Post PCO worries w/small dog at home -seizures(5 posts)
We were treated on Friday by a PCO, went back to open windows about 5 hours later, did not return with 6lb dog for about 9 hours post-treatment. PCO recommended 6 hrs of exile. When we got home, dog seemed okay but ab out about 30 min had a seizure and we had to bring her outside for fresh air and call the 24 hr animal hotline. She's been ok since then but we decided to stay elsewhere (took many precautions w/clean clothes/bag etc) for the weekend. Tomorrow we go home and I'm worried she might still be breathing in the fumes or picking them up on her paws from the carpet and then internalizing them when she licks her paws to clean herself. Does anyone else have experience with pest control and small dogs? We might be able to re-home her for a month until treatment is over but I feel like that would be even more traumatic (for me also). Thanks in advance for any advice.
In most states, PCOs are required by law to give clients a list of all chemicals used in treating a residence.
The first thing I would do is call your vet and see what your vet says. While PCOs are experts in pest control, they are not experts in everything (just as I'm an expert in certain subjects, and utterly helpless in others.), and they may not be as up to date on the specifics of how chemical pesticides affect all breeds of dogs. (I'm sure they know the generalities. But we've had questions before from folks with less common pets like birds or fish or reptiles, and it wouldn't surprise me if most PCOs weren't as familiar with the effects of the chemicals on those animals either.)
Once you've called your vet, contact either the PCO directly, or (if you're a renter) your landlord / property management company and get the information about specifically which chemicals and substances were used in your apartment.
I didn't have chemical treatment (or at least, not primarily), so I'm not as familiar with the chemicals, and I have a cat not a dog (and my cat definitely weighs more than 6 pounds), so I can't help with specifics, but in general, the two next steps would be talking to the PCO to get a very specific list of what chemical pesticides were used and talking to your vet to see if the vet knows the effect of those chemicals.
I'd call the vet first because the you want to get the dog medical attention as soon as possible since the seizure could be unrelated.
Hang in there.
I suggest you contact the company that treated.
I'm so sorry you and your dog went through that, I know it must be very frightening.
Calling the PCO is a good idea. The vet will want the list of chemicals used.
Thank you for all the responses. I'm going to get the list of chemicals - they must have given it to my coop management office instead of us. Then I'll contact the vet and get their opinion. In the meantime, sadly but responsibly, we are going to rehome the dog with relatives until we can be sure it's a safe environment for her.
You must log in to post.