Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Question about Pets - professional advice and opinions needed

(3 posts)
  1. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 14:06:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

Have a few questions about my dog in this situation and curious what others have done and what professional opinions might be on this.

We are in the middle of dealing with our BB infestation. So far we know it appeared to be roughly two months old and seems isolated to our bedroom box spring, I found the fecal traces very apparent in our white ruffled bed skirt on my side of the bed (I only reference because this is also right near where we put the dog's crate to sleep in when we brought him home)

so here are my questions regarding our pet situation
    1. We got a rescue puppy April 1st (we discovered our bb infestation around June 22nd). by end of april I was getting bites on my arms which I at first attributed to 'fleas', even though pup was on flea meds and we never found any evidence of fleas. As I am highly allergic to flea bite (and bb bites apparently ) I still had my husband spray our furniture with premethrin spray we got from pet shop and vaccuum with DE. A lot of other stuff happened over that time frame that could have also likely brought teh bb's in, but I find it curious it started happening after we introduced him into our home. I know all the pro's say bb's don't like to travel or bite pets, but this guy came from an extreme hoarding situation that included about 20 other dogs in a hoarder's house. He was brought to an adoption event the morning after they rescued him and while they had shaved him down, we had just assumed they dipped him / bathed him. He had a sweatshirt on (which we did throw out) but he went at least a half a day when we got him home before we bathed him ourselves (I would have never thought dog could bring in bb's otherwise we would have been much more vigilent). Anyway first question is what is the likelihood he brought them in.

2nd question could they have been or would they have been biting him all this time if he was their host at the hoarding house? Over the last few months he doesn't scratch himself much but drags himself across the floor a LOT as if he's itching himself on the carpet. We brought him to vet, he did have some ear inflammation which we treated and he is still doing it, which leads me to my last question,......

Does having a dog make it more challenging to get rid of the bb's and is there anything special we should be doing. He is getting more baths and dipped in a 100 parts water to 1 part premethrin dip every other week but he's a wee little guy only 6lbs and I hate to keep doing that to him. I wipe him down with it every time we get him from doggy daycare - not sure what the risk of that place is, but of course now I'm paranoid not as much about other dogs but about what comes in from their homes, pet beds, blankets, etc..... He sleeps up on the bed with us and sleeps through the night (doesn't jump on and off), which we think is better choice for now as we have isolated the bed and having him sleep on the ground in a pet bed we figured defeated the purpose, thoughts?

For reference we had initial liquid & steaming treatment June 25 and Heat remediation with liquid and dusting on the 29th and July 8th another liquid treatment. We havent' seen any signs of them on any thing or on him which is positive but he's still doing that itching thing .....then again he's also a dog

Anyway any suggestions or things we could be doing better would be much appreciated. Even though he may have brought this to us, we love him so much and want to make sure he's not getting bit or putting us at additional risk.
    On a comical note, our little guy (toy poodle) has oddly been scratching at and sniffing very unusal parts of the house that he never goes to and we joked that he could be the world's first bb sniffing toy poodle, maybe make us back some of this money we are spending :) His world's been turned upside down by all this too, he doesn't know what to make of all the plastic bags and living out of bins..... hopefully life will get back to 'normal' for all of us very soon. Thanks for listening and advice

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 19:02:36
    #

Login to Send PM

From everything you've done, and all the treatments you've had with no visible signs, I'd go back to living life feeling confident the issue is resolved. Ya, animals make it harder, just as having children do as well, but sounds like you tackled the issue. Just keep an eye out and monitor, it's possible they are still there but i think it's probable that they are not.

It's also good you're trying to figure out how they got in your home in the first place, it's the first step in prevention after exterminating but most the time it's hard to pinpoint exactly how it happened. Good luck the rest of the way!

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 7:36:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks mp7ski

We are being as thorough as we can but these little buggers really get in your brain and I am convinced it is a real possibility our lil guy brought them in due to he extreme hoarding situation. He came from. I guess there is not much more we can be doing with him than what we already are. It just stinks to be so afraid. I'm now afraid to take him to daycare, groomers and have put our amazing. Dogwalker who loves him so much on hold for fear one of those things was the source. At some point I need to stop obsessing over what causes t since so many things happnenes during that time frame but at the same time a number of professionals told me it's better if I can identify the source so that I prevent reinfestation but this could drive me nuts. Other than that cautiously optimistic. Mom stayed at our place a month ago whe. We didn't know yet and her home Checks out clean on PCO inspection and k9 inspection. Now if I only I could make sure my workplace is clean as well that would be half the battle as those are the two places other tha. Home where I spend most of my time. Anyway. Thanks for the kind words and support. They really help

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,592 posts in 41,774 topics over 127 months by 18,321 of 18,789 members. Latest: Murtyz, Winnie93x, buggyname