Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Question about harborages

(4 posts)
  1. bedbugsbugme

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 15:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a quick question. Will bed bugs harbour in clear plastic? Like if we still have the plastic on our box spring (no bed frame) would they hide inside the folds of clear plastic? Or would they prefer to hide somewhere dark? Plus there are still 2 passive monitors on thd bed.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 16:03:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I would think that the texture would be more off putting than the light, bed bugs aren't built to climb smooth surfaces. The monitor would be a much comfier harborage.

Bird dreams are not admissible in court.
  3. bedbugsbugme

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 16:48:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. 😁

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 11:02:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In your case its not great concern as bed bugs already have an optimal harbourage in place. The smooth plastic is not something that they will want to remain on for long periods.

As not not being adapted to climb a recent paper gained some wider press attention:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4316370/Why-pest-control-doesn-t-work-bed-bugs.html

I first mentioned this a few years ago having attending a presentation by Prof Lee where we presented data about the two forms of locomotion, walking on tarsal claws and walking on tibial pads. Suffice to say that there are much wider implications to this physiology than first meet the eye and it explains why some designs of product will not and could never had worked.

The image that shows the bed bugs climbing out of the brown trap is the Verify system that was much touted and on the market for less than a year. It was by no means the only reason we detected for failure in method and design but it was one that was immediately obvious having had to design plastic injection molds myself.

That having been said bed bugs will generally not waste the energy needed to climb smooth surfaces without a stimuli encouraging them to do so. So BD is correct but not for the initial reason.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

255,240 posts in 40,867 topics over 124 months by 17,884 of 18,271 members. Latest: DDScared97, Chelsearae0315, nervousbugdown