preparing apt. to move back in after treatment

(13 posts)
  1. marieke

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 18 2010 11:24:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I got my first treatment, a combination of steaming, dusting and spraying, two weeks ago. They are coming back for the second treatment on Monday. They said after this treatment I can return my things that have been bagged up to their rightful place. How do I prepare the apartment? There's powder all over, and I know i can't see the spray but it's there too. I've been staying with my family for the last two weeks.

For example, now that the drawers of the dresser have been treated, is it safe to put my clothes (freshly laundered) back in? Do I clean off the drawers? If so, with what? I don't want to get poison on my clothes.

2. Jenn28

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 18 2010 12:32:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Marieke,

Don't clean anything off. Put your clothes back in your dresser at a later date after you've given time for the treatment to wear off or hang them in the closet for now. I will be leaving my dresser drawers empty for a while. I will also continue to leave clothes I don't really need in plastic bags and re-dry them again when I'm ready to unpack. How bad was your infestation? No many people live elsewhere while being treated for bb. Is that what the PCO told you to do? Did they get all the bugs even though no one was there to act as bait during treatment?

3. Jenn28

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 18 2010 12:34:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I've just realized when you say "move back in" you mean unpacking and not that you weren't there at all. My bad.

4. marieke

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 18 2010 12:57:35
    #

Login to Send PM

No I did move out between the treatments - I've stayed with my family for the last two weeks. I just couldn't take it there. I live in a house with three apartments, neither of the other two apartments have seen them. I saw one adult fully formed crawling on my living room floor and got the treatment that night -- do you think that because I left and there's no bait they've receceed farther into the walls? Should i try and stay there before the next treatment? Ugh.

5. Jenn28

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 18 2010 14:15:20
    #

Login to Send PM

So you've only seen one of them? Were you getting bitten and did you find any in your room or hiding out in corners of your mattress? If not, it could be possible that, that one hitched a ride to your house all by itself. Better to be safe than sorry, so treatment was a good idea anyway. If there is not any bitting or alot of activity going on at your house, just move back in and sleep in your bed. Does your PCO do a thorough inspection in addition to the spraying? What did he tell you after the first treatment?

6. marieke

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 18 2010 14:50:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I did get a cluster of bites in the middle of my back which i only realized the day after I found the bed bug so I'm not sure if it was that one bed bug that got me, that the bite happened before, but I doubt it. He did inspect and said after the treatment that he really thought it was an isolated incident because usually the bed bug react and will come out of the mattress or box-spring upon being sprayed. I'm sure that happens in places when there's a massive number, but I'm guessing in my place there are a few, it's just a matter of finding them and I can't figure where they are. When he comes back on Monday I'm going to ask him to inspect the place again before and after treatment. I think my main concern now is thinking that they've seemingly gone away but it's only because my Oxygen is not there to attract them, that they'll come back when I move back in. I bought the Protect-A-Bed coverings for the bed, but what about the fabric couch? Is it even safe poison-wise to sit on it now that it's been sprayed?

7. Jenn28

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 18 2010 16:32:45
    #

Login to Send PM

My sofa is a cheap IKEA sofa with removalbe washable covers. I am not sure if he sprayed the sofa, but if he did, it dried by the time we got home. We were gone for 6 hours after the spray. I had a K-9 in about 3 weeks before spraying and the sofa was given the okay and when he inspected it, I watched and he said he didn't see any feces or anything at all. That didn't suprise me because of the result of the K-9 inspection. Maybe after the treatment is done and you've waited the 3 weeks or what ever it is you're supposed to wait, you should get a K-9 too. The result of my first spray has also come back with no bug sightings. It's a good sign. Get the second treatment and then have the dog in, it will give you peace of mind. I plan on having the dog back sometime in the next month or two.

8. marieke

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 19 2010 6:33:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Great suggestion, thanks so much. Are you in NYC? I'm in Brooklyn. Can you suggest a K9?

9. Jenn28

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 19 2010 12:38:25
    #

Login to Send PM

marieke,

Sorry no, I'm in Canada.

10. marieke

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 19 2010 20:32:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh well, but many thanks!

11. bushbugg

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 19 2010 21:00:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Jenn28 - 1 day ago  » 
    My sofa is a cheap IKEA sofa with removalbe washable covers.

Jenn, what kind of ikea sofa? Is it a fold down futon with wooden slats in a metal frame? The places those wooden slats are covered by plastic was my ground zero.

12. Jenn28

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 19 2010 21:41:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Bushbug,

No it's an Ektorp sofa. The bad news, I have an Ikea bed. There are a TON of hiding places on that frame and it's a wood frame......of course. The PCO says that they were laying their eggs in the metal slats of the bed frame. I always wondered where they were nesting. Buggers!!

13. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 19 2010 22:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If you think your PCO is at all reliable, you should consult with him or her about what to do.

Most pest management professionals set up their techniques assuming that the humans in the residence will act as bait. If you haven't been there and acting as bait, the techniques might be less effective.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what kind of dust you're finding all over the place, but if it's DE, then is may be an inhalation hazard depending on how it's applied. (I don't say this to freak you out, but it is important to understand the risks of what is going on in your place.)

If the items in bags have been debugged (they've been heated up in the dryer to kill any bugs or eggs), and the PCO says put 'em back, then, by all means, if you want to put them back, do so.

Personally, I didn't want to have to keep doing that much laundry. So I pulled out a select subset of clothes that I used for the time between treatment and being pretty sure I was bug free. In other words, everything that's in a sealed bag--as long as it was bug free when it went in--if it stays in that bag, you wouldn't need to wash and dry or dry it again if you need a repeat treatment.

The bagging doesn't magically kill bed bugs; it just assures that any clothes or linens that have been debugged stay that way so that you don't have to retreat them with more heat before a second treatment. It also allows the PCO access to spots in your residence to be able to apply pesticides as efficiently as possible.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,117 posts in 31,020 topics over 94 months by 13,443 of 20,849 members. Latest: senses123, So Mad, joshc