Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Poppy seed poop found on my bed and bites everywhere!

(7 posts)
  1. IdontKNOWwhatitis

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 10:56:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, i know its been a while since the last post on this, but i have to tell you im also going crazy. I've got bites everywhereeeeeee and i found at least 3 of these poppy seeds things, one about 2 weeks ago, one 3 days ago, and one now.
    The first two were on my bed, and the other one i found on small couch next to my bed. Today my mom cleaned out my whole room and vacuumed and did the whole bunch, and i came in later in the day and sprayed the room up and down with rubbing alcohol...you know just in case lol. I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing this, and if they've got an idea to what it could be? i mean im super itchy and i have bites everywhere and i dont really wanna spend the money to go and see a dermatologist.. please help

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 12:09:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Chances are that it's not bed bugs.

Bed bug fecal matter tends NOT to look like poppy seeds. When most people call the "poop" they found poppy seeds, they're talking about a substance that will brush off if moved.

Bed bug fecal matter does not move when brushed.

It looks a lot like one of two things. If the bed bug fecal matter is on fabric (like the fabric on the outside of a mattress, or sheets, or clothes), it looks like someone left a permanent magic marker like a Sharpie uncapped so that the tip came into contact with the fabric and bled its black ink into the fabric. Like a spot from a pen, it won't even come out of the fabric after several washings.

If the fecal matter lands on something less porous like wood or plastic, it looks like a little tiny drop of something like tar but hard. If you've ever seen the candy dots that some on a strip of paper that you tear off the paper to eat, then fecal matter on non-porous surfaces looks a lot like it's a black version of that--but smaller size wise than a full on candy dot. The candy dot gives you an idea of the shape and the exterior texture of what the substance looks like on hard surfaces.

It's always hard to tell from descriptions that something is or isn't for sure a bed bug sign, but nothing about the description you've given says bed bugs to me.

Not being a PCO or an entomologist, I can't tell you what does leave poppy seed sized stuff behind, but bed bugs wouldn't be my first guess if I were you unless I found evidence that more specifically suggests them.

Going to see a dermatologist wouldn't be my first choice. Dermatologists can't tell you much more--even if they really know bug bites--that something is or isn't a bug bite by a bug from a very general class of bugs.

If you can't search the residence to find evidence of different kinds of bugs, I would consider hiring a PCO who knows his or her stuff to identify your problem.

However, at this point, you're probably better of doing an inspection yourself to make sure that it's bugs of some sort first.

3. mysterious bites

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Nov 6 2010 14:44:17
    #

Login to Send PM

IdontKNOWwhatitis -- did you ever figure out the source of the poppy seeds? I have been finding similar things in our bed. My husband has been getting bites at night -- but the bed bug exterminators are convinced that we do not have bed bugs.

4. freakingout2010

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Nov 6 2010 17:13:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello IdontKNOWwhatitis: I am very new here too but I am wondering if what you are finding is dead fleas? I grew up in a home that raised show dogs and so we had many flea battles.

Fleas live off the host 99% of the time and they bite everywhere they can reach. Not everyone gets bitten in a household with fleas nor do you have to have pets to get them. Like bedbugs you can bring them home from a walk down the street. They jump and are very fast. A dead flea is not going to dissolve in liquid either. Also not everyone reacts, I do and swell and itch like mad.

I actually got bitten at the airport recently and couldn't find the source until I was home in my garage trying to deal with potentially bb exposed luggage. Believe me I was freaking out that something unseen was biting me while doing this. Don't laugh but I finally pulled off my pants right in the garage and it was there biting me on the leg. The flea was quickly smooshed (hard to kill btw) and flushed. Talk about relief that it wasn't a bb.

I hope that what you are finding are fleas because they are easier to treat for then bb. Please do a google search for images of fleas. You will find lots, some magnified and some actual size. Spraying with alcohol won't affect fleas.

Here's to hoping they are fleas!

5. freakingout2010

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Nov 6 2010 17:14:14
    #

Login to Send PM

oops, I didn't mean you can get bb from walking down the street sorry. You can however pick up a stray biting flea that way

6. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Nov 6 2010 19:21:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Will a frost kill fleas?

7. freakingout2010

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 1:35:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Fleas tend to be seasonal critters most active during the warmer seasons and going dormant during cold. They are less active to completely not active in the dead of winter. West coast fleas stay active longer in my experience.

Not sure what the temps are to kill them off. Regular washing and drying of clothing will kill the ones in fabrics, they drown. There are tons of effective treatments for them from sprays, bug bombs to simple powders including de.

This is just from my experience as a vet tech years back.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,422 posts in 29,452 topics over 90 months by 12,708 of 19,973 members. Latest: neatnik, waryweary, AshleyMapple