Question about nuvan strips on books and electronics

(12 posts)
  1. Berybery

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 21 2015 1:47:50
    #

Login to Send PM

So I started a topic back in November about my infested apartment . http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bed-bugs-in-my-first-apt-help

I want to know about tips/suggestionsregarding the strips from those who have experience using them. I gave a small follow up of my situation since then so you can skip to the pest strip question if you don't want to read the follow up

Since then things got better then after a month and a half it got extremely worse. Long story short after the reemergence of the bed bugs we had a PCO come in and treat with an oil based product, it killed some of the bugs but a lot of them survived and became agitated and were crawling up the wall, crawling in and out of the bathroom and crawling in and out of the closets. I would see 5-10 bugs crawling a night, the kinds that were as big as an apple seed, I even found some adult sized ones on my flip flops a couple minutes after i took them off on two different days. He, the PCO treated 3 times in the same week . The building manager then switched to another PCO and the bugs are still around. Both companies that came in don't treat other apartments and don't come back for a follow up and I also am increasingly concerned about the amount of pesticides that my roomate and I have been exposed to.

Also noted that during the reemergence some bugs have been found in other apartments on different floors. So I feel the way they are going about treatment things are never going to get better. Due to health reasons and the fact that this issue is effecting my grades in school I've decided I should move out. I have a lot of projects and presentations coming up and I need to be able to sleep. I'm a senior so if I mess up then there is nothing I can fix

NUVAN STRIP QUESTIONS
    I did some reading on the forums about it and I want to know an experts opinion or opinions of those who used the strips that have advice. I know it isn't likely that they will be in/on electrons but I'd rather be safe than sorry since I get really anxious if I know I didn't take the appropriate steps to do things.

I want to keep some books and all my electronics and I want to save one dresser since it belonged to my parents. For the books and the electronics I want to put them in an XL or XXL ziplock bag and put a strip in there and keep it sealed for 2 weeks or even the whole month of April. I have textbooks that range from 100 pages -700 pages as for electronics i have a Playstation tv which is rather small, a PS3, a controller, a nexus 7, a couple cables and wires. I got a couple of disk based games and I'm thinking about bagging them too. I don't know if I want to keep my extension cord since I'm a rather anxious person and since its on the floor by the bed I feel they might have crawled in and layed eggs.

I'm worried about my books and tablet because I've seen a bed bug on my bookbag and since then I haven't used it (btw can i stuff it in a dryer or should i put my bookbag in a bag with a nuvan strip as well?)

As for the dresser, which is a night stand dresser I'd rather not keep it but I don't know if my mother would appreciate that since it was hers and my father's for a long time and she was recently widowed. So I was thinking I could stuff the drawers in a big durable garbage back with a nuvan strip (there are 2 drawers so one in each bag) and then hopefully I can find a big enough bag to stick the whole dresser in. I have some items in my parents house that I have zipped in XXL bags that I've left outside and in the garage all winter, I plan on sticking some strips in there just in case (items like handbags and a carryon luggage).

I'm not too worried about my laptop even though i sleep with it on my bed and since people say hungry bugs will come out immediately and I haven't seen anything or been bitten and it's been at least two weeks.

So what do you guys think about my plan.

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 21 2015 3:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Some helpful links:

(A primer by a PCO consultant very famiiliar with DDVP )
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/pest-strip-fundamentals

(A newer alternative protocol getting good reviews)

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Player

(A good source for larger containment bags)
    http://tinyurl.com/pskf6uq

Note: Regarding the bags, I didn't see the link tonight, but if you click on the link for "U.S. Bed Bugs" from this web site, the site will get a small commission on the bags, but at no additional cost to you.

Good luck with your project!

Richard

3. Berybery

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 22 2015 1:02:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out before I start packing my things!

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 22 2015 10:23:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear bery,

The link above provides information for using the pest strips which may be of interest and help to you.

In addition to this, there is the four page Nuvan FAQ article which provides other how to type information that you can find online as well.

When choosing to treat "suspect items" it may be useful to inspect such items to determine the need to treat in this way or in other more time efficient options. For example, above you mention "extension cords". Items such as extension cords may be rendered bed bug free nearly immediately by simply thoroughly wiping with an alcohol and/or cleaning solution dampened cloth. Consider that: bed bugs being present on such an item is dubious at best, the item may be visually inspected easily and anything present on it may be physically removed easily.

Hope this helps, good luck !

pjb

5. battybug804

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 23 2015 0:08:36
    #

Login to Send PM

hi richard,

I think you had recommended the rag in a bag to me a little bit ago. in your opinion are these less toxic than the nuvan strips, and do you think they are as effective? its mostly neem oil i guess...so do you think cirkil could be sprayed in the open even with pets around? from what i understand the strips should be bagged and then placed in a disused space, but it seemed you could be less carful with the cirkil. wondering what your thoughts are.

(don't mean to hijack your post with questions, Bery, but i think we are wondering about similar things )

thanks!

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 23 2015 22:26:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Folks,

Below is a link to the Material Fact Sheet Neem which provides information on neem oil type products as published by NC State University:

http://www.cefs.ncsu.edu/newsevents/events/2010/sosa2010/20101013tomato/product08-neem.pdf

Note that the AI, active ingredient, is azadarachtin which was first discovered in about 1968. As such, it's really not an new or previously unknown type product.

Additionally, this publication lists the known pesticide products commercially available at the time which contain this active ingredient. You will note that there are several companies that have access to this AI and have existing products which out date the recent bed bug control offering of this AI.

Feel free to try this product and let us know how you do. However, since it's been well known and previously available to a number of companies that produce pesticide products, we'd think that one of these entities would have developed such a product previously.

Maybe it's just me . . .

pjb

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 23 2015 22:47:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Batty: I think you had recommended the rag in a bag to me a little bit ago. in your opinion are these less toxic than the nuvan strips, and do you think they are as effective? its mostly neem oil i guess...so do you think cirkil could be sprayed in the open even with pets around?
    ---------------------------------
    I base my recommendations among other things on the recent work of Dr. Dina Miller, a leading urban entomologist. If you scroll down the page on the link below, and have the time (it's quite long) she is featured in a webinar. There should also be shorter summaries of her work if you google around.

One thing to note. Cirkil has a very strong and distinct odor that can linger. This should not be as much of an issue with the "rag in the bag" protocol, but could be an issue if you spray it in the open, as you asked above. So, if you're considering using it in the open, I suggest you try a very small area first and see if you can live with the odor.

Just to be clear, I am not saying it is superior or inferior to DDVP strips. Just something else to research and consider as part of your treatment approach.

(Dina Miller Webinar Link)

http://cirkil.com/proof-it-works

Richard

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 23 2015 22:57:11
    #

Login to Send PM

At the risk of solely being humorous,

at this point in time,

all I have to say on this thread,

can be totally captured,

in the following phrase;

just sayin . . .

pjb

9. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2015 12:32:38
    #

Login to Send PM

So I listened to the Dina Miller Webinar, at least up until the Q&A part. (see my last post for link) Some takeaways.

1. Not just about Cirkil/Proof, but also covers traditional and novel pesticides, resistance issues, DDVP, Vikane for vehicles and eek, even a fogger

2. She literally takes her work home. Used her own closet's to test out the DDVP strips!

3. She only uses two different pesticide protocols -- "traditional" and "novel". It beg the question, how would other combinations do.

4. There is no "head to head" between for example, Cirkil and DDVP. Cirkil is reviewed for "rag in the bag" and "DDVP" for use in a closet.

5. Cirkil, for the application mentioned had 100% success. DDVP strips did not do as well. What would have been interesting to see if the applications were reversed, i.e. DDVP in a bag, and Cirkil in the Closet, although there may have been odor issues with Cirkil in a Closet. She also mentions that the DDVP strips might have done better had a fan been employed in the closet to increase air circulation.

6. She seems to think that vehicle infestation is an overlooked area and can be an important local source issue.

7. One main theme is the quest for more time and cost efficient treatment protocols. The 'rag in the bag' and "DDVP' experiments were in part to that end.

7. She's kinda funny. Not the dry presentation one would expect given the subject matter.

Richard

10. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2015 12:51:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting Richard56! . . . Now you have me wanting to listen to it! I'm going to put that at the top of my list of things to do because you piqued my interest now! Thanks!

11. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2015 13:08:13
    #

Login to Send PM

AF: Now you have me wanting to listen to it!
    ---------------
    You should. I'd like to hear your take. It's a very down to earth and listenable presentation.

Also, if you get that far, let me know how the Q&A part goes, as I didn't listen to it. I think you will have to set aside around an hour to listen to everything.

Richard

12. battybug804

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2015 0:13:58
    #

Login to Send PM

will be listening to the webinar, thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,510 posts in 47,004 topics over 143 months by 20,744 of 21,019 members. Latest: Ohnoihopenot, bedbugnitemare, C333