Question about interceptors not catching bed bugs

(21 posts)
  1. Starry Eyes

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 16 2017 22:15:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Im new to this site. I found out I had bed bugs 3 months ago and I have been trying to treat it myself because I cant afford an exterminator. When I first found out I did make a few mistakes before doing a lot of research. Now the bed bugs are scattered through the house. Probably in the walls. I got rid of a few beds and was sleeping on the couch. I bought a steamer and bought cimexa and dusted everything. My couch legs are too big for interceptors. I recently bought a few single doses of temprid sc and a pump sprayer. I just purchased a new bed and bedframe and put interceptors on it. I couldnt find powder to coat it so i coated it with vegetable oil to make it smoother but I havent caught any bed bugs in them. Can they detect the oil and possibly stay away from it? My bed is away from the walls and blankets are not touching the ground. I know I still have them because I found one a few days ago. I am having a hard time finding where they are. I wiped walls and I don't see any new blood spots or casings or fecal. I don't know my progress or how big the infestation is. I think I am controlling it because the sightings are less frequent and Im not seeing as much evidence as I did in the beginning.

2. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 16 2017 22:31:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry about the bed bugs. Has an expert confirmed you have bed bugs. I am no expert, but I was wondering where you found the most recent bug. I think that interceptors wouldn't catch bugs that aren't going to or leaving your bed - like if they are living in the box spring. Are you sleeping in your bed? I know there are some interceptors that are larger that are sold at US Bed bugs. I don't know if that is what you want or not. Hopefully, one of the experts will respond. I'm still not 100% sure I don't have bed bugs. Good luck.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 17 2017 6:57:51
    #

Login to Send PM

The Climb-Up Interceptor has powder, so no need to add anything when you first use it. Bed bugs crawl about, so you are not relying solely on them crawling from the bed to get into them, but also crawling around and into the bed. This system also works by leaving them out and not under furniture with the leg inside its central cavity.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Starry Eyes

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 17 2017 12:18:08
    #

Login to Send PM

An expert didnt confirm bed bugs but I know that is what they are. They are scary because the nymphs are so tiny and the bigger ones are paper thin. I have caught a couple that i killed and kept in case I need to show someone it. But Im just concerned about them being caught in my interceptors because I need to know my progress and what I am dealing with. There is nothing in my bed because it is brand new. I even tried Co2 traps and that did nothing but give me fruit flies. I dont know what I am doing wrong or if they are just really smart. Thanks.

5. shinydarkvoid

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 17 2017 12:59:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Starry Eyes - 35 minutes ago  » 
    An expert didnt confirm bed bugs but I know that is what they are. They are scary because the nymphs are so tiny and the bigger ones are paper thin. I have caught a couple that i killed and kept in case I need to show someone it. But Im just concerned about them being caught in my interceptors because I need to know my progress and what I am dealing with. There is nothing in my bed because it is brand new. I even tried Co2 traps and that did nothing but give me fruit flies. I dont know what I am doing wrong or if they are just really smart. Thanks.

Can't help much, but I did find some old forum topics about Co2 traps. Basically, they don't always work because BBs don't need to feed every day (usually five to ten days) and they'd much rather wait for you to come hang around because you have a much bigger (and therefore much more delicious-looking) Co2 cloud hanging around you from when you breath. Co2 traps work best in rooms that are unoccupied (like attics or a guest bedroom you never sleep in.)

Forums:
    Help please! Do the C02 traps always work?
    CO2 Traps

It just might take time for you to figure out your infestation size, so don't panic! Getting rid of them is always a work-in-progress for a while, but this too will pass! Rooting for you!

6. shinydarkvoid

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 17 2017 13:16:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Starry Eyes - 49 minutes ago  » 
    There is nothing in my bed because it is brand new. I even tried Co2 traps and that did nothing but give me fruit flies. I dont know what I am doing wrong or if they are just really smart. Thanks.

If you search the forums for topics with the tag Co2, you can see the problem with using them. Basically, bed bugs don't need to feed every day (more like every five to ten days I believe) and they'd much rather wait around for you then mess with a Co2 trap. You have a much bigger and "yummier" Co2 discharge then a Co2 trap. According to the forum posts by the experts, Co2 traps are much more effective in areas that are unoccupied (like attics or guest bedrooms that you never sleep in.)

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 17 2017 13:18:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Post an image of the bugs you've saved, it might be a relative of the bed bug which requires a different treatment.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  8. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 19 2017 18:00:45
    #

Login to Send PM

The bugs could beiin the couch but not the bed so the interceptors wouldn't catch any, right?

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  9. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 19 2017 19:04:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs are very, very hard to get rid of without professional help. Going the DIY route, you should read every FAQ on this site and follow the advice.

During our second infestation, I was getting bitten something awful and only caught one bed bug in the climbups. I was inspecting them daily, cleaning the dust and cat hair out of them and reapplying talc weekly. I no longer have that much faith in them.

10. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 19 2017 20:41:43
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 1 hour ago  » 
    During our second infestation, I was getting bitten something awful and only caught one bed bug in the climbups. I was inspecting them daily, cleaning the dust and cat hair out of them and reapplying talc weekly. I no longer have that much faith in them.

Where the climbups only on your bed?
    Maybe the bites were happening somewhere else (couch, computer chair, etc).

11. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 28 2017 5:56:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Fair point; yes, they were only on the beds.

12. Starry Eyes

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 30 2017 14:05:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. Interceptors are really expensive when you have to buy a lot of them. My beds need between 5 and 8 just for one bed. How do I post an image of the ones I saved? Im just getting frustrated because the Co2 traps didnt work and I tried that 4 times and had them in a room no one was sleeping in and my interceptors are not catching anything.

13. Starry Eyes

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 30 2017 14:07:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know if dry ice works or that activ volcano?

14. Starry Eyes

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 30 2017 15:42:03
    #

Login to Send PM

15. Starry Eyes

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 30 2017 15:43:48
    #

Login to Send PM

16. Starry Eyes

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 30 2017 15:44:48
    #

Login to Send PM

17. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 30 2017 19:34:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert but it doesn't look good.

18. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Dec 4 2017 21:02:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Starry Eyes - 4 days ago  » 
    Thank you. Interceptors are really expensive when you have to buy a lot of them. My beds need between 5 and 8 just for one bed. How do I post an image of the ones I saved? Im just getting frustrated because the Co2 traps didnt work and I tried that 4 times and had them in a room no one was sleeping in and my interceptors are not catching anything.

Tell me about it.
    I bought 6 interceptors for my bed and I am not a fan now.

Was the Co2 trap in a room somebody normally sleeps in?
    Maybe there are no bugs in that room.

19. Starry Eyes

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Tue Dec 12 2017 13:54:07
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 1 week ago  » 

Starry Eyes - 4 days ago  » 

Tell me about it.
    I bought 6 interceptors for my bed and I am not a fan now.
    Was the Co2 trap in a room somebody normally sleeps in?
    Maybe there are no bugs in that room.

The Co2 traps were in a room that my son sometimes sleeps in. He wasnt sleeping in the room when I had them in there and I did find a couple bugs in that room before. I also had the traps in my vacant bedroom where the infestation first started. And I didnt catch anything. I havent been seeing them like I did when I first found out. I have no idea if they are still here or where they are. I might see one bug every 2 weeks.

20. Starry Eyes

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Tue Dec 12 2017 14:06:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I never thought this would happen to me and its easier to prevent them than it is to get rid of them. Its scary to think about all the places you can bring them home from and i want to keep my home safe in the future after i get rid of them but its embarrassing if people see interceptors on the beds even if I dont have bed bugs because they probably wouldn't understand how easy it would be to have them brought in your home. For safety measures...

21. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 days ago
    Tue Dec 12 2017 18:40:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Pictures of adult and nymph bed bug.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,806 posts in 43,548 topics over 131 months by 19,076 of 19,668 members. Latest: tireddddddd, bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1