(7 posts)
  1. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 12:24:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all!

So, I'm about a month into my BB situation, and the past 2 weeks or so have been pretty good. Dare I say I'm in the 'treatment looks to have worked, let's keep up the pattern' phase now.

My question is this: I have items that can not be laundered, and upon very close inspection, I found and killed 2 adults, then, about a week to 10 days later, I found a concentrated area of eggs and newly hatched instars that had never fed. I used clear packing tape to pull off everything I could find as it was sticky enough to get the eggs off (with a little work), and then placed it all in tightly tied trash bags, and double bagged it all.

In the event that I missed any, which I'm sure is very likely, how long would these items need to stay tightly bagged? I've transferred the bags to the back of my truck, and I've parked in an area of direct sunlight on my property to allow the internal temperature to get HOT. The bags have been there going on 3 weeks, and I plan to leave them as long as needed to insure nothing stays alive. I just don't know how long that is!!

Thanks in advance

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  2. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 18:29:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear that things are looking up for you after treatment.

Im not an expert, but some things to consider. It's important to keep in mind that with bagging items, just placing them in the car may not actually let the items get hot enough. Heat treatment should only be done with the device where the temperature can be monitored like a dryer or a Packtite oven. Otherwise the variable is just too great. Cars especially have been shown to not get hot enough. However for items that can't be laundered and where heating with a packtite isn't an option, you can place those items into airtight bins or Ziploc storage bags (don't vacuum them though) along with ddvp strips. you can search DDVP on here to find lots of posts regarding their use. If you choose to use ddvp to treat items they should be treated for a minimum of two weeks but probably longer and the storage device, whether it's a bin or a bag, absolutely must be airtight.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  3. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 18:33:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and please please please research safety before using ddvp! It's an organophosphate and can be dangerous.

4. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 19:20:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I will def look it up, thank you!

I should have mentioned that I did put the bags in the car to get some heat, but mostly because I was running out of space for bags upon bags upon bags of stuff, and was worried these would 'pop' as they've got hangers inside the bag! I needed a place where my kids and/or cats wouldn't mess with them, and the back of the truck seemed perfect.

5. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 19:22:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Also- while not a scientific 'experiment' so to speak, during a recent heat wave, I checked the internal temp- at 11am, after 3 days of 100+ temps and crazy gross humidity, the inside of the truck was 144* so hopefully it's helping a little, even if it's not actually 'treating'.

6. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 19:36:24
    #

Login to Send PM

144 ambient is plenty hot, but if there were anything in those bags, they will seek the coolest spot, so you'd need to monitor inside the bag at the most dense part. It can be a big difference without circulation to move the heat. Obviously it's not as easy to monitor inside the bags.

7. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 23:59:33
    #

Login to Send PM

My original plan was 'bag it and leave it for 2 months' so it looks like I'll be sticking to that for now, and researching what the next steps are!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,622 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd