Question: Cold Temperature effects on bedbugs

(3 posts)
  1. Callisto

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 18:17:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

I just have some general questions about freezing. I know it's not a 100% reliable method, it's just that right now temperatures are fluctuating between -4 and -20 C (that's about 25 to -4 F for you folks on the imperial system) and I'm still utterly paranoid about my car. (and eventually temps will dip so they're fluctuating between -15 and -25 C or lower). Mainly I'm asking:

1. How long does it take bugs to go from cold-dormant to awake and hungry once things start to heat up?
    2. Would the constant freezing and thawing do them any harm? (I drive the car maybe once a week)
    3. Can I expect any of them to survive the winter in this fashion or should I still continue with my original plan to treat the car with something come spring and get it detailed?

Anything that can be said on the topic would be helpful to assuage my curiosity. I'm probably going to get the car detailed anyway, the poor little DOOM vehicle needs it :). In the interim, I've got decontaminatable outerwear that I use in the car and seal up in the apartment.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 21:20:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Callisto:

Cold seems to be one of the areas that are less clear than heat, perhaps because the tools for creating heat are simpler than those for creating cold (like why iced coffee costs more than hot). Steven Kells in the U of Minn Guide on Page 11 (link on the Resources page http://www.ipmctoc.umn.edu/Control_of_bedbugs_in_residences_US_Commercial.pdf) says (with disclaimer for further research):
    23F (uninsulated) for 5 plus days
    -15F (uninsulated) instantly

You could also Google for "cimex" "lectularius" "cold" from only ".edu" sites and see what comes up:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=cimex+lectularius+cold+site%3A.edu&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

When you make your plans, consider the possibility of your BB finding a warm, insulated place. That said, I'd guess that northern winters can be your friend.

Good luck.

Ci

3. Richard_Naylor

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 9:43:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Callisto,

The jury is still out, but check out this thread:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/should-i-treat-luggage-from-trip-and-garage-where-it-is-stored

The last 10 or so posts discuss the major issues in a similar situation.

R

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,341 posts in 28,321 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter