the 'tough jobs' dilution. Perhaps there are other cleaning products available that contain it...

9. itchyincharmcity

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 17:50:48
    #

Login to Send PM

There are lots of products containing d-limonene, I just googled it. Lots of them labeled as citrus cleaners.

What is d-limonene? http://www.floridachemical.com/whatisd-limonene.htm or http://www.biochemcorp.com/dlimonene2.htm

10. BuggedOut

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 19:15:46
    #

Login to Send PM

FYI - I found a product in Whole Foods called Orange Guard. It's a water-based pesticide and the primary active ingredient in it is listed as D-Limonene.

11. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 11 2007 12:26:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks itchy & bugged!

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 11 2007 21:31:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I may be misremembering. I'd go on the google list and search for d-limonene. You should find any information that way. I know this has been discussed there as well as the murphy's question.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.