Pretty sure I don't have BB, but want to be preventative

(10 posts)
  1. paroniodandfreaked

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 10 2011 15:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

So it all started with a story on the news about recent infestations in my area and what to look for. I immediately started my investigation.

I noticed that there were discarded couches in the neighbors driveway about 6 feet from the side of the house, which is where my bedroom is. There were many creepy crawleys on the couches, wood bugs, other unidentifiable creatures. I then noticed a discarded chair along the side of the house which has been there for a while as well.

I contacted the city authorities at once and they had a bylaw inspector out that same day. They contacted me back and stated that they would be giving the neighbors a number of citations in the next few weeks. I was really pleased with the fast response of the city. As the neighbors are renters as far as I know, I am hoping that they take this seriously and deal with the discarded furniture asap as it has me wigging out after I saw that stuff on the news about discarded furniture possibly harboring BB.

My fear is that they could have migrated over to our house as our house is older and has many cracks and crevices where potential pests could enter. Are my fears justified or am I just being a paranoid freakshow?

I have had a couple of bites in the span of 3 days, my BF swears it was a mosquito as he saw one flying around. I have not been bit by anything before, or in 2 nights before starting my crazy cleaning and purging exercise. If anything, it's good to get rid of stuff that is not being used.

(In the list of stuff below, I found 1 bug in a fabric storage box under my bed, not sure what kind of bug it was but I disposed of everything in the box and the box itself after a dousing in alcohol. Other than that, I have found nothing.)

I have since taken apart my bedframe, made of wood, and inspected thourougly, inspected and bagged my mattress, cleared out the stuff I had stored under my bed, inspected and disposed or vacuumed and sprayed with alcohol and moved to another room. I have also cleared out my bedside tables, also wood, inspected, cleaned with Murphy's wood oil. Did the same with my dresser, wooden trunk. I am in the process of inspecting and vacuuming out my old roll top desk that has many cracks and crevices.

I am also in the process of laundering every piece of clothing in my room, hot wash and dry and then they are being folded and laid on the couch in a separate room, I know they should be in bags but how far should I go at this point.

While I had my bed frame apart, I gave it a good dusting of Insectigone, a dust containing DE labeled safe for humans and pets, to the frame, screw holes, and legs. There is no way those creatures could survive a trip up my bed fortress without serious consequences!

I dusted the legs of my bedside tables, dresser, wooden chest (which is empty), and desk with the DE laced stuff. I have lined the drawers in my bedside table with a very fine film of DE which I have been placing vacuumed and inspected stuff such as books in. I vacuumed everything from papers to dvd's and have removed from room or stored in DE lined drawers.

I also have a very light dusting of the powder around the perimeter of the room on the laminate flooring and under the baseboards and have tried to put a little in any cracks I see in the wall as it is old wood paneling that has been painted recently but has a few crack, seams throughout the room .

I should also mention that the 2 rooms, bedroom and rec room, that are on the main floor were gutted to the cement floor and renovated from new laminate flooring and baseboards, and painted from floor to ceiling 5 months ago.

Wow, that was a mouthfull! Anyways, that's the background, I am not willing to call in the professionals as of yet as I am not convinced that there is a problem and I am not sure how much more thoroughly they would be able to search than what I have done already.

Here are my questions, any feedback would be very much appreciated!

- Is there anything I have been doing that I shouldn't be?

- What more should I be doing?

- How long should I wait to transfer the laundered clothing back into the checked and "DE fortified" dresser, I would prefer to do it sooner than later as I would like to be able to use the other rooms as more than just a storage facility.

- Is the whole laundering process been for nothing as I have placed clean laundry on a couch, one that has had no signs of any bugs, without inspecting that room?

- would putting a light dusting of Insectigone dust in the corners of the drawers advisable if they have clothing in them? (I suspect not)

- I will vacuum the room weekly and launder all bedding including quilt and pillows, how long should I continue re applying the DE dust? Do I need to re apply if I am vacuuming up the dust bust it is still visible on the laminate as a very light white film?

- Would it be advisable to do anything to the outside of the house until the old furniture next door is disposed of? Dusting of insectiside around the perimeter perhaps?

- Is there any legal discourse should BB be found in our house and the furniture outside proves to be the source? (Not sure how you could prove it)

- How long without any signs of them til I can be sure that they sure not here?

- Is there a possibility of driving them upstairs to my roommates room with the steps I am taking on my own? no pesticides, sprays, other than alcohol and DE dust have been used.

Again, thank you for any input into this situation. I realize that I may be jumping to conclusions and being a paranoid freakshow, but I have the time to do this right now, better safe than sorry and it will give me peace of mind until the stuff next door has been dealt with!

Thanks Again!

2. paroniodandfreaked

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed May 11 2011 2:00:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Is anyone out there???

3. lagirl31

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed May 11 2011 12:47:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but I think you probably don't need to be doing quite so much prevention if you haven't seen a bug or any signs of one in your cleaning frenzy.

It sounds like you need to monitor your situation - I would think the passive monitors sound right for you, because you aren't really getting bitten on a regular basis and you just want to be able to check for bugs. Climb ups are another option, but I'm not sure if they would be the best choice because it seems like you don't currently have bugs in your bed. But again, I'm not an expert.

If I were you, I'd encase my mattress (and boxsprings, if you have them) and put up a passive monitor. That should make it easy to catch an infestation early and give you some peace of mind. Read up on how to do a careful bed bug inspection and do one once a month or so. Also, the DE probably isn't necessary and some people on here have suggested that it's dangerous for you.

If you haven't seen any signs of bugs or had any more bites, I'd probably go ahead and put my clothes back in the drawers. Living out of plastic bags is a serious pain if you don't have to be doing it.

At least your house is nice and clean for spring!

4. paroniodandfreaked

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed May 11 2011 16:11:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response! I was beginning to think that the novel I had written may have deterred people from reading the actual questions I had at the end, but I wanted to be thorough to yield the most accurate advice. If anyone has any input on the other questions listed at the end of the first post, please feel free to chime in.

I am on the last part of my cleaning and sorting through everything. I can't believe how much stuff I have gotten rid of in the process, so BB or not, it has been good. I have found nothing since that 1 bug in the fabric box under my bed.

I do think there is a possibility that the few bites I did get could very well have been BB bites from what I have researched, and the bug I found could very well have been a baby BB, so that has given me enough fuel to take the steps I have. I am hoping that if there was just a small few, I could be proactive get it before it becomes a problem.

5. Rosae

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 14 2011 7:29:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, you can't be cautious enough. If I had performed all those actions 18 months ago when I got my first bites (I wrongly assumed it was a tick), I wouldn't have had such a bad infestation now.

By the time I strongly suspected that I had bed bugs I did everything wrong what I could have done wrong and it ended up with thousands of them spread through my entire apartment.

So, maybe you have already killed them by all your actions? In my case most of the population lived inside my comforter, steal bed frame, pillows, couch and in & under all rugs and carpets.

I have also seen them in soft spare items like unused cushions and furry toy animals inside closets in other rooms (also if there is no host to feed on they stay there if it is soft enough), so if you are not very often in a specific room, they stay there in the hope you come around and take them with you again. I don't know how long they can live there without food, some studies say two years, some say one year, other experiences say three months, 70 days or even only 50 days.

This is very important to know; but unfortunately no one seems to know for sure.

I wish you all the best! And excuse for my English, I guess it won't be quite correct as I don't speak this language very often.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 4 2011 21:55:22
    #

Login to Send PM

A note about DE: you should not be reapplying it and vacuuming it up weekly.

First, it is harmful to vacuum cleaners.
    Second, it's a mechanical killer. It can stay down and keep killing bed bugs for a very long time.
    (We have a FAQ on DE.)

If you're going to launder items to kill bed bugs, put them in a sealed bag afterwards; otherwise, you can't be sure they're bed bug-free.

If you have bed bugs, there is always a chance they will spread to neighbors even if you don't use treatment methods which repel them.

As for the legal issues, you would have to consult a lawyer.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. i hate buggs

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2011 14:24:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 2 months ago  » 
    Second, it's a mechanical killer. It can stay down and keep killing bed bugs for a very long time.
    (We have a FAQ on DE.)
    If you're going to launder items to kill bed bugs, put them in a sealed bag afterwards; otherwise, you can't be sure they're bed bug-free.
    If you have bed bugs, there is always a chance they will spread to neighbors even if you don't use treatment methods which repel them.

Hi Nobugsonme.................How long does DE last ?

8. i hate buggs

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2011 14:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 2 months ago  » 
    (We have a FAQ on DE.)

Hi Nobugsonme.................How long does DE last ?

9. Dats Right

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 30 2013 8:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I think your cautiousness is smart. I have boric acid in my electrical outlets and edge of carpet. Aside from it's killing of practically all pest, I feel it may assist as a bb barrier within reason. My aunt wouldn't have had such a horrible infestation if she acted as you did. I'm not familiar with using DE but I'm a big fan of boric acid. Yeah, it's often deemed useless against bb's. Not in my experience because it repelled from my experience and discouraged bb occupancy where placed. I sincerely think it was the master blow to treating my brother's home. It completely stopped bites when placed at bed legs. Does it kill them, don't know. I never once saw a bb walking thru it like some claim is the case with DE.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 30 2013 9:02:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Boric acids only works once ingested by an insect so is only affective with ingesting or grooming insects with biting rather than piercing mouth parts.

However DE which acts by removing lipids from the exoskeleton of insects and causing dehydration is a universal action.

Hope that clarifies by boric acid is the wrong thing for bedbugs.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

265,480 posts in 43,023 topics over 129 months by 18,880 of 19,439 members. Latest: summabitches, WhatAreThese, Freakedout101