PRo advice please: how bad is it? Am i doing enough

(4 posts)
  1. AnxiousNeedAdvise

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Jan 6 2018 17:02:51
    #

Login to Send PM

New here. Going to try to be quick because I'm trying to not obsess any more.. This forum has been great just need reassurance. Go back 4 months ago Sept '17, random bites even once cold weather came.. Blamed mosquitoes & have sensitive skin. Even more bites come end of October starting to wonder. Never thought bb. Bites became increasing in number, only I was reacting not husband or young son. By end of November I'm freaking out when husband tells me a friend of his has a major infestation. He visits them multiple times a month. Begin to inspect mattress & find 2 fecal stain spots one at foot & one on outer side near head (was against wall). Small patches with probably 10 dots. Found a few casing with them. Also seen 3 live bugs ( but not all at same time, they appeared to be adults? Thinking now maybe not just last instar wish I would have been more educated then & took pics for ID)
    Began bagging any laundry on floor to be washed & heated in dryer ( to be honest there was a pile against wall of blankets that had been there some time) bagged up basically all clutter but didn't touch closets or dressers. Vacuumed steamed & dusted mattress & box spring before encasing both. Then deep vacuumed entire room & put a line of hot shot with DE powder along baseboards. Nothing else was found in room. Thoroughly inspected son room as it is adjacent to ours (small 2 bed room single family home) no signs. Treated his room the same. Minus the bagging of all the stuff, but we did get rid of extra clutter. Couldn't find any other signs throughout house. Honestly I don't think I was inspecting the couch in the right places because I sleep there every night I should be finding them. but still deep vacuumed & laid powder around baseboards. & under couch. Also decluttered but didn't bag. I realize now this was not enough.
    Initial cleanup was Dec 1st. Have been heating bedding & inspecting all parts of house ones I hadn't thought of & vacuuming floors daily. Vacuuming couch & mattress weekly. Have left most of the powder in place. & keeping up on laundry sure to heat before putting away & before wearing it out of the house. Bites started going down but continued. Finding no signs.
    About mid Dec my husband was sick & took a blanket from couch to bed room. Few days later I found a very tiny nymph on mattress & about 5-6 blood stains in different spots. Killed it with proof bug & egg killer. Sprayed around mattress edge. Also sprayed some under couch. 5 days later my son has 2 bites over the next week we continue to have a few new bites a day. I continue to biohazardly clean & inspect finding no signs.
    Now this week, I'm more educated thanks to this forum. Thankfully my son has been bite free (or at least not reacting) 4 days now. I on the other hand had 15+ on wrists Jan 2nd & a few new every day in clusters on one body part. some heal quick some don't. Im still sleeping on couch didn't want to change pattern. But my husband regularly sleeps in the bed during day (works nights) I'm thinking son got his bites because many of those night we were awake late on couch (new year's & school winter break).
    On Jan 4th I finally found about 5nyphms all stages ( again not close together) & I think an adult in my couch not 100 sure, will try to post picture. They are in a zip lock! & dead. I spray treated the under part of couch close attention to seams & tuffs. My question is
    1. do I need to bag / trash everything? House is not overly cluttered. But there are lots of things on floor as we don't have a lot of storage options. Mostly just Lego's board games & DVDs in living room, & a wooden desk. Which is open to kitchen, no signs any where else in house but couch & now I know what I'm looking for I'm inspecting even harder.
    Could it be that they are concentrated there?
    2. pco not an option. I need a game plan, can't live this way. Going to have a break down.
    Plan to vacuum up powder & treat perimeter of all rooms with a spray? Lost at what to do so I don't waste money ( on a very tight budget 100$ or less US ) or make problem worse.
    I can't bag up, clean & treat the whole house by myself in one day.
    3. Am naive to think this isn't a major infestation? I've never seen a live bug running around only when searching. But the bites are almost everyday & it's been months now that we've been exposed? Please help me ease my obsessive anxious mind...

2. thirdusername

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Jan 6 2018 20:49:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I know you want a pro opinion and I'm not a pro but I don't think you have a major infestation. Read all the FAQs about do it yourself treatment. I read it is possible. Good luck.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. sleeptitesoon

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 1:06:40
    #

Login to Send PM

from what I see, do it yourself almost never works. the only things that do involve professional treatments, either chemical or heat, as well as all of the washing and DRYING that you are doing.
    I dont know why the only keepers of the solution need to be expensive.

The good news is you can get rid of them if you get professional treatments. Thats the goal GETTING RID OF THEM! I am recently all clear, almost 3 months since my last treatment, no signs since then.

4. sleeptitesoon

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 1:07:26
    #

Login to Send PM

from what I see, do it yourself almost never works. the only things that do involve professional treatments, either chemical or heat, as well as all of the washing and DRYING that you are doing.
    I dont know why the only keepers of the solution need to be expensive.

The good news is you can get rid of them if you get professional treatments. Thats the goal GETTING RID OF THEM! I am recently all clear, almost 3 months since my last treatment, no signs since then.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,393 posts in 46,313 topics over 141 months by 20,414 of 21,253 members. Latest: ChandlerBing5000, spokallus, nu2bedbugs87