(4 posts)
  1. Principedivetro

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 20:36:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is my situation:

I recently moved into an apartment that had never been lived in before. The entire complex was just completed a couple of months ago and I was part of the first round of move-ins, so I'm fairly confident there were no bed bugs present prior to move in. Aside from my clothing that I brought with me (that I'm confident was bed bug-free prior to my move), everything else was purchased brand new. All of my furniture was sealed, boxed, shrink-wrapped, etc. when it was brought into the apartment and absolutely nothing was acquired second-hand.

I have been sleeping in my bed for about a week now with no evidence of bed bugs. No bites, no skin casing, no stains, nothing. Then today, I was making my bed and I came across this stain:

http://i.imgur.com/pLThS9L.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Uy1lWyy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M4JyIvN.jpg

The last image is to hopefully establish some scale for size purposes. I apologize for my bad photography skills, because the coloring is difficult to see. The darker spot is almost a burgundy color and the outer, more faded area is a light yellow-brown.

Is it possible this is a stain from a bed bug? It's a little odd because it is on the outside corner of a pillow that I don't sleep directly on, so if it does happen to be related to a bed bug, I'm not sure how it would have been crushed. I'm sure (well, hoping) that it's nothing, but any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 5:57:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Too much red to be connected with a bed bug.

Best to monitor and focus on finding:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Principedivetro

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 10:09:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your expertise.

As I said, aside from that random mark on my pillowcase, I am otherwise symptomless and had absolutely no reason to suspect any kind of infestation. I have a solid and patternless white mattress that anything out-of-the-ordinary would show up on clearly and I always check my bed thoroughly when I change the sheets. Considering its too red to be from a bed bug, I can probably put the whole thing out of my mind and go back to business-as-usual, right?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 11:36:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would advocate monitoring and monthly checking when you deep clean your sleeping area.

This is good practice and should be done as a routine more a multitude of reasons including the risk of bed bugs.

Slightly different to "just forget about it" but I am all about empowering people.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335