putting infested furniture in storage

(19 posts)
  1. dela001

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 1:30:24
    #

Login to Send PM

hello everyone. I have been battling with bed bugs for almost a year now, and it is sooooooooooo frustrating. Has anyone ever put furniture in a regular storage facility to try and rid of the bed bugs? I was thinking that I could leave it in there for 18 months and then any bugs that might be in there would die by then. Would that work in the bed bugs dying since there won't be anything for it to bite?

I am so desperate to try different things. If anyone has done this before, can you please let me know if it worked for you. Thank you so much!!

2. vampireweekend

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 2:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

storage is really expensive. would it maybe cost less to get rid of your buggy furniture and get new stuff?

3. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 4:05:27
    #

Login to Send PM

One thing that concerns me about your plan is that if you cannot seal your belongings tightly, and I don't see how you will be able to do this with furniture, you present a significant risk of your bugs spreading to the storage facility. There has been another poster here recently who put her things in storage (just to store them, not because of bedbugs), in NYC I believe, and says they were all infested when she took them out.

4. theprey

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 10:10:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a friend who had an infestation back in 2001, before even PCOs knew how to handle it, and after moving out of two different apartments she finally got rid of everything that she couldn't seal in plastic and put in storage for three years(!). Now the recommended period is 18 months, but it's still not a bad strategy.

fightorflight is right, though: everything must be sealed in airtight plastic or your problem could just spread, and someone else's bugs might get into your stuff.

5. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 15:25:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Putting infested furniture into storage or non infested furniture would be an incorrect thing to do. Two obvious reasons are your bugs may spread and you may acquire bugs from others infested furniture, so bag that idea.

6. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 15:29:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello

As it turns out Fightor flight knows my story well - thank you

DO NOT PUT INFESTED STUFF INTO STORAGE!!!!

doing so even it you COMPLETELY SEAL it up - and furniture is next to impossible to do that to - risks spreading your bedbugs

As bedbuggers ALL OF US should know better. I sold my condo in January and took my time looking for an aparment and put ALL of my stuff into a large storage locker for 3 weeks. Everything I owned went into a 15'x20' storage locker and when I took them out - ALL OF IT WAS INFESTED SEVERELY

Anyone who knowingly places something infested into a locker runs the risk of spreading them to innocent people. No matter how careful you are in sealing it up - you ALWAYS run the risk of one of those things getting out

Just ask the people who have tried to move with from Bedbugs - it is a very difficult thing to do

In my opinion - anyone who places something infested into a community storage is simply selfish, ignorant and lazy

DON"T DO IT - all of us should know better - try to treat your stuff in your apartment - or if you must place into storage - use a free standing POD as some folks have done

Adele

7. theprey

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 16:22:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele, do you think it's irresponsible for someone to put books and other small items in storage if they are in large Ziplocs or otherwise sealed in plastic? I'm not planning to do it myself, but I don't see how that opens others to risk. Did you have a different experience?

8. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 17:04:14
    #

Login to Send PM

HI Theprey

I don't want to make judgements (and yes I probably did) but in my experience - even if you think something is tightly sealed - you don't know if they are hitching a ride on YOUR clothes to the locker or in some other fashion finding their way out of stuff

I just know that I was as innocent - and ignorant - as could be and had no idea about BB but someone in a locker close to mine knew full well what they were doing

That strikes me as selfish and irresponsible

The fact that all of my belongings cam back infested and I tried like hell to fight them for 4 months - I STARTED with a severe infestation not just a few bugs in my suitcase

I know that a lot of people on this blog place stuff into storage - maybe they sealed it properly - maybe not

But how can you be certain that your stuff was sealed up properly enough?

and truthfully even a small locker costs 50-100/month and if you are going to spend that amount why not just get it fumigated and not jeopardize other people?

I don't understand

Adele

9. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 17:19:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Vikane fumigation is not available in all states.

10. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 17:26:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Paula - I knew you would weigh in on that one - but regardless of whether or not fumigation is avaialable - placing something infested into storage is not the right thing to do

it is tantamount to just going to someone's un-infested home and leaving an infested book there as a gift

or going to a hotel and knowingly bringing something infested along with you so the next unlucky poor soul can feel your pain and share in the pleasures of bedbugs

no - I am sorry - no matter where you live there are alternatives to risking other people's health and well being wiht these things

at least I know where my bugs came from and living in NYC it is likely that sooner or later I would have encountered these creepy things

But what bothers me is that people KNOW they are placing infested stuff into a locker and thinking that they sealed it properly and their infestation won't affect anyone else

well wrong - again just look at the people who spend hours and days preparing to move and still bring them along

Adele

11. theprey

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2008 0:24:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Adele,

Again, I have no plans to put my things in storage, nor have I put my things in storage. (It's worth noting, however, that Vikane does not always eradicate the problem. It didn't in my case -- not even in conjunction with having my new place treated before moving in. Somehow I'm still being bitten in my new apartment.) I was merely curious about your reasoning.

Some people also think it's irresponsible for someone battling a bed bug infestation to stay in a hotel, no matter what precautions are taken, but as I recall, you stayed in a hotel in between your old place and new place, so I guess you draw a distinction between potentially exposing other hotel guests to bugs and potentially exposing other storage units to bugs. I actually wouldn't go into an "un-infested person's home" at all while battling an infestation. That's one of my personal lines in the sand: I don't visit anyone, and no one visits me, until I am satisfied that the problem has been eradicated.

There are questions anyone with bed bugs has to answer every day. Is it irresponsible to rent a car when battling a bed bug infestation even if everything you take out of your house into the rest of the world is quarantined? Is it wrong to go to a friend's house? To sit down on the subway?

Given the bed bug epidemic, I personally don't think it makes sense to put anything in storage, infested or not, unless it is securely sealed in plastic. And while I myself have no plans to put anything in storage, I don't think it's wrong for someone battling bed bugs to do it if he or she is satisfied that the items are airtight. (A POD sounds like a good option; I don't know much about that.) But that is only my opinion, just as it is my opinion that if someone is very careful -- following all protocols -- and acts completely in good faith in staying at a hotel between apartments, as you did, he or she has nothing wrong. Again, my opinion.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2008 1:45:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it is possible to tightly seal something in plastic ziplocs, THEN place it in plastic tubs with lids, so pests can neither get in OR out of the sealed ziplocs.

I don't think it's a great plan for most people. If Vikane or Thermal treatments are possible for stuff, they may be cheaper than storing 18 months. If you are moving, this might be an option.

Debugging stuff and keeping it home during treatment can be successful. Bugs in your stuff will come out to feed and PCOs do clear infestations with resident cooperation under such circumstances. It really depends on your situation.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2008 2:22:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I put all my stuff into storage, but it was in the winter with temps below 20 degrees and I have now been bug free for 5 months and 3 days. I have seen one bug in that time, but had received some clothes from a friend who still lived at Bedbug Villa. Clothes in the trash and action taken. No sightings since and we sleep soundly and I have no worries of the bugs crawling on me!! EDIT: had no real furniture left, only clothes and only 1 piece came with me in the move...antique vanity. The same one with the bug on it in my pix. So far so good and I don't even look any more!! A black spot is only a black spot and a bug is only a gnat! Feels good!

14. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2008 19:29:01
    #

Login to Send PM

by the way - ThePrey - after all my hassles with vikane and treating my new apartment - I am still being bitten as well

I don't know if vikane is the total answer either

Adele

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2008 1:31:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele,

Do you mean Vikane gas fumigation of the home including contents, or do you mean of just the contents?

The former is fine if it suits your situation and pocketbook.

The latter is a good idea if you're moving to an uninfested home.

But if they're treating your home with OTHER methods, and gassing your stuff, you'd want to be sure bed bugs were gone before bringing the cleared furnishings back.

16. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2008 17:21:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugs - thank you for asking about my situation

I vikane gassed ALL of the contents of my old apartment by Bed Bugs & Beyond in a truck and moved to a new apartment

due to the timing of the treatment and other reasons - I did not have access to my new apartment with enough time to pretreat it or to ensure that all of the cracks and crevices were sealed

So now that I am here - I saw a few of them alive and was bitten a few times. I have since bought new mattress protectors and sealed the aparment and the bites seemed to have subsided but not gone away completely

I can't say for sure that they may have survived the vikane - or I may have brought some with me from the hotel (which I think was also infested) or they may have been in the apartment

I found out my new very expensive apartment is right smack above the building's storage lockers so they may be there as well - I don't know

I already had one BB dog check the apartment and cleared my stuff - but I don't know how good a job they did so I also contacted Cesar Soto who will be coming in tomorrow with Tre and will probably also spray as well

If Cesar & Tre find BB there - I feel that I am certainly catching them early enough to stop it from growing into anything substantial

If they do not find them there - we will spray anyway given the proximity to the lockers

Something is still biting me and I just don't know what it is so I want to rule out the worst possibility first

Nobugs - I am having so much trouble moving on from my ordeal - I still have flashbacks and still wake up at night shaking - I hope that Cesar can help me to move on from this soon - at least give me peace of mind

Adele

17. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 17:40:13
    #

Login to Send PM

ThePrey
    I guess we all have our opinions - since I got my infestation from other people's stuff in a storage locker - I am VERY biased and opinionated about placing infested stuff into storage

I think it's wrong. Period

However - you are certainly entitled to your opinion - as everyone else is here - but I strongly beleive despite the good intentions and how well well packed that it is wrong to do because we can never know if we are spreading them or not

Now you also used the analogy of my staying in a hotel between apartments. Not only did I act in good faith in doing so - but I went to absolute extreme precautions to ensure that I was not bringing any bugs with me

the difference is the magnitiude of stuff I brought wiht me - I had one small bag to worry about versus an entire locker of stuff

And whether you agree or not - there is a difference - as the more stuff you place into storage the more chances there are of the bugs escaping and of spreading them.

again my opinion - but I am not a hypocrite as I feel like you implied

On another note - I did notice that you are still plagued by BB since your vikane treatment. I don't know who did the treatment for you - but I know that Bedbugs & beyond offers a guarantee

have you had a dog come in and inspect?

just curious

Adele

18. theprey

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 18:09:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Adele,

Wow, I didn't intend to imply that you're a hypocrite. Sorry it came off that way. My point was that there are many situations (i.e., staying at a hotel and taking utmost precautions, putting things in storage and taking utmost precautions, going to a friend's house and taking utmost precautions, etc., etc.) that are tough calls. I don't see the vast dinstinctions between them that you do.

Again, I have no plans to put my things in storage. I never did have plans to put my things in storage. I was just voicing a different opinion for the benefit of those who may have to move, are conscientious with plastic and duct tape, and don't have Vikane as an option.

Yes, you remember correctly: My things were Vikaned. I too went with Bed Bugs and Beyond. I hired another company (Pest-Away) to treat my new place before I moved in. Both companies offered a 90-day warranty.

In hindsight, I was very satisfied with Bedbugs and Beyond, which offered several times to repeat the Vikane fumigation. I was far less satisfied with the other PCO's approach -- essentially, $800 worth of spray-and-pray, and when I initially called they discouraged me from re-treatment, saying that it was very unlikely I was still being bitten.

I did finally have Pest-Away spray a second time, just as the warranty was expiring, but didn't have Bed Bugs and Beyond re-fumigate. I didn't see the point in paying to have all of my things moved back out of my apartment, Vikaned, and stored until the very light infestation in my apartment is eradicated. Instead I decided to seal all of my books and papers in plastic -- again, in my apartment, not in storage -- for 180 days (or until my new PCO clears them).

As for the dog, no, I haven't had her come out to my place, because, until I was recently instructed to stop, I kept up a self-spraying and vacuuming regimen (part of the Pest-Away protocol) that has kept the infestation very low.

Cesar of Freedom Pest Control, who is my new PCO and hero, thought it might be difficult for the dog to detect the bugs given that there are probably not very many of them and those that are there have almost certainly moved into the floors and walls because of my aggressive and ultimately misguided self-treatment (again, done at the insistence of my prior PCO).

Cesar is wonderful. He didn't see any bugs or fecal matter. (Nor have I seen any bugs since moving into the apartment, although I did go through a phase a while ago of finding smeary black spots on the sheets.) But I showed him a couple of my bites and he agreed that there is probably still a problem. He told me how he would like to treat the place -- a multi-faceted approach of steaming, spraying, powder, etc. -- and we will be going ahead with that plan. He says he hopes to have the place bed bug free by Halloween.

Good luck with your new place.

19. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 18:33:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you ThePrey

yes Cesar is the one who came by last night to inspect my place as well!! I've been bitten as well the first week mostly but it's stopped for now (about a week or so)

But since I've only been in my new place for 2 weeks and the floor molding was sealed up a few days ago - if the bugs were there it is more likely they would be in the boxes or in my furniture and not in the walls yet

But his dog cleared my stuff and the other dog from First RAte cleared my stuff - so maybe the bites were mosquitoes - I don't know

you are in good hands with Cesar - he comes highly recommended from just about everyone here

I also heard mixed things about Pest Away - so i called Cesar right away

anyway - my best to you - please keep me posted wiht your progress

It really sucks that they somehow survived - do you think they survived the vikane? or do you think they were in your place or that you may have re-introduced them somehow?

Adele

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.