Question on use of PackTite Passive Monitors

(6 posts)
  1. confused_1234

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 13:17:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe I read the inventor of this device is a contributor here, so I'm asking for a little guidance on its use. First, my situation, daughter and husband have been getting "bites" since we returned from vacation three weeks ago. We have looked and found no evidence yet of bed bugs. Had PCO out a week ago and he found no evidence yet either. He placed a Verifi by my daughter's bed (no CO2 pack). Nothing has shown up on or in it. I am still trying to do checks on as much as I can every day. I bought a PackTite Passive Monitor to place by each member of my family's sleeping location. We installed them last night on headboards, bed frames, or walls where we sleep.

Here are my questions on using the PackTite Passive Monitors:

1. Should I continue to check the sheets, mattress, bed frame every day as well as the PackTite? I didn't know if I might disturb something by moving the mattress in and out every day.

2. Once something is visible, will I be able to easily remove the whole PackTite and bag it? I used the sticky back to place them so I didn't know if in trying to pry it off the bugs would all scatter.

3. On my bed, I placed it on the wall down by the box springs. My bed does not have a head board so that seemed a good close place to the head of the bed. The bed itself does not currently come into contact with that wall though. Should I push the mattress/box springs up against the wall to touch the monitor (or at least around the monitor)?

Thanks for your help! We're really trying to get some kind of verification as to what is happening.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 13:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes I am something of a regular on the forum with a few posts.

To answer your questions:

1. No there is no need to check sheets and around the bed daily this this approach, once a week will suffice or after any "skin reactions" just to make sure its all clear. It is not to avoid disturbing the area, it is to avoid getting into obsessive behavioural patterns which are not good for your mental state.

2. Yes it is simple and easy to remove the unit once something is detected, just peel from one corner in a diagonal movement and the two rigid plates make sure there is little or no flex that could dislodge something. The reality however is that when I get them back to my facility for examination I literally have to bang them on the desk to shake loose anything that is harbouring inside.

3. The optimal install location will always be on the head end of the bed on the base or box section. So that any hidden bedbugs are more likley to discover it and consider it a better harbourage than their existing location. If they don't need to pass it then they are less likley to want to move into it. I have a page with ideal install sites which is linked below:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bedbugpassivemonitors.html

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor.

On my bed, I placed it on the wall down by the box springs. My bed does not have a head board so that seemed a good close place to the head of the bed. The bed itself does not currently come into contact with that wall though. Should I push the mattress/box springs up against the wall to touch the monitor (or at least around the monitor)?

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. confused_1234

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 13:39:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, David!

One more question, can I move them once stuck to a better location or do I need to buy new ones? In other words, will it re-stick?

Thanks again!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 13:44:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It should re-stick but it does really depend on the surface it was first applied to.

David

5. confused_1234

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 15:49:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Few more questions, David.

1. If someone sleeps on a couch, should the Packtite passive be installed on the liner right under the cushion where the head of the sleeper would be, or is it better to put it underneath on a slat inside the couch?

2. On a bed with slats and no boxspring, the pics show it on a slat in the middle up by the head of the sleeper, correct? I ask because some show it at the corner but the pdf shows it at the center of the slat.

3. On a bed with a board the mattress sits on (instead of slats) but still no boxsprings, is putting in on the board in the center by the head of the sleeper correct?

4. How long would it usually take for the Packtite passive to show bed bug activity if there were only a handful of bugs? Two of my kids and my husband showed fresh bites this morning (of course with delayed reactions possible who knows when the bites occurred) but all the Packtite passives are clean. We are thinking if we have them we brought a small number back with us from a hotel almost three weeks ago. We have searched and searched and can't find evidence of bed bugs (hence the Packtite passive purchase).

Thanks so much for your help! I really do appreciate it!!!

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 8:21:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

1 The sofa install is as show in the link at the top of the thread, i.e. on the front edge of the underside of the sofa, if the sleeping is a regular activity place the Passive at the head end.

2 The center of the slats is best, the corners will also suffice but I personally prefer the middle in case the bed occupant moves around , its always in close proximity but the reality is that its not critical.

3 Correct, if you want to add that bed type send me a picture and I will add it to the archives.

4 They have been shown to work as fast as 12 - 72 hours in independent field tests. However I advise 7 days is a good sign and 14 days may as well be an all clear, especially if you get on-going skin reactions. Most hotels who use the system are detecting at the 1 - 8 bedbug level so it certainly works to nip and early infestation in the bud.

Hope that explains.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

199,933 posts in 30,997 topics over 94 months by 13,435 of 20,842 members. Latest: Eva Dalyan, Robjecia, joe_f88