Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

PRO ADVICE NEEDED: Bedbugs in Hall Closet and Nowhere Else?

(19 posts)
  1. dja322

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 9 2018 14:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all. I recently posted after finding a single bedbug on my ceiling. I had a K-9 inspection done today, and the only place the dog alerted to were two closets in the entryway of my apartment. Nothing in any other room including the bedrooms. The inspector said he felt this meant we didn't have any sort of severe infestation on our hands. But I am trying to understand why bedbugs would be living in my hall closet since it is like the one place where they would have no access to humans. Can anyone please explain to me why this would be?

2. thirdusername

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 9 2018 21:29:32
    #

Login to Send PM

If they came in on clothes and haven't spread yet.
    Did the handler find them with a manual inspection after?
    Could it be a false positive.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. SS864

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 9 2018 22:16:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Winter coats seem like they would be ideal harborages for bed bugs. Regular access to meals, and coats are usually pretty well insulated so they could hide in the pockets, lining, or hood without being directly exposed to body heat.

4. dja322

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 1:40:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Handler did not conduct a visual inspection afterward. I asked if he was going to, and he essentially said he "probably wouldn't be able to see anything anyway." Is there any chance the BB I found on my ceiling had been harboring in that closet and the dog was alerting to a residual odor? The handler did conduct a pretty thorough visual inspection prior to bringing in the dog, and he found no signs of anything anywhere. No one in my apartment has been bitten, so the only real "evidence" I have right now is this K9 alert, and since the handler didn't double down and thoroughly search the area of the alert, I am not sure how to proceed.

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 2:06:29
    #

Login to Send PM

“The only real evidence I have right now is the K9 alert”.

Just the opposite! An alert without confirmation of visual evidence means nothing. Your “bed bug” in the ceiling is the only evidence you have right now. Did you capture and take a picture of he bug? If so - it’s best to post a picture of it here to have it ID’ed. First step.

6. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 2:07:54
    #

Login to Send PM

SS864 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Winter coats seem like they would be ideal harborages for bed bugs. Regular access to meals, and coats are usually pretty well insulated so they could hide in the pockets, lining, or hood without being directly exposed to body heat.

This is bad info - not ideal for the habits of bed bugs. Now if we were talking about coat bugs I’d give you credit.

7. laneysings13

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 2:12:20
    #

Login to Send PM

8. laneysings13

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 2:13:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh, I keep having a hard time getting my images to attach correctly. Maybe this works.
    https://imgur.com/a/uXpxZ

9. laneysings13

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 2:14:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Also thanks for the reply KillerQueen. I live in NYC and was actually thinking about calling your company.

10. laneysings13

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 2:21:52
    #

Login to Send PM

It looks much more round in this photo for some reason. It appeared much more pointed and male to the naked eye. Not sure if this is just a weird camera angle, but I was pretty certain it was male. Unfortunately, I have since disposed of it, so I can't take another photo.

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 10:44:14
    #

Login to Send PM

laneysings13 - 8 hours ago  » 
    Ugh, I keep having a hard time getting my images to attach correctly. Maybe this works.
    https://imgur.com/a/uXpxZ

Yes, bed bug or close relative.
    As stated above, a k9 inspection without visual confirmation is useless. If the tech isn't willing to put in the effort to show you a live bed bug then imagine how thorough his treatments are.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  12. SS864

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 11:34:42
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 9 hours ago  » 

SS864 - 3 hours ago  » 

This is bad info - not ideal for the habits of bed bugs. Now if we were talking about coat bugs I’d give you credit.

That wasn't info, just an idea for conversation, lol. There have been a few posts about coats getting tossed because they were infested, which seems odd to me since most would be easily treated with heat?

13. thirdusername

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 1:42:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs are nocturnal and coats are not usually worn late at night / early morning.

14. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 9:43:45
    #

Login to Send PM

More silly "advice."

15. SS864

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 18:47:33
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 9 hours ago  » 
    More silly "advice."

Lol, me saying a coat "seems like it would be" a great place for bed bug to live constitutes giving advice?

16. thirdusername

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 19:15:26
    #

Login to Send PM

SS864 - 27 minutes ago  » 

BigDummy - 9 hours ago  » 
    More silly "advice."

Lol, me saying a coat "seems like it would be" a great place for bed bug to live constitutes giving advice?

I think he means me but who knows.

17. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 19:59:06
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 18 hours ago  » 
    Bed bugs are nocturnal and coats are not usually worn late at night / early morning.

He meant this advice.

Bed Bugs are NOT truly nocturnal.

18. SS864

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Jan 12 2018 2:33:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope nobody takes my posts as advice. I'm about as far from being a bed bug expert as somebody can get. I do appreciate and value these forums as a place to learn info, share ideas, and interact with others going through similar experiences. I appreciate all the ideas and opinions that everyone has shared with me, expert or not. This situation would be much harder without this community.

19. F. Pazos

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Jan 12 2018 3:27:46
    #

Login to Send PM

wow

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,403 posts in 46,317 topics over 141 months by 20,414 of 21,254 members. Latest: spokallus, nu2bedbugs87, ndjur