Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Question about bed bug behaviour

(5 posts)
  1. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 11:21:55
    #

Login to Send PM

So you have a hitchhiker from somewhere on your clothes. You sit on your bed first thing when you get home. (I do, to take my sons snow suit off) the hitchhiker falls off of you. What does it do? Does it hide immediately and attack you at 4am? Or does it crawl around for a bit and try get to you? Does it depend if it was starving or fed recently?

Im just trying to make sense of the bed bug I killed on my bed the other night. If there was a possibility this was a loner we picked up at the second hand shop.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 18:15:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Generally speaking, hungry bedbugs will venture out into the open, especially if they've just hitched a ride. I once left an infested site, drove four miles back to town, stopped at a grocery store to get a salad buffet. I sat down inside the store and enjoyed my meal. I went back out to my car, put the key in the ignition, and a bedbug came climbing up the front of my shirt. I jumped out of the car and took my shirt off and shook it out. When I got home, I stripped all my clothes off in the garage and put everything straight into the washing machine. Going on seven years of bedbug killing.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. barelyliving

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 20:13:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you ever brought any home, Jim? Just curious. I know you would be able to make short work of it if you did.

4. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 20:56:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Well what I mean is what are the chances that I brought home 1 bed bug that fell off on my bed while I was taking my sons snow suit and hid until 4am to feed off me? We looked for more evidence of an infestation, we have encasements on bed and boxspring so all we need to do is lift the mattress. Did not see anything but of course we understand they can live anywhere. I placed the passive monitor last night and it was clean this morning.

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Mar 19 2017 12:35:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. The summer before last. I thought I just had a couple of stragglers. I have a two bedroom house. I usually sleep on the floor because of back issues. But then I had some shoulder pain, and started sleeping on a mattress in the other room. Low and behold they started showing up. I use my own product. You can see pictures on my facebook page. It took about five weeks to get everything resolved. They can be tricky insects. However, if the bed is up off the floor, and everything is optimized, you should be able to determine if you have a problem within 14 to 20 days. By the way, my mattress was on the floor the whole time.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

253,537 posts in 40,563 topics over 124 months by 17,751 of 18,112 members. Latest: gabbyr, waterhead, Brokegradstudent