Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Question for Paul/experts: Bedlam Plus or any residual treatment

(7 posts)
  1. battlinbugz

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 28 2014 16:16:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi -

One time I sprayed Bedlam Plus directly on a bed bug and he was dead in a couple hours. The sample was in a small baggie. I don't THINK it was suffocation that did him in, since they need very little air according to what I read here.

How long does it take before walking across the residual takes effect and kills a bed bug? I would imagine it depends on the age of the bug and other factors.

This may not even be answerable because of "other factors" depending on how many there are, but I thought I'd ask.

(Note: I will say the residual works pretty quickly on silverfish, which BP is also indicated to control. It does well with them.)

Not a pro. I have some knowledge and a success story, both thanks to this site.
  2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 28 2014 16:34:26
    #

Login to Send PM

OK.

Let's all understand that to best kill bed bugs we need to assure we apply the residual to the harborage areas such that the bed bugs will have long term contact with the insecticide in order to assure that sufficient exposure to the pesticide is achieved.

Please note that a bed bug walking across a treated band, as if the pest guy sprayed a twelve inch swath, around your bed would likely not be killed from such an exposure.

This is so for a number of reasons but mostly because the critter did not pick up a sufficient dosage.

Not to confuse matters but, during lab studies a few years back we found that well fed bed bugs needed to be omitted from such residual exposure tests because their chubby bellies tended to rub along the treated surface which led to their demise. However, using such fed bed bugs skewed the results in favor of the pesticide product.

In any case, the bottom line is that you want to assure that your pesticide product of choice for bed bug control is applied in the harborage areas where bed bugs hide and spend much time.

Additionally, note that the imidacloprid (sp?), the same AI that's in Temprid SC is doing the primary work in killing the bed bugs in this formulation. Review of the Univ of AR data on wild caught bed bugs from poultry houses exposed to several different AIs (Active Ingredients) reveals that bed bugs resistant to DDT even at 100,000 PPM were being killed with as few as 4 ppm of imidacloprid during direct application type tests for LC 50 and LC 90 tests.

Please advise if any additional questions or concerns.

Hope this helps ! PJB

3. battlinbugz

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 28 2014 16:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Got it, Paul. That does help and it makes sense. I think, repeat THINK, I caught this early. Wish me the best on nailing down the harborage area (and I think I have).

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 28 2014 16:52:43
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello -  » 
    In any case, the bottom line is that you want to assure that your pesticide product of choice for bed bug control is applied in the harborage areas where bed bugs hide and spend much time.

Well either that or make sure your bed bugs are very well fed . . . so their chubby bellies will rub along the treated surfaces?!?! (KIDDING PEOPLE!)

battlinbugz -  » 
    Wish me the best on nailing down the harborage area (and I think I have).

As Nobugs said earlier battlinbugz . . . Go Get 'Em!!! (Seriously Good Luck!)

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 28 2014 17:05:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's the secret to bed bugs kids, and it ain't rocket science:

All you need do is inspect and treat all the places where the bed bugs are.

Of course doing so is a lot easier said then done and we need to make sure that we are being thorough plus there are other factors which need to be considered as well.

Good luck ! pjb

6. kcpestaway

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2014 0:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Well said, Paul. Lets hope the Bed Bugs are "giving thanks" this holiday season and enjoyed a feast to fatten them up! I can put my heaters away and just stick to the Temprid!

Hope you have been doing well,

Neil

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2014 23:04:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Neil, see you at the Thermal Remediation Conference.

Take care !

pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234