Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Question about Protect-A-Bed + My story

(11 posts)
  1. ExtremelyAngry

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 12:41:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I am a college student who recently moved in to my first 1br apartment this past September 2008. Soon after moving in someone started posting signs on residents’ doors warning us about bed bugs in the building. As a result the leasing company had an exterminator check the apartments. When they came to mine all they done was ask me if I had them (I said No) and the guy took a quick glance at the ceiling (looking for bugs?) and one of the seams of my bed. He told me if I had them I would see waste/fecal matter in that area, by the stitching. But my mattress was fairly new, had bought it only 1 year prior and it was spotless so he said it looked like I had never had them. I then Ieft town to complete an internship in a different state for a few months. I would come back to my apartment every other weekend to check on things and through my visits I learned that the bed bug concern had resurfaced in the building and while I had been gone exterminators had been checking and treating apartments.

The first Saturday morning I happened to come back they had planned to make extermination rounds that morning… I had no idea because I was gone they came wanting access at 8am and told me I needed to vacate the premises for at least four hours. When I started asking questions I *think* the guy told me something to the effect that they were going to be misting some “fog” and putting some special “dust” into my outlets/electrical switches to keep the bugs from coming into my apartment. I complied. When I returned hours later I didn’t smell a thing (I expected to small pesticide), but then again I left my window open to ventilate before I left.

We were instructed to purchase encasements for our mattress as soon as possible. I done a little research and purchased Protect-A-Bed Mattress and Boxspring encasements. When I went to put one on the mattress the first thing I noticed was a sheet of paper strongly indicating that the encasement installation must be installed by 2 people, along with a few other warnings about properly handling the encasement. All of which alluded me to the possibility that the encasement could easily be ripped/broken/punctured if it is not babied and handled gently. As a result I have not put it on yet. With such poor fabric strength it concerns me if it could even last on my bed thru a lot of random heavy traffic or if it showed up DOA (having some defect or hole(s) already).

It angers me to no end to think that there could be insects in my bed biting me at night that I can barely see (if at all), I don’t react to their bites and are hard as all get-out to treat. Moreover somebody could stay at a friend’s house or my place here and unwittingly bring these things back to infest their own home. And then to think that this expensive mattress encasement could become totally 110% useless if it becomes damaged/ripped in anyway makes this seem like a stupid gamble. What if the encasement was damaged on arrival?! It makes me wish I had not moved into this particular building and the sad part is that I will have to spend lots of time (and money) to try my best to not bring any bugs with me If/when I move, and since it only takes 2 to re-populate that could be very had to do. Like cancer or rust… once it starts you have to destroy everything it touches to get it to stop.

As of today I still have not found a confirmed bug in my bed, but unfortunately even though extermination has stopped (as if they reached satisfactory results), you never know what could happen an hour from now, unfortunately.

Could you please advise me on the durability of Protect-A-Bed encasements? Can I easily rip or puncture one of these things? What if I weigh 150 lbs and like to jump up and down on my bed every night, how long could this thing keep my mattress and box spring 110% sealed? Also appreciate any other advice you might have to keep this all in perspective.

Thanks!

2. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 13:42:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I got the same encasements too and I just slapped them on by myself. I weigh just over 100lbs (ok, maybe 120:) and I didn't read that '2 person part' until I put them on! Yeah, it was a bit of heaving and hefting - mattress especially! - but it was fine.

That was a year ago and I haven't found they rip or tear easily. BUT look out for those hidden staples/nails on the bottom of the boxspring, they WILL eventually poke holes in the covers. Put a few layers of thick tape on them first.

I say go ahead and put them on.

3. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 14:07:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I had help encasing my queen size mattress but I could have done it alone if I had to. I find them to be very sturdy but like everyone will tell you, watch out for sharp edges on the bed frame that could rip through the cover.

I am a little concerned that your landlord had your apartment treated without you fully understanding what was going on.

4. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 14:31:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, jumping up and down on your bed every night is not a proven treatment for bbs:)

5. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 14:33:07
    #

Login to Send PM

add your building to http://www.bedbugregistry.com

6. ExtremelyAngry

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 14:46:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey thanks for your replies!
    This forum setup is new to me I posted this topic in the wrong area by mistake!!

LOL so if there is a moderator that could move it to the proper area that would be appreciated.

Also, yes see they were sliding notices underneath our doors to alert us that the exterminator would be by. But of course I was not here to see them until I came home the next weekend and found 1 or 2 under my door. But I assume they came in and done their job anyway which I would appreciate because I really don't want them showing up and ousting me out of my apartment for 4 hours now that I am back full time!!

7. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 16:12:40
    #

Login to Send PM

The treatment process usually includes washing of all fabrics in your home and drying in high heat to kill any bugs or eggs that may be in your clothing, blankets, curtains, etc. I'm not saying this to frighten you. I'm just surprised you weren't instructed to do that prior to treatment.

8. ExtremelyAngry

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 17:45:21
    #

Login to Send PM

No I was. I had to wash my comforter and clothes and things and put them in clean trash bags. I hated that part so much. I hate all of this. I do not have time for this mess. I had to do all that work, spending my money on laundry for something I had no control over, something that I did not ask to happen and it had nothing to do with me. I hate this all so much. Especially spending over $100 to buy effective mattress encasement.

Should I tape over the zipper with clear packing tape or duck tape?

9. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 17:46:50
    #

Login to Send PM

That's not necessary IMO

10. ExtremelyAngry

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 19:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Marixpress - 5 hours ago  » 
    I am a little concerned that your landlord had your apartment treated without you fully understanding what was going on.

Yeah see I've started thinking about another new apartment for when my lease here expires. But now that I've gotten into the mess, lets say I have bed bugs, if I get a couch/sofa for my apartment before I move I may have to throw it away when I do move.
    And what furniture can I even trust to take to my new place with me?

Ugh...........!!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 20:08:20
    #

Login to Send PM

ExtremelyAngry - 2 hours ago  » 
    Should I tape over the zipper with clear packing tape or duck tape?

The reason Protect-a-bed is a good choice is that -- installed and used properly -- you don't have to tape over the zipper.

I am not sure there is an effective encasement that will allow you to jump on the bed or not give any care to box spring nails which protrude. Sorry to say it. Other encasements also tear. And many need taping along their zippers -- which will not withstand harsh treatment, and must be constantly checked.

Sorry you are going through bed bugs. It is a drag, especially in college when you should be focusing on other things.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams