(5 posts)
  1. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 22 2010 14:53:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

About six weeks ago I noticed what appeared to be a whole slew of bites on my back which is what led me to suspect bed bugs and how I ended up here. I did a fairly thorough search I did stop short of taking the frame apart and searching in every groove and slot) of my bed and didn't find any evidence of bed bugs or anything else. I even had a k9 inspection and there were no alerts.

I've just about convinced myself that my issue isn't bed bug or otherwise pest related and that the marks on my back are some other unrelated dermatological condition. The one thing though that continues to nag me is that I find blood spots on my sheets pretty regularly. I have really bad dermatitis on my hands and at times it gets so bad that they bleed. I try to tell myself that this is the cause of the blood spots, and I do think that it accounts for some of them, but some of the spots are on locations which just don't make sense relative to my hands.

I haven't really noticed anything which might definitely be bites on parts of my body other than my back, but occasionally my legs will itch just a little bit and if I look closely enough I see very small red pinprick marks. If it weren't for my heightened state of alert, I'm virtually certain that I wouldn't even notice them.

Anyway, aside from bed bugs can anyone suggest any pests which might bite at night and leave blood on the sheets? Would fleas do this? How likely is it for someone without pets to have fleas?

My apologies for rambling and thanks in advance for any thoughts that anyone might have.

-rs1971

2. baumannm

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 22 2010 15:14:10
    #

Login to Send PM

There are a few things i see here. One you are not going to be able to diagnose bedbugs based off what may appear to be a bite due to everyone reacts differently so its impossible to diagnose a bedbug from a bite. The blood you are sighting on the sheet obviously is yours but could the areas on your back that appear to be bites be some kind of dermatitis issue as you said, that is something you need to speak to your doctor about.
    If you have already had human inspections and a k9 unit and neither can find traces of live bugs, casting skins or fecal matter then the next step would buy some monitoring tools. I would recommend a encasement because there would be no place for a bedbug to hide and they are white so they stick out like a shore thumb.
    For the flea questions, yes fleas bite obviously but they do not sustain life off of a human for long periods of time. I have seen it where people live in a apartment and had a animal with fleas that slept under the bushes right next to their apartment and they have carried them into their house. Fleas are unmistakable though you can see them on you and they jump. If you think it is fleas you can always try the old remedies such as place a lamp in the middle of the floor and put a big bucket of soapy water next to the lamp, fleas can not get out of the soapy water and that could be used as a monitoring tool to see if you have fleas.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 22 2010 17:47:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Blood spots on sheets can be caused by a vast array of things, not all of them insect based. I have listed a few below but it is by no means extensive.

• Carpet beetles - allergy induced through inteaction with the hairs
    • Fleas - will often feed on human if no other warm blooded host is available
    • Dust mite allergy - allergic reaction to their dropping one situation where encasement is the correct option
    • Medical conditions - some antibiotics can induce skin reactions that could leave blood spots
    • Acne / spots - these are not always the reddened visible spots
    • Allergic reaction to soap / detergent / washing powder - they dont alwasy tell you when they change the forumlae
    • Small cuts and scratches

It is actually easier to rule out bedbugs than it is to remotely diagnose which of the other possibilities it may be.

With regards fleas when you have no pets yes its feasible, fleas are also good hitch hickers and can make it home with you from all manner of places or even that thuft of grass on the sidewalk. Plug in flea traps can be effective in many cases.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  4. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 22 2010 19:08:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David and Baumannm, I really appreciate your both having taken the time to reply. I think that this weekend I will take the entire bed apart and go over everything with a fine tooth comb and also take David's advice and buy a plug-in flea trap. Not being able to get to the bottom of this is the worst part. In any event, thanks again.

-rs1971

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 22 2010 20:07:37
    #

Login to Send PM

rs1971 - 56 minutes ago  » 
    Not being able to get to the bottom of this is the worst part. In any event, thanks again.
    -rs1971

You will be able to get to the bottom of it, it may just take a little time. Sometimes with bites and "reactions" it just becomes a matter of systematically changing one thing at a time until the problem is resolved. Avoid changing too much at once though so you dont loose track of the vital variables.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.