Preventing bed bugs from falling off ceiling to a protected bed

(9 posts)
  1. TheKnightRider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 5:41:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I have heard that a common way for bed bugs to get to your bed is crawling up the wall and over the ceiling and then dropping down to your protected bed.

I thought about using double sided stick tape on the walls to stop bugs from getting on the ceiling and dropping, but as soon as there is a layer of house dust, the bugs can crawl over the tape. Replacing the tape is also expensive and time consuming.
    Use a layer of painters tape around the perimeter walls of your bed room, then put clear packing tape over top the painters tape. Then lightly coat the tape with talc powder. Bed bugs will not be able to get on the ceiling anymore. Bed bugs can't climb any smooth vertical surface that is coated with baby powder.

Maybe the tape could be applied on the wall close to the ceiling just above door and windows. Make sure to tape the entire perimeter of the room. All you would have to do to maintain this is wipe off tape with a damp rag and re apply the talc once a month or so because a layer of house dust might give bugs more grip. Painters tape is used to protect the wall paint. The packing tape that is applied over top the painters tape is smooth so bed bugs can’t climb it when coated with talc. Packing tape should be put on carefully as any creases or folds in the tape would make it easier for the bed bug to climb. For light fixtures, tape and talc could be put on the ceiling around the fixture. If the fixture is above you bed, move the bed or try sealing the fixture with calk.

My apartment complex has an on going bed bugs problem. Exterminator has sprayed my suite 5 times now. Many other suits have also been sprayed but bugs keep coming back. I do see the occasional bug walking around. When I do, the exterminator gets called in. The only way out of this vicious cycle is to get a house of my own. In the meantime, I want to use every trick in the book to keep them out of my bed and actively breading in my apartment.
    Baby powder talc works great, corn starch baby powder will also work fine if you are concerned about talc powder safety.

I am not an entomoligist or a PCO, just somone who wants to help.
    What do think of this idea?

2. WGarrow

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 10:38:17
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO says a bed bug might fall onto a bed once in a blue moon, and only in a massive infestation. When it happens, it's just a clumsy bug falling by accident. The bed bug is looking for a host, not a bed necessarily. I assume when people witness these strange events, no one is laying in the bed. I have all the respect in the world for bed bugs survivability, flexibility, resistance, and even intelligence. But purposely launching attacks from the ceiling is one thing I doubt they could pull off.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 10:43:23
    #

Login to Send PM

TheKnightRider said,

"I have heard that a common way for bed bugs to get to your bed is crawling up the wall and over the ceiling and then dropping down to your protected bed. "

Ahhh, yes, the Airborne Unit.

My understanding is that this can happen but is not common.

One way to prevent it is to not fully isolate the bed. If you put something like vaseline or oil in cups around your bed legs (the last step in truly isolating the bed), you are sending bed bugs away from the bed, and they will seek you in other locations. Some have reported bed bugs falling down on them in the way you describe.

If you follow steps to remove bed bugs from your bed and frame, but instead of isolating the legs, use something like ClimbUp Interceptors on the legs, this will both prevent bed bugs climbing onto the bed and biting you, while also not deterring them and sending them looking for you elsewhere.

This is the main reason we do recommend protecting the bed but not full "isolation." See this FAQ on protecting the bed for more.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Callisto

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 16:49:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 6 hours ago  » 
    If you put something like vaseline or oil in cups around your bed legs (the last step in truly isolating the bed), you are sending bed bugs away from the bed, and they will seek you in other locations. Some have reported bed bugs falling down on them in the way you describe.
    If you follow steps to remove bed bugs from your bed and frame, but instead of isolating the legs, use something like ClimbUp Interceptors on the legs, this will both prevent bed bugs climbing onto the bed and biting you, while also not deterring them and sending them looking for you elsewhere.

Wouldn't having the cups of oil on the legs catch bedbugs too? I'm currently using tuna cans full of mineral oil. I'll switch to climp ups if I have to, but my understanding was that if they wanted to get me in the bed, then they'd climb up the cans and then get caught in the oil o.O

5. NewBlood

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 16:53:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Wouldn't having the cups of oil on the legs catch bedbugs too? I'm currently using tuna cans full of mineral oil. I'll switch to climp ups if I have to, but my understanding was that if they wanted to get me in the bed, then they'd climb up the cans and then get caught in the oil o.0

Hey Callisto,

I think the 'thing' about that is that the bed bugs may be able to 'sense' that there is fluid there that they can't cross so instead of making the attempt to do so - they leave that bed leg and look for another, and failing to find any way up to you decide to do the whole dive bomb attack routine thing.

The climb ups have no water or the like for them to sense - just a dip that may not stop them (they don't realize that it's a valley and they're trapped between two mountains covered in talc powder when they fall in) from realizing their error until it's too late.

6. Callisto

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 17:11:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks NewBlood

A curse upon Bedbug ESP!

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 7 2010 2:17:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Callisto - 1 day ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 6 hours ago  » 
    If you put something like vaseline or oil in cups around your bed legs (the last step in truly isolating the bed), you are sending bed bugs away from the bed, and they will seek you in other locations. Some have reported bed bugs falling down on them in the way you describe.

Wouldn't having the cups of oil on the legs catch bedbugs too? I'm currently using tuna cans full of mineral oil. I'll switch to climp ups if I have to, but my understanding was that if they wanted to get me in the bed, then they'd climb up the cans and then get caught in the oil o.O

My point is that oil may more easily deter them.

And if they're deterred, you have a spreading bed bug problem -- as well as no record they're (still) there.

8. bug-tired

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 7 2010 9:08:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for this response nobugs. Just what I need to show my boyfriend, who is only trying to be helpful. He installed the climb-up interceptors for me last night and suggested that we put oil in them. I tried to explain but I don't think he believed me. He thinks I'm a little nuts about this as it is. Which I am.

9. diebbsdie

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 7 2010 13:25:11
    #

Login to Send PM

i have a question--don't bed bugs have an alarm pheremone? so if they get stuck in the climbups, will other bed bugs know it and then go to the ceiling to attack?

during my infestation last summer, i had 3 or 4 on the ceiling, as my exterminator had not sprayed up there. he sprayed after i found them up there AND caulked around my light fixture. then, i'm pretty sure it stopped. i do NOT believe it is rare at all for them to resort to the ceiling. they smell your breath, they'll find you anyway possible. (shiver...)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,358 posts in 29,439 topics over 90 months by 12,704 of 19,967 members. Latest: ShooBug, BuggyNoMoreIHope, hinfungyik