Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Question about bites and hives

(4 posts)
  1. buggy2009

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 17:38:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I am very allergic to certain things but not sure if BB bites are one of them. I am also prone to get hives on occasion. Is there a way to discriminate between a BB bite and hives? If i take an antihistamine that usually calms my hives and makes them go away (swelling and itching) but would that have the same affect on my bites? I know that it should help the itching but would it help the redness? Only reason I am asking is because it is hard to tell which are which and I am trying to keep track to see if I am getting new bites or if I am just "hiving out" because of previous bites or any allergic reaction I may be having. Any help would be appreciated if anyone knows an answer. I also understand that BB bite reactions differ from person to person but I thought I would just ask.

2. stricken

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 19:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    My bb bites manifested as hives, and I was treated for hives for two months before finding bugs, but the antihistamines didn't do anything. I don't have allergies and am not hive-prone otherwise, so this info may or may not help. But mine is at least one case where the reaction looked like hives but didn't respond to anti-allergy treatment.

3. Infofreak

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2009 0:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

buggy2009 that is a good question , And since I had hives and BBs I will tell you what I know ,

Hives come on in a sudden and will move around they will sometimes mimic and look like BB bites and can fool anyone even I was fooled , But the BB bites stay in the same place as the bite site and never move , Hives will stay too some times but rarely so it gets confusing and BB bites can cause hives which confuses the situation even more , When you take a antihistamine the hives will get better and leave no marks most of the time , But BB bites will sometimes leave a little mark for a while 3-5 days sometimes longer sometimes less, This is where you have to know your body and what BB bites do in certain places on your body and what hives do and you will be able to tell the difference , Everybody reacts different to hives and bites so any combination can and will happen , But watch closely and you will see the difference if you have it in you to do this , Some people will tell you get a dermatologist But they even they are perplexed by this phenomenon .

4. ohnoitsbedbugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2009 17:04:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I get hives routinely. My most recent bout was definitely as a result of a bed bug infestation, but they were definitely hives, not bites: I just had a generalized allergic reaction (and later noticed bites as well). But as you note, everyone's different. Hope that helps.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.