Private Messages system issues [resolved, sort of!]

(3 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 3 2015 20:02:54
    #

Login to Send PM

One user has noted he can no longer delete received private messages. I was unable to recreate this issue, however, so I believe it may be a browser issue.

[Update: the issue comes from having a much-too-long title which appears to throw off the formatting of the entire inbox and prevents deleting received mail. I can fix it if I can briefly log into your account. Let me know if it happens to you and you want it fixed.]

As I have explained in the past, the PM system software lacks support, so is provided AS IS. (Technically everything is "as is" per the terms of use.) The site is otherwise working fine right now (more or less), but an upcoming move to new software should help a lot of things work better and you can expect a much improved private messaging system to be implemented.

While I can turn them off, the PMs are still functioning right now because people find them useful for a quick message and because sharing your email address on the public forum is not a good idea for lots of reasons.

If you have personal concerns about currently not being able to delete PMs, please do not use them. We should have new software and a new system in place soon.

On the other hand, if you're attached to any PMs in your account and want to archive them, take a screenshot, or copy and paste to a file on your computer-- please do, per this recent green sticky announcement. They won't be moved to the new system.

On the other hand, you don't have to worry about deleting the messages you have right now. They simply won't be ported to the new system.

Thanks for your understanding!

Questions and comments are welcome below. If you feel strongly that the ability to send PMs should be shut down due to this issue (or should not), I am all ears.

(This message will be green stickied soon, but I am going to let it bounce in the "latest discussions" for a few days.)

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 5 2015 0:00:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Post above has been updated: the issue reported by one user was not as I originally understood it an inability to delete sent messages, but an inability to delete received messages.

Post above now reads: "One user has noted he can no longer delete received private messages. I was unable to recreate this issue, however, so I believe it may be a browser issue."

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 5 2015 16:19:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: the issue comes from having a much-too-long title which appears to throw off the formatting of the entire inbox and prevents deleting received mail. I can fix it if I can briefly log into your account. Let me know if it happens to you and you want it fixed.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,407 posts in 44,515 topics over 136 months by 19,518 of 20,198 members. Latest: Amy2018, sleeplessinthebay, Bugsareicky