(52 posts)
  1. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 6 2017 20:31:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I posted this to the New to the Forum topic and haven't had any responses yet, I know it's only been a day but I sure could use some moral support or for anyone to tell me how to get through this or that is got better for them, while the forum has been unbelievably supportive, it's also full of horror stories that has me thinking the worst. We just bought our home a year ago, first one and reading story after story here, I'm feeling like the only answer will be to leave it at some point. See my story here

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/buggy-in-philly-my-story-new-to-forum-need-some-moral-suport

Thanks in advance for any and all support.

2. Sunnydaz

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 6 2017 22:12:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Cuddlebug,

I wish I could tell you it gets better but I'm just not there yet either. I quess maybe I'm starting to see the light. I understand everything you are feeling. It's all I think about. I don't want to be social out of fear I will tell people that don't need to know because it's always on my mind. I have to stop myself from talking about it with the family I did tell because I'm sure they are tired of hearing about it.

We realized we had BB the last week of May, but I'm sure we had them for 3 months before that. My husband went on a business trip. We were getting bites and even joked about it being bed bugs. I never thought I would get bed bugs. I clean ever single day. I have a folder with a daily, weekly, monthly cleaning schedule! Now of course I realize that was completely naive of me.
    We had three treatments. I haven't seen any bb since 6/24. My son has gotten a few bites after the last treatment but we can't find any evidence in his room. He hasn't had a bite in 2 days. I'm praying he won't wake up with more.
    Anyway I just wanted you to know you're not alone.

3. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 7 2017 7:23:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi sunnydaz,

I am so sorry you are going through this but please know you are not alone. I can totally relate though about how naive I was about it all. I am a neat freak and we have very little clutter, I now know what a misconception it was to think we were impervious to something like this. The only thing that could make this more stressful is if we had a child in here. We don't have kids so I am really feeling for you and all those whose kids are being affected by this and I hope your son continues to go bite free. I'm not sure how to let go of the constant worry. I know it's still early but it feels like I never will. I told my husband that it feels like at best you go into some bb remission but that you are always waiting for them yo reappear. I do t want to live like that. My only solace while corny is the old saying that time will heal us a bit. It's the waiting that is so hard. We haven't seen anything since our heat treatment last wed but from everything I read on here that doesn't mean anything. Let's keep each other posted. It sounds like we are both doing everything in our power to get these suckers and following all the right guidelines and I read so many horrible stories on here perhaps we can be each others support story. Just remember each day we are doing the best we can at the moment. I hope today is better for both of us

4. Sunnydaz

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 7 2017 10:22:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi CuddleBug,
    Absolutely! Let's keep each other posted. We have a lot of similarities. It would be great if anyone else is looking for support that would like to share also. We will get through this. I'm sure most people who get past this stop posting because they just want to move forward.
    Going into bb remission! Yes! Lol! I think that is what it will be like.
    It is hard seeing my son continue to get bites. My husband would sleep in his room and not get any bites. So we would have my son go back in and he would get more bites. On a good note no new bites for 3 days!! Like I said we couldn't find anything in his room. We did remove a recliner that seems like it would have been a good hiding spot. I'm starting to feel hopeful, but afraid to feel that way. I'm may completely loose it if I find anything bb related.
    How did the heat treatment work? I often wonder if we should have gone that route. I have a very dedicated PCO. He comes anytime I see anything and is very dedicated to getting us through this.
    I seen you other post about your everything bagel! Lol! Isn't it funny the things we are examining now. That must have been interesting!
    Thank you reaching out. I'll be here for you when you need to share.

5. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 7 2017 17:41:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sunnydaz,

Hope you're making it through another day. I'm so glad your son has gone 3 biteless days. One day at a time right? I feel like my paranoia is hitting insane levels. I had a Physical therapy appointment right after work today and something I would have never thought twice about but I freaked that I couldn't decontaminate with a new set of clothes before I got in my car and then at PT putting my clothes on the chair (why don't doctor's offices have hooks) and getting on the massage table with sheets, all the little things you paid no mind to before. I'm going to probably light myself on fire accidentally I'm carrying around a spray bottle of 90% alcohol. This would all be hysterical if it weren't so distressing. I have a video of my box spring the day we found the harborage. I posted it here and David Cain, expert from the UK responded and said the infestation looked light and about 2 months old, that it wouldn't be extremely difficult to clear (good news), bad news is that he said it was more important to figure out where it came from 'single' source, which is a one time occurrance ie (movie theatre, hotel, subway, etc...) or a local source, something I'm exposed to over and over (workplace, friend or family's house, doggie daycare, or dog walker, etc...) and this has me freaked as of course I'm focused on the negative, not the positive that it was light and caught early. 2 months ago there were a number of things that happened that could've lead to this and so there is no way for me to know. They all happened in a 2 week frame (hotel stay, mom traveled and stayed here, got a rescue dog, visited with my brother and wife and their new baby, who got a mysterious rash a few weeks ago), and the worst of all is thinking this may have come from my work. I am an alternative health care practitioner and while I am independent contractor I work for / with a woman who owns the business office, I interact with about 7 patients a day and who knows what they bring in and out. We use a linen service for sheets which I'm changing constantly, waiting room and office furniture, etc.....I have never seen anything there but I can't tell her, it will end my career which I've worked so hard to build up. I'm thinking about setting up some monitors on the sly. I can't bear the thought I might have brought them there or to my mom's house, she has rash on her arms that look like bites but we've had her home thoroughly inspected and nothing. We will do so again in August. I want to feel positive about the nature of my situation and our PCO is great and thorough and I'm sure will eradicate this, but not knowing where it came from has me standing on edge all the time wondering if and when it will come back. My mom asked me to go to the movies tonight and you might have thought she had offered me a root canal. Def not ready for that. We are supposed to go to New York City on Wed to see a show on Broadway and I'm panicked just thinking about it. All the things that used to give me such joy. Have you been getting bitten, your husband? or just your son? My husband of course has not a scratch, I have so many scars from all of this and that's what also makes it hard, even on the days I want to ignore it and pretend it isn't happenin all I have to do is look down at my arm. My worst fear is that our little rescue puppy we got April 1 might have brought them in. He was living with a hoarder who was also hoarding dogs about 18 of them and the rescue rescued them and less than 24 hours brought them to a rescue event. He was shaved down and we assumed had been dipped, but looking back we don't know. It was a day before we properly bathed him to be honest. You worry about fleas but never would have thought about this. I just hope he doesn't make it harder to get rid of them. Anyway thanks for listening. Try to have a good and bb free weekend. Praying I go all weekend without any new bites.

6. Sunnydaz

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 7 2017 19:45:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi CuddleBug,
    I'm sorry you're having such an anxious day. That is good to know yours was a lght infestation. Although I can see how figuring out where you got them is so difficult. You did have so many things happening in that time frame. We are fairly certain my husband brought them home from a work trip. He put his bag right next to our bed and stored his shoes under our bed. Unbelievable now!
    Yes, my husband and I were both getting bites for several weeks before we realized what was happening. Thankfully neither of us have gotten a single bite since the first treatment. My son actually started getting bites after the first treatment. We never found any evidence of bugs in his room but I'm thinking they was a small infestation in his recliner chair. I'm hoping they are gone now that his chair has been removed. It so frightening not knowing if they are just hiding out. I really think I will loose it if I find another one alive or if my son gets a new bite. I realize I shouldn't base it on bites alone, but I'm not rational right now.
    I completely understand you fear of spreading them. I think spreading them to a loved one would be worse then having them myself. I don't like going to anyone's house because the stress I feel after is too much. Even if I put fresh clothes on. I can't take it!
    When was you last bite? I'm sorry to hear about your arms. Mine have all healed. I'm still waiting for my sons to be gone. His reactions are very strong. I had to take him to the doctor because one bite was so large.
    I'm not so sure if your new puppy would have been the reason for your infestation. I guess anything s possible. Imagine, if only it would have been fleas!
    I'll be praying for you to have a bite free weekend also.

7. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 7 2017 22:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I am actually highly allergic to flea bites and when the bites started happening a few weeks after we got him I was paranoid it was fleas even though I couldn't find a one on him and he's got a flea collar, but I don't know if I should be thanking him or cursing him (if he brought the bb's in ) because of my flea paranoia even though we didn't find any I had my husband spray everything with premethrin flea spray (which is one of chemicals used against bb's) and also put Diatomaceous Earth powder down into our carpets and vaccuum. I had him do this like every other day for a few weeks. In hindsight, I think it is what kept our bb infestation at a low level, but perhaps what also made it hard to detect. I am praying ours came from a single source like yours did, such as a hotel or a place I don't go very often, or yes even on the dog from his previous home, as then once we eradicate it we are starting fresh so to speak, rather than it coming from a place I frequent. I was so fearful it was coming from the attached neighbor but so far they check out on inspection. They are coming for our post heat treatment tomorrow and that makes me feel a lot better. I think once my bites heal (I have very sensitive skin and even without scratching they are leaving brown scars), maybe mentally I can begin to heal too. I'm single handedly destroying the environment with the hundreds of plastic bags we've gone through, and I am dreading next month's electric bill, almost done all the laundering only a few more loads to go. Here is to a semi 'normal' and bite free weekend. Hang in there!

8. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 15:39:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Cuddlebug, first I'm sorry you're going through this. Such a bummer to be paranoid about going to a Broadway show, and so understandable.

I also feel for you on the mother front as I now realize my mom has been exposed because she slept here last week before we knew we had them and that we may well need to treat her home 'as if' she has them. And I know what you mean about the plastic bags! I almost never use them, and try to recycle/reuse/donate everything - but in this situation I am of course willing to make an exception. Even on the pesticides, which it seems are necessary in addition to heat treatment.

It sounds like you had the heat treatment. I am eager for any info about this - most importantly, if you have any evidence of bugs since? And also, if you are in the NYC suburbs, would you recommend the company you used? We are planning to do the heat treatment but may not be able to get it done for more than a week. I want to use a company that has a warranty to come back and re-treat for free if it does not work. Also did you treat your car?

I broke our dryer Friday night with all the laundering and a repair guy won't be here until Tuesday. I am stuck in the house with my kids because I don't want to spread this wearing unsafe clothes. Last night was the first night my daughter got any bites, and I am just dreading sleeping in this untreated house as our problem gets worse. The only upside is that we are catching it quit early, and know where it came from (a neighbor kid playing here).

I just ordered one of the hot boxes for treating items that can't go in the dryer. Can't say anything about it yet because I haven't got it but maybe one of those would help you feel better about going to a show? The one I found was on Amazon for about $200. (I'm not in any way affiliated with any of those companies, I just purchased one and am praying it helps us - especially going forward and not spreading anything traveling or visiting loved ones and not bringing anything home with us.)

Thank you for writing and sharing. This is hard!

9. ecrain1957@gmail.com

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 15:51:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm on very limited income and I'm trying to survive on my own. Now I have BB and of course the apartment management has their own exterminator and wanting charge me $1000 to treat. I can't find any relief from this. I have know one to turn to for moral support. No family or friends. I'm am reading all these horror stories and this just freaking me out. I always thought BB was just a saying and not real.. Now I know cause I have them.. 59 and needing help.

10. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 19:20:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi IckIck and ecrain,

I am so sorry you are both going through this too. What an unlikely club to be in huh, but I'm so thankful for the support, it is obviously hard to discuss this with those in my daily life other than family. My husband seems to be taking it in stride but perhaps it's a bit easier for him because he doesn't get bit and also he didn't discover the 'harborage' like I did, I can't get the visual out of my mind!

IckIck, we did do heat treatment but the thing is that when I discovered the bb's I panicked at first. I called a reputable PCO around our area to get a quote and they told me 2400.00 to eradicate. They always use heat and liquid treatments, nothing else. However, This was before I knew much about heat treatment or costs and I nearly choked on the cost. They also had over a two week wait and I couldn't see myself waiting that long with these bugs in here. I made a panic move and called a company called Bed Bugs Etc.... in the city (I'm in Philadelphia area) and they quoted me about 1200 for 3 liquid and dust treatments. they could come out in two days. I had them come. The technician was very very quiet and didn't want to talk to me much about what he found, or seem to know much about bb, though he seemed to do a thorough enough job. He hot steamed all our furniture, and sprayed a number of different pesticides and used delta dust, in my research all the products used seemed in line with what some of top professionals recommend, I just wasn't feeling confident about his expertise in discussing things with me. That treatment was 800.00, (in hindsight perhaps a waste of money, but I can't regret it as it gave me some solace while we searched for PCO that we felt better with). We then went online and after much reading decided to drop the 2400 for heat remediation. We went with a third company that came highly recommended, family owned and our guy is an entomologist and is up on latest BB protocols. About 6 days after that initial treatment, this company came out to heat our home. It was an extensive prep, at least because we wanted to do it right. We bought like 20 or so cheap open air plastic white laundry baskets from Target and netted laundry bags, put all clothes in them loose not packed tight, linens, anything fabric, because in the heating it will get all of that in one shot so you don't have to keep doing dryer. Sometimes the heat can make the bb run for the hills towards walls and baseboards and we have an attached neighbor so it's important your PCO spray and dust PRIOR to heat treating, which they did upon arrival. they had us take off all outlet covers to dust inside those as well. We were gone all day about 8 hours when we came home our thermostat still read 112 degrees. I believe they heated it close to 140 - 150. They found nothing that day on inspection, so the first liquid and steam treatment from the other company I believe was fairly successful, but I wanted peace of mind with the heat. Since then we've seen no bugs. But we had also disposed of our mattress and box spring after that first spray (properly encased and labeled of course). We saw one shell (when they shed themselves) stuck in our headboard after that first treatment, but nothing since the heat. They came out 10 days later (yesterday) to do post heat liquid treatment which again included 3 or 4 different pesticides some of which were different than they used 10 days ago (and I believe this is key to make sure you are getting bugs that are resistant to certain pesticides, that at each 2 week interval they alternate treatments). I don't know where we will go from here, they recommend another treatment in a month and do do a monthly for next 3 months or so. I hate all the chemicals, so we will see what happens. We have active monitors in unoccupied guest room as it was on the other side of wall where our bed was and we have passive monitors (climb ups) on our bed and on our sofa downstairs as I was sleeping there quite a bit when we got the new puppy. Nothing in the traps. I'm so bit up it's hard to tell if I have any new bites, also hard to tell because I feel these random jolts and pin pricks and sensitivities on my skin and wondering if my skin is just more sensitive now or if anyone else experiences them. My scarring is the worst, my skin hyperpigments at the slightest papercut so this has been hard, esp in the summer where none of my shirts or dresses have sleeves. I am cautiously optimistic that we caught it early and have it contained and treated well but not knowing where it came from has me on edge and also that I might have exposed my mom. So far her house checks out on inspection but I feel like we are just part of a waiting game at the moment.

Let me know how the hotbox works for you. I was thinking of getting a Packtite but we are so depleted financially right now. I think of all the things we could've done with our 'bed bug money' and it makes me want to cry. I don't have the funds for another heat remediation so I'm praying we have it under control. If you found a company that you like that has a good warranty and will come out to reheat the house if you find any after, that's great. The ONLY thing I didn't like about our PCO was only 30 day warranty from the first heat treatment. We know with the life cycle of the bug that 30 days is not enough. It should be 90 day minimum I believe, at least 60. I think if push came to shove our guys would do what's right, but it just didn't sit well with me. I am so sorry your dryer broke, we feared that would happen to ours we've been using it so much.

I don't have recommendations for NYC area PCO's but I'm sure in the forums you could find some, this place has been a godsend for info for me, though some of the horror stories haven't been so great for me mentally at the moment which is why I started this thread to share our stories but also try to be supportive and to hope that there is a light at the end of this bb tunnel.

Ecrain, where are you? Depending on what state and city you are in, the landlord may be responsible to pay. Also ifyou're going to pay that much, then you should be able to bring in your own PCO, one that is experienced in bb infestations.

11. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 16:34:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and ick ick. We did have both of our cars treated.....twice. Probably over paranoid but after spending all that money to treat the house we would kick ourselves if it was something from the car!

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 17:55:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Please go to this thread to discuss ecrain's situation.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 22:00:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Cuddlebug,

Thanks so much for your really detailed explanation of how you prepared for the heat treatment. Especially the part about mesh bags and plastic laundry hampers - that's a great tip.

I know what you mean about the money - I got the same $2500 quote to treat the house and can't even think about the equivalent things we could be spending this money on. The heat box I bought was $200 on Amazon and got good enough reviews.

We are going to have to wait almost two weeks to get our heat treatment done.

Do you mind saying how they treated your cars? The pest guy who's helping us says in 100 cases he's seen, he's never seen the cars infested, but there are enough stories here that I feel it's a possibility, and even more so in our case because I helped our neighbors bring three loads of laundry to the local laundromat in the back of my car at some point in the time just before they realized they had an infestation. (Can't believe I did that!! I mean, I'd rather be a helper, but I have never done this before and the timing couldn't have been worse!!) Anyway I'm with you that there is no point to spend the money on the house if there's anything in the car. But I think I may have to find a different company to treat it.

I wanted to go back to your original post saying that you felt like you would always be waiting for them to reemerge. I mean, I relate, because now I know they are out there in my community and are a risk - something I already knew, and took precautions against - and then got them from someone we welcomed into our house. It's hard. But I'm not sure if you've seen this, but there are "success stories" on this site, hundreds of them. I will just add one I know of - my good friend in NYC got them a few years ago - a big infestation when they found them because she had no reaction to the bites. She said the month treating them was one of the most stressful experiences of her life, but that since then, she's been totally fine. She isn't paranoid except for saying she would never have a mattress that didn't have a bed bug cover on it. Anyway, she's living her life in the city. Unlike now, when we are consumed with this, I hope and believe we will get to a point where we are prudent and aware but not nearly as focused on this as we are/need to be right now.

Good luck, I hope you have a tranquil night.

14. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 15:18:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Ick Ick,

I am hoping you had as traquil of a night as you could as well. On one hand life is moving forward over here, and when I distract myself I'm ok for a bit, then I ccome home and look at the bags of laundry still to go through (as a precaution after heat remediation, they do ask to dry everything again) and my once beautiful things like my headboard or duvet cover that I feel I will never be able to utilize again. I know that in time we will be comfortable with that again but for now we a living with a bed on a metal frame isolated from teh wall with climb ups on the feet and a small blanket for warmth, so it doesn't hang over the bed. it would almost be laughable if it weren't so sad. I can only imagine how you feel knowing you got them from someone you invited into your home and that they are out there in your community, and it just cuts to the core of our trust and feeling of security. In some weird way these little bugs just have me feeling unsafe and I don't know what it is about them that does it. On a positive note it's great that you know the source and know that once you get treated you won't reinfest yourself from that source. We had so many variables at play during that time that I'm wracking my brain trying to solve a puzzle that is unsolvable but right now I'm less obsessed with will we ever eradicate them, than I am with the question of if we do, are we just going to bring them back from the source we got them from (Ie a place we go all the time?). I'm most terrified we gave them to my mom. she broke out in bites / hives about two weeks after she spent the night here at our home. She is highly allergic to everything so they were bad, though didn't look at all like mine, but I know everyone reacts differently. Were they from our home? Was it a totally different rash all together? We don't know. They have healed and she isn't getting any more. Active and passive traps around her home show nothing and the visual inspection PCO did of her home is clean so far, but I'm a mess about it on the inside. I want a bb sniffing dog to go in, but she is being resistant, has nosy neighbors and is worried what everyone will think. I love hanging out at my mom'sand now just feel afraid to.

In terms of the cars the first guy treated with steam heat and spraying, second time just spraying. I know a lot of companies won't spray the chemicals in teh cars? I don't know if it was the right thing to do as I got a lot of headaches and dizziness in the car the first few days after treatment, but it's leveling out now. When I have some time I also just plan on taking them for a good washing and detailing. Add that to the ever growing list of things to do and pay for because of bb's As of now I'm still set to go to NYC tomorrow and between the bus trip up and the theatre seats, I'm having a bit of a panic, but I don't want to let my mom down who's been waiting to go so wish me luck. Perhaps I'll just walk around with one of those plastic ponchos on all day
    Hope today is better for you and that you've found a PCO you trust and can get out soon to help you. You'll feel a lot better when that starts happening.

15. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 22:15:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey sunnydaz and ick ick. Just checking in to see how you're holding up. Stressful day in manhatten today but I made it. Mom's house checked out clean on visual inspection and k9 inspection so that's positive. At least I can eat knowing they aren't in my mothers home. Still struggling a bit in my own but one bb less day at a time over here

16. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 7:29:05
    #

Login to Send PM

That should say at least I can sleep :). Not eat.

17. Sunnydaz

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 10:38:44
    #

Login to Send PM

HI CuddleBug,
    Feeling good today! It's a day to day thing. My son had another bite a few days ago, but still no evidence in his room. Pco came out and checked again, he didn't find anything. We are so fortunate to have found him. He wants us to have peace of mind and does everything possible to help. He's starting to feel like a friend. Lol! So until I see anymore evidence I'm going to assume new bites are something else. Just happens to be the buggy time of the year. Ugh!
    That's great about your moms house! My daughter will be getting her house checked next week. I look forward to getting that peace of mind as well. Although I'm sure we would know by now. I still need it verified.
    After Pco came out yesterday I'm starting to consider putting my clothes back in my room. Where are you with that? Are you living out of bags? I feel like once I can get my living situation back to normal my mental situation will follow.
    Hope we all have a happy bb free day! πŸ™‚

18. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 13:30:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi sunnydaz,

So glad you were having a good day. I'm hoping more good days continue. It's day to day for me. I think mentally it's harder for me than my husband because he doesn't have bites and I have so many and they don't seem to be healing very fast. It's hard not to be paranoid when I can't even tell if I have new bites really. I believe my skin is very sensitive and so while the bbs may be gone my skin is still itching and crawling and reacting could also be to the chemicals and in fairness to all the cosmetic products I've put on it hoping to help the scarring so I'm trying to keep as calm as I can about it. It's funny you ask about the clothes. Everything has Been washed dried and put in bags and then bins. It's week 3 now living out of bins. We've had the heat and two liquid treatments and they say it's safe to put our clothes back but the closest I've gotten is putting appropriate bins I. Their respective rooms. I may attempt to unpack the rooms that didn't have signs of bbs this weekend and I know it's mental but I feel like I. Wed to wait until our third and hopefully final treatment in two weeks. I also do t feel comfortable putting our beautiful and fairly new headboard back on now or maybe ever? Am I being ridiculous? How about you? Have you Unpacked everything yet? I'm down to two showers a day but I live close to my office and do spilt days sometimes. It's been crazy going home stripping down and drying my outfit just to put it back on and go back to work but as I work in healthcare it's a precaution I'm taking for now. I survived a trip to manhattan the bb capital so I guess that's a start :). Hope things co tinue to get better for both of us.

19. Sunnydaz

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 9:53:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi CuddleBug,
    I haven't been able to unpack. I think about it daily but I just don't feel comfortable yet. My husband is more at ease with all his and is ready to unpack. I'm afraid if I do it too soon. I'll end up drying everything all over again. I also have things put in our attic space that we don't use often, such as winter clothes, extra bedding and towels. I'm worried about bring all that down and the chance of a stray bb hiding out. So I'm not sure when I'll ever get to those things.
    As far as our bed. We actually threw away the entire bed. Maybe not completely needed but mattress and box spring was 10 years old. We decide to upgrade to a king size. The headboard was still nice but I couldn't feel comfortable keeping it or donating it so out with the trash.
    We are on 10 days of not seeing a bb and 5 days of no bites. As I write that I realize it hasn't really been that long. It feels like it is so much longer. I will be holding off on the unpacking.
    I hope your bites are starting to heal. Have you seen a doctor? Maybe they could help with the healing. I'm sure looking at the bites everyday is hard. I hate seeing the bites on my son. The last ones are starting to heal. As you, he seems to have a strong reaction and healing is slow. He has about 5 left that are visible.
    As far your as extra precaution, I feel like you should do what makes you feel like comfortable for now. I feel like the anxiety of not doing the extra precautions is to much on top of everything else right now. There will come a time when we will need to move forward and relax somewhat. I'm just not ready yet. Do what makes you comfortable is. Hope you are doing well!

Edit:
    Need to correct the number of days since last seeing live bb. It's been 31 days! Much better than 10 days. I was surprised when I wrote that and still thinking about it after I posted. I checked my notes and I was totally off. I'm not sure what I was thinking. My days have been blending into each other. So much better. Now maybe I will rethink the unpacking. Lol!

20. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 14:28:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Ecrain--every state has tenant-landlord laws. Do a little research online to see if your landlord is liable for treating any pests in your apartment.

21. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 19:16:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Ick Ick, been wondering how you're holding up?

Sunnydaz,

Congrats on 31 days!! That's great and I'm going to think really positive thoughts for you. Today marks 20 for us without seeing a live bug, we saw one dead one on day 2 after first treatment and a shed skin around then too on our headboard. I compromised today and unpacked my hanging clothes in my closet (which is not in our bedroom (otherwise known as ground zero) in the guest room (we have an old house and closets are small) since the bb's were localized to our bedroom I felt ok unpacking in the guest room closet. My dresser stuff is still in bags in bins in the guest room, maybe by Sept I'll feel ok putting it in my drawers in the bedroom. Can I ask how often you are laundering your sheets? Right now we are still doing every day, swapping out with two other sets that we keep rotating, but it's getting exhausting cleaning sheets every day to two days. Towels and blankets we are just throwing in dryer but sheets I'm doing a whole wash. Also have you put bedding back on your bed? We have isolated the bed with climb up interceptors and I understand having any bedding that hangs off the bed defeats that method of detection so right now we have one tiny blanket each on a bare bed, on metal frame with no headboard :(. I am looking into David Cain's passive monitor in place of the climb up interceptors in which case I believe we could go back to putting some bedding on eventually and also it's a little more inconspicuous than the climb ups which we also have on our sofa, when people walk into our house it screams we have bb's so I put a passive monitor on the sofa as well and will remove the climb ups. Curious if you all are using any kind of detection systems, and if so what, so many conflicting opinions out there. Also have you encased your beds and box springs?

Sunny we threw away our bed and box spring as well, perhaps a novice move and a shame since we just bought the very expensive mattress last year when we bought the house but mentally I just couldn't at the time. In hindsight, I should've encased and kept the mattress. We replaced it with something much more reasonably priced but my back is cursing me right about now for sure. I am hoping your son's bites heal up soon, I'm sure it's so hard to know he was getting bit. I did see my primary doc who gave me some cream for the itch and some anti anxiety meds for when the anxiety gets the best of me. She thinks my skin is having some kind of additional stress reaction so the less I can stress the better. Anyway I am so glad things seem to be going well for you, please keep me posted!

22. Sunnydaz

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 20:22:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Cuddlebug,
    I bet it felt good to put some of you clothes back in their place. I did put some of my clothes in our guest room, but that's not where they normally go and I feel the need to dry them if I wear them even though there has been no signs in that room.
    We did encase all the mattresses and box springs in the house. I have climb ups on my bed and passive monitor on my sons bed. The legs are big and I couldn't find clumbups to fits is bed. Plus he wouldnt think about letting his blanket hit the floor. I haven't put much bedding back on yet. Just a sheet and one thin blanket. I have been washing the bedding about every three days. Maybe passive monitors would be the better way to go. As you said, you could but all the bedding back on. I just hated the thought of bedbugs on my new bed. It is so confusing trying to figure out what is best.
    I'm sorry you're not liking your new mattress. It's a shame you had to get rid of one that you paid good money for. All together we tossed our bed, sofa, sons recliner and a bunch of clothes. None of it bothered me except my sons chair. That was newer and he enjoyed it. I got him a blowup chair for now. I'll get him something better once I'm sure bugs are gone. We hadn't seen any bugs in the sofa but I ordered a new one before I knew we even had bedbugs. I hated to bring it into our house once I knew. I won't let anyone sit on it for now. Lol! I know what you mean about the clumbups screaming I have bedbugs. It's so embarrassing! I cant remember. Did you only find the bedbugs in your bedroom? We only found them alive in our master, two dead in my sons room. I think his recliner had a few. It seems he was getting his bites while sitting there. It was treated but he just continued to get bites. So many hiding spots in a recliner.
    20 days is great! I hope you are starting to feel more comfortable. I know it's day to day but things are looking good for both of us!

23. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 20:40:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Sunny,

We did only find bb's in our master bedroom, I found the harborage on the boxspring and it's an image I hope will be distant at some point. We found one dead one next to the sofa the day after our first liquid treatment, but in all honestly it couldn't fallen off of the mattress / box spring that my dad and husband trekked downstairs, it was encased in plastic casing (cheap one, didn't wan tot spend 90 to throw something out) and it had been treated and labeled and was being taken to a dump but it was heavy and my dad drug it a bit and there was a tear so that dead guy could've fallen off onto the floor. Would love if that were the case but I'm paranoid they were in the sofa, especially as I was sleeping down thre a lot withe the new puppy after we first got him April/ May. The PCO found no traces in the sofa and it's been treated to death with steamer, liquid and heat remediation but I still get weird sitting on it. It's less than a year old so we are trying not to get rid of it. We have one more treatment in two weeks and then end of Aug we are going to have the dog come in and sniff. I think at that point if all is clear I can finally put my clothes away

24. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 0:24:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Cuddlebug920,

Thanks for checking on me. I haven't been on the forum in a few days because I've been so busy with the laundry and cleaning! My kids have been watching so much TV and also driving each other crazy while I clean and it's a lot to get everybody showered and dressed to go to camp and then come back and clean and then shower and dress again - I think only folks who have been through this have the slightest clue how much work this all is. Who could imagine?!

But you know I am trying to see the silver lining in this, and truthfully, I have been wanting to go through the house and declutter and organize for a while (I'm not a hoarder, but after nine years of living in this house, I have accumulated a lot of stuff and not dealt with a lot of things). Now that I am doing the work, I see that while I had wished for a few long days to go through everything, there is no way I would have ever allowed myself as much time as I am taking now and really need to deal with everything. The only reason I am not taking my kids to the pool or to do things with friends is because we are more or less quarantined while we wait for treatment. There is no way I would ever let my kids watch as much TV as they are if we were not in this situation. So I have weirdly been given this gift of the time and the mandate and the deadline to do it, and I just keep reminding myself of that as I put things in garbage bags and carry laundry up and down flights of stairs. And I am grateful for our washer and dryer, and our house. I am obviously not able to donate items at the moment, but I'm surprised at how many things really are ready for the trash or recycling bins (old cans of paint with only a bit left in them, just for starters in the basement!) And the rest of the stuff I am organizing and cleaning- trying to get the house in good shape.

I had a list of things to do to prepare the house (the switch plates, candles and crayons, etc) - but I watched a video from some company about how to prepare for a heat treatment and it was much more thorough and a lot more work. It made me realize I really can't have stacks of paper anywhere because they will be blown around by the fans. When the PCO came he made it sound like I really wouldn't have to do any prep and that my house was in good shape and now I know that's not really the case.

We will not have our heat treatment until Friday. This waiting also gave me time to worry about and research the pesticides they use to pre- and post-treat along with the heat. I would prefer not to use pesticides at all. But of course I want our treatment to be effective. But the pesticide they use contains something that is a known human carcinogen - and indoor pesticide use can be linked in some cases to increased incidence of cancer in kids. But at the same time the PCO says it's safe and it is approved by the EPA. So I asked a lot of questions and also asked a friend who is a scientist and also wary of indoor pesticide use for her opinion. It sounds like the chemicals my PCO uses would dissipate after a couple of weeks, but one would stay on the floor longer before it degrades and then you have to be wary of kids playing on the floor and touching it and putting their hands in their mouths, and same for the dog. I am going to make a few more calls tomorrow before I decide what to do. I asked if they could dust Cimexa, which I would feel comfortable with, but they don't use that product. I asked why not, and they said, because the products we use work well for us.

In the meantime, the bugs have now spread to our third bedroom. I only know this because my daughter woke up with a bite there this morning - I have not seen any evidence of the bugs around our beds at all. We have big cracks in the floors around the baseboard and I assume this is an easy hiding spot, but I also assume we are dealing with hard-to-see nymphs. We are sleeping in long sleeves, long pants, and socks - did I get that great tip from you, Cuddlebug920? It really helps. So my bites have been on my hands, and last night, on my neck. I keep hoping one won't be on my face but not the end of the world if that happens. They are itchy but not horribly so for me. My daughter has visible red marks but doesn't itch. Only one or two each night for me. Which I assume means multiple bugs because the same one would not bite every night, but I really don't know. The PCO guys say, we can't know how many are in your house, but I feel like I do know it's not hundreds. We just haven't had them for that long and we have only been getting bitten for ten days. So I know it's a new infestation that began recently with at most a few bugs.

I did use the hotbox - it is a Thermal Ranger - to heat my mom's suitcase before she traveled. I could not figure out how to put the thermometer into the center and they have not responded to my email asking for support, and nothing on their website or in the manual talks about this. But it ran for two hours, which is what they recommend for an empty suitcase, and all seemed fine with how it functioned.

We are supposed to travel a few days after the heat treatment so I am a little nervous about this because of the work involved. It will be after the heat and right after the pesticide treatment if I go that route - which is cutting it close. So I am going to treat everything we are taking with us in the hotbox.

I still also need more info about the cars - our PCO does not treat cars. As a starting point I am planning to get ours cleaned with compressed air and shampoo because it has lots of crumbs from the kids. It would make sense to steam after this but I need to either find a place that does it or rent a steamer.

My mom is away - I am still very nervous about her house. And I would love to go out to meet friends later this week but I cannot have a sitter over nor would I feel comfortable asking someone else to take them and risk getting bed bugs. I also thought about staying in a hotel - with a sitter and especially the day the heat treatment is done - but I know we could actually pick them up at the hotel! And of course the expense!

I did not mean to write so much but just wanted to give the update. It's good to hear from someone who is ahead of me in the process so I know some of what to expect. I hope you had a great time in NYC (did you see a good show?) and that your bites are healing. I wish you could know what your source was so that you could have greater peace of mind and less anxiety about getting them again. I am wondering if you could ask the rescue for any record that your dog was groomed after leaving its previous owner's house? And the hot box is definitely not a quick or easy solution (2 hours minimum treatment time, with a max of 8 hours) - wish it could just zap the bag quickly so that it would be feasible to do a handbag every day, for instance - but still I think it will be help me with feeling anxious going forward (we'll see!) Sunnydaz, I'm also so glad to hear that your treatment has been working.

Good night everyone!

25. Sunnydaz

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 7:27:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi IckIck,
    Thank you. I'm starting to feel hopeful. Looks like you've got a good handle on things. I agree with you about the clutter. We've only been in our house two years and I'm amazed at how much useless thing we accumulate. So I guess there are positives to bed bugs. Good luck on your treatment Friday!

26. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 16:53:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Cuddlebug and Sunnydaz,

I have a question that I thought of after reading your posts. You said you have not put your clothes or other stuff away. We are getting whole-house heat treatment and I know that we have to have the clothes (and other stuff? I'm not sure about things like utensils, stationary...) out of the drawers and the drawers left open. What is your reason for not putting everything back in the drawers once the treatment has been done? I know it's different protocol for heat vs pesticide-only, but I guess I am a little confused.

Today I am definitely overwhelmed by all the work and still have a lot to do before Friday. I'm still confused about what to do with things like my guitar that can't be in the house or put in the hotbox. Same with CDs, there are differing opinions on this site. Also my laptop. Just so many details to keep track of.

Also feeling slightly anxious about spreading our bugs to anyone - I have to go look in on a cat this week - I told the family and they said it's ok, just take precautions (quick visit, no sitting, no shoes or purse) - but it still makes me nervous. I got two bites last night, thankfully they are not too itchy, but I am looking forward to our house treated and going on vacation and hopefully returning to a bedbug-free house.

Ok, going to try to stay positive. I have made a lot of progress and just need to keep at it.

27. Sunnydaz

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 19:52:33
    #

Login to Send PM

IckIck,
    I didn't get the heat treatment. So I won't be able to offer any help with that. My Pco came on a Tuesday and we did the first treatment Thursday. So I only had one day to prepare. Most of the focus was on my master bedroom since that was the only place we found bugs. I washed and, or dryed all clothes, bedding and placed in bags. I haven't put clothes back yet because I'm not completely comfortable wearing my clothes to other places without fear of caring bed bugs. I also don't want to dry all my clothes again if I see another live bed bug.
    I wish I could offer you more help with things like your guitar but I guess the heat preparation is a lot different. Can you ask your Pco exactly what they want you do with everything?
    I was, and still do worry about taking bedbugs to others also. I always run my clothes in the dryer before walking out.
    I know it's so overwhelming right now. Staying positive is so hard. You're earning that vacation!

Cuddlebug, I hope things are going well for you.

28. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 22:05:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Ick Ick,

We did the heat treatment and even had two liquids post heat already. While they said we are fine to put our clothes back in the drawers / closets, it's really just my own anxiety. My husband has put his stuff back. I feel like sometimes per too much reading on these forums probably, people don't have 100% success from heat (which is why they do the follow up treatments) and while the reality is they weren't in my dresser, I just can't bear the thought of taking everything out, bagging it up, re washing it, etc, in the event there were any stragglers, etc, so I'm waiting till after teh last post heat treatment, next weekend and when I'm at the 60 day mark. I prob wouldn't wait that long if I was totally living out of bins and bags, but I have been able to unpack enough stuff in our unaffected guest room drawers and closet and am just dressing and living out of there for now. I know it's the anxiety talking so if you're not as anxious you are fine to put your things back, at least our PCO said it was totally fine after heat treatment.

You also make a good point, I am trying to see the meaning in this too as far as the decluttering and minimizing goes, although to be honest this is our first home after being city dwellers living in small apartments so we were pretty good at not having too much stuff, so part of it is hard, having to part with things I loves. The heat remediation did cause some damage to our home, melted paint off our stair banister, broken door frame to our bedroom, ruined a one of a kind mirror I loved, and destroyed my favorite high heels (melted the sole right off), so that was a bummer, but a small price to pay for some peace of mind. All of those things are replaceable, which is more than I can say for my sanity these days I also understand the paranoia of going out anywhere. The day they did our thermal treatment they treated our cars so we couldn't use them, we ubered to rental car place, the car was just in fromNYC and clearly hadn't been cleaned, I was freaked all day that we were spending all this money only to bring them in from an uber or a rental car, but you know what we drove that car to the beach and tried (key word 'tried') to relax as there was nothing else we could do all day. If you can try to go out and do something mindless or fun, when you come back it will still be a sauna!

I also hear you about the chemicals, right now my skin is so reactive an sensitive I half wonder if that's also irritating me. I will say I had the worse experience with the chemicals in the car, even after a day, headaches galore driving that thing so if you get the cars treated, air them out really well. Another thing you can do is buy Nuvan strips (which snap into a plastic hanging thing) and hang it in your car when you're not in it. I do that and when I get in I put it in a ziploc in a tupperware container in my glovebox).

As for laptop and phone I left those in the house for heat remediation and they were fine, talk to your PCO about it.

Good luck, keep up posted, you will feel much better once it's done, trust me. Hope both you and Sunnydaze had an ok weekend!

29. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 18 2017 14:17:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Sunnydaz for explaining why you've got clothes in bags still. I can't believe you only had a day to prepare!!! And wow, Cuddlebug, thanks again for your detailed description. I so appreciate both of your explanations of what you've done and gone through.

I am actually shocked to hear about the damage to your place. I agree it's worth it for peace of mind, but it's a shame you lost some of your favorite things. I have only yesterday received the prep sheet from our PCO, and the list is sobering. Here I thought I was getting everything in the house in order but it sounds like it will be a mess when they are done. I'm having second thoughts, like maybe whole-house heat is overkill, but on the other hand, I don't have it in me to undertake a long and potentially losing battle with bed bugs, and I am getting bitten once or twice every night. I have done so much work already but I am going to have to work like a mad woman for the next two and a half days to prepare the house in a way that prevents the least amount of damage and upheaval. Will just keep focused on the knowledge that I will feel much better when I know the bugs are gone and this is over.

I don't know anything about the Nuvan strips, but can you really use them in your car that much? I would definitely careful about chemicals if you are having skin reactions - sometimes it's just a matter of system overload.

Cuddlebug and Sunnydaz, are you still BB-free?

30. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 18 2017 22:32:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Cuddlebug920, I hope you will not mind this expression of concern. I was just reading about Nuvan treatment in the car and read something that said you should air out the car for several hours after using a Nuvan strip in it. You may be doing that already, or maybe your PCO gave you different information about how to use it, I couldn't tell from your post. Just wanting you to stay safe It's so hard when we are having to get such a quick primer on these bugs and complicated treatments.

31. Sunnydaz

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 19 2017 18:09:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi IckIck,
    Happy to say we are still bed bug free! I'm staring to feel normal again. It's amazing. I still have my things in bags. I think by next week I will feel more confident about putting things back. One reason the delay is next week we are getting new carpet in the bedrooms. Not really because of bed bugs. It needed to be done so this just help push it. I kind of like the idea of refreshing the house so we just went for it. We actually got a couple of other projects finished that were not bed bug related but since we were doing one thing lead to another. So I guess that's a positive from this bug mess. I think once all that is done we will feel normal again.
    I'm hoping by this time next week you are feeling the turn around!

Hope all is well with you Cuddlebug.

32. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 19 2017 20:45:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Ick Ick and Sunny,

Sorry to report I'm having a bit of an 'off' day today. I've been living life as 'normal' as can be and trying to stay focuses and positive that things are getting back to normal. Even took half day off yesterday and went to the pool with my mom but today just Feeling really overwhelmed and down about it all. Ick Ick, we are technically still bb free in the sense that we haven't seen a live bug since June 24th ish, however I am still getting bit. I've read on here how some people have "bite" reactions and these aren't new bites or they are reactions to chemicals or the old bb bites flaring up and I know all the pros on here stress that you can't diagnose active bb's on bites alone, but honestly this line of thinking is frustrating because I feel like in my head I'm telling myself I'm crazy and these aren't actual bites but something else and it's just my stress and anxiety and today I finally looked in the mirror and said to myself, I'm not nuts, I know my body and these are actual bites. If it looks like a bb bite, talks like a bb bite, walks like a bb bite and FEELS like a bb bite, it is. They are on my back and chest and while they aren't nearly as many as before, it's starting to feel unbearable especially as my old bites do get red and swell / flare, the itching can flare and bites that are scabbed up aren't healing very fast if at all and it's been just over 3 weeks. It's summertime and it's hard not to feel self concious as they are all over myupper arms and back, I want to swim and wear tank tops and feel generally decent about myself, but even when it's over, the scars are bad and will stay bad, as my skin is olive and hyperpigments very easily. I also work in the wellness/ alternative healthcare field and have a lot of higher profile clients.......and I have to have a certain appearance of health, this has been so hard to manage with work. Not to mention how stressed out I am that I might have picked it up there, but I cannot tell my boss, I will never work again. I have secretly put in some passive traps and thought about having my PCO's go over and do an inspection on a weekend, but haven't gotten there yet.

I know in reality even if there were a few stragglers after the (very expensive) heat treatment, that we are still on the road to recovery, they are coming out this weekend to treat again as part of post heat, but the routine the changing and showering multiple times a day, the drying (our electric bill was almost 300.00 and water 100.00) , the trash bags, the ziploc bags, the alcohol spraying the living out of bins and bags and yet still feeling like you're not doing enough or not doing things right and just failing.......it's just getting to me and getting me down tonight. My husband of course not a scratch on him. It's so crazy! On top of it I just want to relax and take a nap or watch a tv show but I'm scared of the bed and the sofa (we found one dead bb after teh first tx downstairs by our brand new sofa) and now I'm paranoid to sit on it, even though everyone says there was nothing else found, but our bed is completely isolated now so I'm not entirely sure the bites aren't coming from the sofa. My new evening hangout spot is siting at the kitchen table in a long t shirt and underwear simply because I don't want to wash and dry another pair of pants

Maybe I am crazy and maybe these bites are just a stress reaction, but I'll just fell better when they stop.

Ick Ick, thanks for the info about the Nuvan strips that's great to know and Sunny I'm so glad things are looking up for you. Have either of you experienced more bites or your kids? I'm hoping not. Our PCO will come out again this Saturday so I'm looking forward to getting some reassurance, however not looking forward to more chemicals. we are going to treat once more in August after this and then have the bb dog come in 30 days later, in Sept to hopefully give us a final clear. Please keep fingers crossed, say prayers, send good thoughts or whatever it is you guys do for us and we will be doing the same for you. Keep me posted and good luck on Friday Ick Ick!

33. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 19 2017 20:45:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Ick Ick and Sunny,

Sorry to report I'm having a bit of an 'off' day today. I've been living life as 'normal' as can be and trying to stay focuses and positive that things are getting back to normal. Even took half day off yesterday and went to the pool with my mom but today just Feeling really overwhelmed and down about it all. Ick Ick, we are technically still bb free in the sense that we haven't seen a live bug since June 24th ish, however I am still getting bit. I've read on here how some people have "bite" reactions and these aren't new bites or they are reactions to chemicals or the old bb bites flaring up and I know all the pros on here stress that you can't diagnose active bb's on bites alone, but honestly this line of thinking is frustrating because I feel like in my head I'm telling myself I'm crazy and these aren't actual bites but something else and it's just my stress and anxiety and today I finally looked in the mirror and said to myself, I'm not nuts, I know my body and these are actual bites. If it looks like a bb bite, talks like a bb bite, walks like a bb bite and FEELS like a bb bite, it is. They are on my back and chest and while they aren't nearly as many as before, it's starting to feel unbearable especially as my old bites do get red and swell / flare, the itching can flare and bites that are scabbed up aren't healing very fast if at all and it's been just over 3 weeks. It's summertime and it's hard not to feel self concious as they are all over myupper arms and back, I want to swim and wear tank tops and feel generally decent about myself, but even when it's over, the scars are bad and will stay bad, as my skin is olive and hyperpigments very easily. I also work in the wellness/ alternative healthcare field and have a lot of higher profile clients.......and I have to have a certain appearance of health, this has been so hard to manage with work. Not to mention how stressed out I am that I might have picked it up there, but I cannot tell my boss, I will never work again. I have secretly put in some passive traps and thought about having my PCO's go over and do an inspection on a weekend, but haven't gotten there yet.

I know in reality even if there were a few stragglers after the (very expensive) heat treatment, that we are still on the road to recovery, they are coming out this weekend to treat again as part of post heat, but the routine the changing and showering multiple times a day, the drying (our electric bill was almost 300.00 and water 100.00) , the trash bags, the ziploc bags, the alcohol spraying the living out of bins and bags and yet still feeling like you're not doing enough or not doing things right and just failing.......it's just getting to me and getting me down tonight. My husband of course not a scratch on him. It's so crazy! On top of it I just want to relax and take a nap or watch a tv show but I'm scared of the bed and the sofa (we found one dead bb after teh first tx downstairs by our brand new sofa) and now I'm paranoid to sit on it, even though everyone says there was nothing else found, but our bed is completely isolated now so I'm not entirely sure the bites aren't coming from the sofa. My new evening hangout spot is siting at the kitchen table in a long t shirt and underwear simply because I don't want to wash and dry another pair of pants

Maybe I am crazy and maybe these bites are just a stress reaction, but I'll just fell better when they stop.

Ick Ick, thanks for the info about the Nuvan strips that's great to know and Sunny I'm so glad things are looking up for you. Have either of you experienced more bites or your kids? I'm hoping not. Our PCO will come out again this Saturday so I'm looking forward to getting some reassurance, however not looking forward to more chemicals. we are going to treat once more in August after this and then have the bb dog come in 30 days later, in Sept to hopefully give us a final clear. Please keep fingers crossed, say prayers, send good thoughts or whatever it is you guys do for us and we will be doing the same for you. Keep me posted and good luck on Friday Ick Ick!

34. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 19 2017 20:52:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and Ick Ick, hope prep is going ok. It's a lot. We only had a few days to prepare and were up till 2am a few nights. Like we were in college again pulling some all nighters, but not at all in a fun way You will walk back into a furnace and your house may look like a tornado hit it, but you WILL feel so much better and in a few weeks, things will start getting back to their places, laundry will become less overwhelming and you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel. I do see one, just wish I wasn't being made a meal out of in the meantime

35. Sunnydaz

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 19 2017 21:34:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Cuddlebug,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your day. I understand it completely. My sons bites started after our first treatment and we could only find two dead in his room. Nothing else. I don't think our Pco thought it was bed bug bites and my husband had his doubts. His are still healing and occasionally I will find a red spot but nothing I can say for sure is a bite. They are not obvious bites as they were before. So I am still hopeful.
    I'm thinking about having a dog come out. Is that an additional cost or included with your treatment? I talked with one and it would be $190. That's not too bad if it would give me peace of mind. Just not sure if it really would.
    I will say prayers for both of you!

36. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 19 2017 22:34:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I just want to say that I am really so grateful to you both for sharing your experiences and support on here. What a thing to be going through!

Sunnydaz, it's so good to hear that you're feeling good and your message that things will get better! I can totally see how doing work on one thing in the house led you to wanting to refresh your carpets. That will feel great, I'm sure. Thanks for pulling for me with the prep and treatment.

Cuddlebug, I'm so sorry you had a hard day. Absolutely sending good thoughts and will be praying for you. I know exactly what you mean with all the laundry and the anxiety about taking precautions and I identify so much with feeling like you can't sit down anywhere on the bed or sofa to just relax! Just when you need it the most!

I can also relate to trying to disguise bites - I have several big bites on my neck and when I'm out I am constantly pulling my hair forward to cover them. I thought you were the person who recommended wearing long pants and long sleeve shirts and socks to sleep in, but if you aren't doing that already, you might try it. They can't bite through the cloth so stick to neck and hands although it sounds like given your job that may not be preferable. (I'm afraid if I do a turtleneck I'll have a bite on my face.) The bites are really hard to take. Last night I went to bed telling myself, only three more nights of this, but I felt like I was really going to lose it.

And it must be maddening to be still getting bites after heat and several chemical treatments. It is reassuring to hear you are feeling things getting better in spite of it and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I do definitely have faith that they can be eradicated for good.

It is very hard to feel anxious about these critters and not be able to see them. I only found one dead bug in my initial search two weeks ago and have not been able to find any evidence of them in over a week - until this morning, ugh. I did not get any new bites last night but at 7 am when I woke up, I saw an adult bug crawling up the curtain!! I was very surprised, because I thought it must be nymphs biting me. And I never expected to see a live one in daylight. It sent me down a little spiral of shock - I still can't believe we actually got bed bugs.

Sunnydaz, I am not sure about the dogs. Though they are very good in lab tests, I have read they are not as accurate at detection in a real-world setting. That said, I may use one as well to assess the situation at my mother's house - though first we will try a passive monitor.

Cuddlebug, that's stressful that you suspect you may have gotten them at work. Good for you on placing some passive monitors!

Prayers and good wishes and deep gratitude to you both.

37. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 21 2017 13:38:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Ick ick. Today is the day. I'm thinking good thoughts for you. Let us know how it goes. Sunnydaz are things still going well for you guys? I hope so. Update on my end. My skin is still a total mess but on a positive front it's such a mess as in randomly broke out in hives last night out of nowhere welts that itches like crazy that I can't be convinced it's the bb as this is such a different reaction than I had in he beginning to the bites. I have an appointment with dermatologist which I think sunny suggested so thanks for promoting me and I'm hoping I'm just hyper reacting to everything and when treatment and spraying stop it will get better. We still haven't seen one sign of anything since heat and liquid treatment so that's good. Just always feel like waiting for other show to drop though. We are almost at 30 days think I'll feel better at 60 and after a dog sniff. I've hear mixed reviews on dogs accuracy as well but it's another tool in the toolbox along with visual inspection from PCO. We have a handler from New Jersey we really like she and her dog have been doing it a long time now. Anyway please keep me posted on how you're both doing. As one of you said. I still can't believe we got bed bugs

38. Sunnydaz

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 21 2017 14:21:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been thinking about you all day IckIck! Today will be your turn around day.

Cuddlebug, it's funny you say that about going to a dermatologist. I was just thinking last nigh that there is more going on with my sons skin then bedbugs. He still getting spot although less than before and the previous ones were clearly bug bits. Maybe I'm just noticing it more because I'm always checking. I'm thinking I should schedule him an appointment also.

Ladies, I'm so sorry. I was off on both of my bug free day count. We are actually at day 27 since seeing a live bug. I have no idea what I was thinking on the my post a while back. I tell ya this is been an exhausting summer! My son graduated from school the same week we discovered the bedbugs. He has severe nonverbal autism. So the adjustment to having him without his normal structure on top of bedbugs has been a nightmare. Thankfully he just starting a wonderful new day program for adults this week. With the bedbug situation seeming to be getting better and him having a daily routine I'm finally able to breath again!
    Thinking of you both.

39. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 22 2017 11:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Sunnydaz and Cuddlebug, thank you for thinking of me and your support here - I'm still so grateful

So yes, yesterday was the day for our heat treatment. Short version: I think it went as well as it could. It's hard to celebrate something like this, but you know, it's better than the alternative I heard a quote from a Buddhist thinker, that when you have a toothache, you know that happiness is not having a toothache. Pretty sure you can substitute bed bugs in there and it could be a slogan for this forum

I was so tired from all the prep, and just really on edge in the morning as we did our shower/bagged clothes routine and getting the kids to camp while signing the papers with the PCO and just praying that all would go well with getting rid of the bugs and not having too much damage in the house.

I was feeling so depressed that I worked so hard to declutter and get the house in order and that the heat guys were going to tear the house apart. Very sleep-deprived, as I've only been getting about five hours a night for the past two weeks, not enough for me. My friend sent me a text message which she meant to be encouraging, saying, send me pictures when you've put the house back together!, and I think she was saying, your house will be so nice since you've gone through everything and can only put back what you need/use/love, but I just felt like, I never want to touch another thing in my house ever again. Like I wish I had a fitbit to track only my arm movements so that I could actually starting counting how many thousands of things there are that I will have to put back, every shirt, every pillow, etc. Obviously this is a case for being more of a minimalist, but that's just not me.

But ok, fast forward: I think the treatment went very well. I had kept the live bug I caught the other day in a ziplock baggie, and it was dead when I got home. The heat guys were nice. They did move things around and leave all the mattresses and couches standing on their sides, and dumped the clothes out of laundry hampers (mainly the plastic ones, not the mesh pop-up bags). But thanks to you, Cuddlebug, I was prepared for that. Honestly they really don't tell you what you're in for, I don't think I could have imagined any of this. I thought they would just leave everything as is and heat up the house.

So far I don't see any real damage though, which is a big relief.

They started at 9 am and were done at 4 pm and I was able to go into the house and open the windows. The house was still too hot (really like a sauna) at 8 pm though. I had to get my kids to bed and just felt like I really needed a break or I was going to completely lose it, so I got only a few clothes from the house and we went to a local hotel. I did not want to spend the money, this whole thing has been so expensive, but it was worth it. I told the guy at the desk that we had just been treated for BBs and were not bringing them in and that he should give me a room he was sure did not have them so we do not bring them home. But even so I am going to put all our things in the dryer and hot box when we get home. And I did check the bed at the hotel for any signs of them.

But you are right, even though the house is a mess, it did feel really good to be in there and to know - or feel like - there are no bugs in the house, and that our clothes are not contaminated, etc. I guess I will have some anxiety going forward that there could be stragglers, but they are going to do a post-treatment with pesticides around the baseboards on Monday and I am quite optimistic that we will have got them in this one big swoop.

And we all got a good nights' sleep last night. So even though I am not at all looking forward to tackling the work of putting things back together, I am somewhat recharged and have more energy for it.

I guess I am in your shoes now! Which is a good thing, but I know it's an anxious time, waiting to see if anything reemerges. If you are past 21 days, I would think you are in good shape because that is how long it would have taken for any eggs to hatch and start biting, I think.

Sunnydaz, congratulations on your son's graduation! But I do understand how much it is crazy-making to be out of a routine with the kids and how hard that must have been with bed bugs on top of it!!! And I'm not sure how your son was affected by the bugs but I'm imagining that must have been hard if he's not able to speak about it. I feel like these bugs wreak havoc on all our lives but with individual twists for each of us, like Cuddlebug worrying about her work and clients and us with exacerbating stuff with the kids.

Cuddlebug and Sunny, did you read the post from another person on the BedBugger Forum about how he was breaking out in hives as a result of the stress of BBs? Apparently that's a real reaction, and totally understandable, and I also could imagine the chemicals can make our immune systems a little haywire because of being overloaded. I hope your dermatologists can help you get some relief on that score.

I have to run now but thinking of you both and hoping you are well!

40. Sunnydaz

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jul 24 2017 23:07:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Ickick,
    So glad you haven't had much damage from the treatment. I have been thinking about you all weekend. I'm sure you've been very busy. I hope things are still going well and you starting to feel things are getting better. I'm sure you will have days that make you feel this will never end. I know I felt that way a few times.
    So far so good on my end as far as bedbugs go. I found a new problem today. Since we are getting new carpet Thursday. We decided to take down last textured ceiling we had left in our house. As I took down the vent cover I found mold. It appears to go all the way up the duct work. I took down 4 more and found more mold. I didn't look at anymore. I was in a panic by the fourth one. Looks like I have a new adventure. I'm hoping it's not too bad. I started calling around today but it was getting late. I'll come up with a plan tomorrow. Just when I was starting to feel comfortable in my home again. Ugh! Thank will go down as my summer from hell.
    IckIck, how's the clean up going?
    How are things going for you Cuddlebug?

41. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Jul 25 2017 22:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Ladies!

Ick Ick, I am so glad and relieved to hear your treatment went as well as it could. How are both of your kids doing? Sunny I second the congrats on your son's graduation and I'm hoping you are all back on some type of routine. This new routine for us is getting exhausting. We have a plastic bin by our door and husband and I both step in it and disrobe when we get home, put our stuff in a bag and go down basement to throw in dryer and then change It all seems so ridiculous. We had our first monthly treatment on Saturday and our PCO who is great didn't see one sign of anything, but I know I'm not crazy with these bites / rashes appearing and the itching seems worse now than 3 weeks ago. It is almost 30 days since we've seen a live one but skin is still breaking out in small 'bites' and old stuff not healing. He did say some people have extreme reactions, and had one customer have to go to ER to get steroid shot. I hope it doesn't get that bad for me. I have appointment with dermatologist on the 22nd but praying everything is on the mend before then.

OMG Sunny, I am so sorry about the mold. I hear you about the summer from hell. in the midst of the bb discovery our HVAC unit went out, which is bad enough but it was the condenser so it also flooded our basement in about 3 in of standing water, it was a nightmare and very costly. My husband and I are adding to our 'what we could've done with our bb money' list every day, today was take a two week European vacation, yesterday was put a deck onto our home

Ick Ick, hope the cleanup is going well. Did they tell you to rewash and dry everything after your treatment, our PCO did as a precaution but I couldn't bear the thought of it, just re dried everything in the dryer for 60 min on high heat, even that took nearly a week to get through. Did I mention I luckily had that week off because it was my vacation to the beach, which got canceled obviously but at least I was home I guess to be able to deal with it all. Hoping your on the other end of it now and we can begin your 'days without seeing a bb' counter too

42. Sunnydaz

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Aug 1 2017 20:53:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I just wanted to quickly check how you both are doing. Things are good here. I have been putting our house back together and it feels good. I still have anxious moments and dreaming about bed bugs, but overall feeling good about it all. Hope the same for the both of you.

43. IckIck

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 23:15:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sunnydaz! Hi Cuddlebug!

I have not checked in because I haven't had good internet access. We left for vacation the day after our pesticide treatment, which was three days after the heat treatment. Sunny, I just saw your post worrying about the spot on your sheets - glad that was a false alarm!

Anyway, it's been about two weeks since the heat treatment and a week and a half that we've been on the road. When I left the house, everything was still in bags or else pushed to the center of the rooms, because they had just put pesticide around all the baseboards. So I was happy to leave but also not excited to come back to the mess. And I was still pretty stressed about making sure we did not bring bed bugs to anyone we visited along the way, including hotels. Put everything in plastic bags, brought our hot box, washing and changing our clothes all the time. I had one thing which I thought might be a bite on my leg, but I had been wearing long pajama pants and don't think a BB would have gotten that high. We made it through a family memorial service and then up to the place on the coast where we were vacationing.

Everybody said, oh isn't it nice you can relax now. Truthfully it took me quite a few days to relax at all - so much lost sleep and hard work and anxiety leading up to this. But I had two days that were really nice. And then, on our second night in this one hotel, my daughter wakes up at 1 a.m. and says, Mom, there's a bug on my bed. It's crazy that she woke up to see this but I go in and there it is, definitely a bed bug. I trapped it and put it in a plastic baggie and was just stunned to be pulled back into this. And thinking what if we infected the other places we stayed? But I was also wondering if this bug could be from the hotel and not us? I mean, people get BBs in hotels, right? But at the same time, what are the chances that this is happening just as we had our bout with them....

The next day I took everything to a laundromat (in plastic bags) and put everything else in the hot box.

We left there and are now traveling as though the car has bugs and as though every place we stay has bugs. So bringing nothing in except clean clothes in ziplock bags and everything we wear in the room goes into a plastic bag for laundry. Morally, I feel we never should have left our house and we should have canceled vacation and at the same time, we were so miserable at home and on vacation my kids got to go to day camp (again, with all precautions taken) which is also very important for all our mental health. I am checking beds etc at every place we stay but never find anything, but I hardly found anything at home and either did PCOs (including the guy who treated the car).

I am not eager to get back home - I will be so nervous sleeping for a few weeks hoping we don't get any bites - and even though I have a lot to do at home I am thinking about buying a tent to extend our time away. The PCO said not to bring anything into our house when we get home until they have inspected. But I am trying to live life also and enjoy and be as normal as possible. It is hard.

Sorry for the downer report. I keep the faith that we will get through this. I hope you both are well!
    - IckIck

44. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Aug 7 2017 22:16:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Ick Ick,

I am so sorry you are still in the thick of it. I imagine the vacation is not much of a vacation. It's so hard to tell where these things are coming from and I long to go back to my bb free ignorance. It's very likely that the bb your daughter saw might be from the hotel and not related to your home, but there is just no way to know.

We are 42 days since seeing any evidence of the bb's but I hate to be a downer as well, bites are still showing up on me. Not at the rate they were and not as severe but they are definitely not a figment of my imagination and I'm tired of trying to convince myself they are some sort of reaction to the old bites or stress related, my PCO while I love him also was asking about my diet or laundry detergent, I mean I know my own body and these are itchy bites. It's taking a toll physically ruining my skin and mentally. We can't find ANYTHING though, the traps don't show anything and no evidence on sheets or bed frame, etc......we are having the dog come out in two weeks so I'll keep you both posted. In the meantime I finally got in with a dermatologist tomorrow and we'll see what she has to say / offer. I don't have high hopes at the moment but am trying to stay positive and as you said just live my life.....the bb routine is getting old and trying to keep it up exhausting, all the bags and drying and washing, we are still changing several times a day and I just can't wait for the day where we feel safe to walk back in our house after going out to a dinner and not stripping in the hallway ina plastic tub putting our clothes in sealed plastic bags and showering and changing right away.

I'm so sorry you are both going through this, but I am glad to have your support. Thinking of you both, keep me posted on what happens ick ick and Sunny let me know how it's going with you too when you have some time

45. Sunnydaz

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 20:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello ladies,
    I'm sorry to see you both are struggling. Unfortunately it's the same here. We went out of town for a few days. The very same night we were home my son has a new bite. I posted new pictures of some bugs found under his bed that I hope to get I an ID on. It's crazy that I would find so many bugs after all the treatments we have had. If these bugs can be living here why not more bed bugs?!
    Ick, sorry to here about your vacation. That sounds like a nightmare. I hope things are going better now.
    Cuddle, I do understand how you feel about still seeing new bites and not finding evidence. It's so frustrating.
    I know the three of us will get through this I just don't know when. Thinking of you both

46. IckIck

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Aug 15 2017 9:52:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sunny, did you get an ID on that bug? It definitely did not look like a BB to me but am curious if that is what was causing your son's bite? I am with you on how could all these bugs still be in the house! It's ridiculous and of course makes you wonder about the bed bugs.

Cuddlebug, what did your dermatologist say? Are you still getting bites?

We have been home for 3-4 days now. Going to sleep with regular pajamas on, not dressed for winter, and no bites so far. But we have crazy mosquitos outside so we are trying to keep track of the bites we get from them. My mom had a big bite on her arm which she thinks is a mosquito but I feel suspicious about - I just can't bear the thought of having to help her with treatment at her house. But so far no evidence of bugs there and she is away for the week so I won't feel we are in the clear with her until she is back for several weeks (if not more).

I got home and just sat in the dark the first night, I could not bear to see the sight of my home which has stuff piled in bags in the center of every room. After a night's sleep and getting to work I can deal with it better, it is just one step at a time in getting things back in order (but I am still far from it). I almost think we are in the clear, it really is a relief to wake up without bites, but our experience with the hotel reminds me that I need a lot more time to pass to really feel we are over this. For now we are not having people over and staying out of other people's houses. We have a few more weeks before school starts.

Have been thinking of you both and hoping you are doing ok. The fact that we are not on this forum every night is a good sign, right? Such a hard thing to go through. Be well!

47. Sunnydaz

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Aug 17 2017 16:28:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Ladies,
    Things are still going well here. My son doesn't seem to be getting any new bites.
    Ick, I did get an ID on the bugs. Not bedbugs. I think they were brought in during the carpet installation. They cut the carpet on the driveway. Pco was out yesterday and feels good about everything. We got lucky finding him. He was so dedicated to helping us and always reassured me that this would end. I really do feel that life is getting back to normal. We felt comfortable enough to purchase an new chair for our son today. That's was the last thing needed to get our house back order.
    I hope things are going as well for you both as they are for me. I'm not ready to write my succes story yet, but feeling very hopeful.

48. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 7:31:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Ick and Sunny,

Guessing it'sa good sign none of us have been on here for a while but I just wanted to check in and see how you're both doing. We had the dog sniff last Sunday and it went through our whole home twice and didn't hit on anything!!!! I now it's not 100% but it gave me a weird comfort. My skin is finally healing too. I believe it was in a reactionary cycle that the cortisone cream the Dr. Prescribed finally broke, so I am physically feeling much better which is making such a difference. I put my clothes back in their drawers yesterday so no more living out the bins in the guest room. Felt a little anxious but think it was time. We are still changing in a plastic bin as soon as we get home from work and will keep that up at least on work days I think for a long while esp as we don't know where ours came from. I am traveling 3 tmes in Sept / Oct and that has me in a near panic, but I suppose you have to live life right, we are taking lots of precautionary measures and having our PCO spray montly through end of Oct and the dog will do another final sniff in Nov. then hopefully we can be done with these things forever! I'm hoping things are still going well with both of you. Been thinking of you both!

49. Sunnydaz

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Sep 6 2017 19:07:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Cuddle, I'm so glad your skin reactions have gotten better! Life finally feels normal in our home. I'm surprised how at ease I am feeling. I never thought I would feel comfortable again in my home during the bed bug time. There are a few things that may stick with me. I don't like the idea of moving pillows/blankets from one room to another. There are few other little quirks but overall I'm feeling great.

Ick, I hope things are settling for you. Seeing that we aren't posting has to be a good sign.

Funny story, like I said overall I'm feeling almost normal again. Unfortunately we find ourselves in the path of hurricane Irma. I was struggling to find a pet friendly hotel. I found one that possibly wasn't in the most desirable area but figured at least we would be inland. I honestly wasn't even thinking about bedbugs. When I told my sister the hotel. She mentioned bedbugs. Frantically I looked the hotel up and it is on the bed bug registry! Pictures and all! I canceled right away. Unfortunately there are no hotels at all but I really couldn't imagine the idea of going to a hotel with known bedbugs. Well, it looks like a whole group of us are going in together and found a house to rent. So we will be safe. Still hoping the path changes. I'm just getting comfortable in my home. I don't want to loose it now! I felt different a couple of months ago. Lol
    Hope to hear that you both are doing well.

50. cuddlebug920

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 23:25:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Sunny
    I didn't realize you are in FL. Man what a summer huh. Bed bugs now a hurricane. If you can make it through all this you can make it through anything. I will be thinking of you and your family. Please stay safe and let us know you're ok when you can. Glad you have a place to stay. I'm going on my first trip since the bbs tomorrow staying at a home we rented on Vrbo snd having some anxiety about just taking precautions and hoping for the best. Wish me luck!

51. IckIck

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 15:47:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sunny, Hi Cuddle,

You gals have much nicer names than mine

I'm very glad to see your updates here and to know that on the bedbug front things are feeling better. That really does give me hope. Cuddle, it's great to hear your skin reactions are healing. Sunny, I am sorry you are dealing with the hurricane!! I can't imagine. So glad you found a place to stay inland. My heart goes out to so many people who have lost their homes or dealing with soggy messes and reconstruction. Bedbugs are a horror show, but I do retain perspective that many things are worse. But it makes me laugh to hear you say that a couple of months ago you wouldn't have minded losing your house in a hurricane. I read somewhere that people 100 years ago would just burn their houses down when they had bedbugs. I know the feeling, it just changes your whole relationship to your home - the positive feelings kind of vanish.

I know this because I am just starting to feel more comfortable at home. It is about six weeks since our heat treatment, but after that we basically traveled for a month of that time on and off. The first couple of times we came home, I got some bites. Could not find any other signs, but the skin reaction was just like the previous times with bed bugs. When we traveled we took major precautions - both not to bring bugs anywhere and not to pick them up anywhere either. Long story, but we spent one night driving until 5 a.m. rather than stay at a hotel that had reviews mentioning bugs.

Now we have been home for a week and no one has had any bites. I am not sure how this could be, and am just hoping that the pesticide has done its work. I am thinking about having another pesticide treatment before our 60-day warrantee expires, but the PCO said they would not treat the whole house then, only the rooms we think the bugs are in. I am still wary of pesticide with the kids, and they would probably use a stronger pesticide that would require us to be out of the house for a couple of weeks, so I am holding off and hoping not to do it.

I am still nervous about my mother's house - she has not had any bites but I don't know if she has had a reaction. But I feel like I need to get my house clear before I can spend any time at her place to "test."

The kids just started school this week which means I have time to finally get the house back in order.

Sometimes I feel resentful that this all happened, but what are you gonna do? Stuff happens.

I have talked to a few friends about bed bugs, some since the beginning. My best friend is very tolerant, but with a few I have the feeling they can't believe I am still talking about bedbugs so often. And anyone new I tell, I can tell that they have no idea all the work involved - I think people have this idea that you just get your house sprayed (like that's so easy...) and then it's over. But then I have talked to a few people who have had them, and they totally know. Like it's so much work, and it's such a nightmare. My one friend who lives in Canada said they took all their possessions and put them outside for six months in the super-cold of winter. It's just comforting to be able to talk to other people who really get it.

I am sending you both big hugs. We were traveling in places with no internet, which is why I haven't posted all the twists and turns post-treatment, but I think I will be checking in here for quite a while going forward so will be looking out for you if you have any updates. I hope to be able to write a success story sooner rather than later, and I am hoping to pay it forward on the support front. I see the new posts with folks in the initial stages of freaking out, and I feel so much sympathy. The folks who run this site and provide bug IDs are saints as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again, and Sunny, hoping for the best for you with the hurricane.

xoxo
    IckIck

52. Sunnydaz

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 17:36:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Cuddle,
    Actually we are in Charleston Sc. When I posted that it was projected to come directly to us. Unfortunately for Florida it changed course. We were able to stay home but considering it hit land fall on the other side of Flordia we had a few scares. 3 tornado warnings so we spent some time in the hallway today. That Irma was a beast! I'm ready to say goodbye to summer of 2017!

After our vacation last month I just treated our luggage as if we seen bedbugs. I couldn't deal with the worry so I just washed and dried everything. Hopefully you can relaxe and enjoy your trip. πŸ˜€

Ick, I love your name. Lol! I'm so glad things are going good for you. Isn't it wonderful to not see any bites! Clear skin has never been so beautiful! Take careπŸ˜€

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,719 posts in 42,630 topics over 128 months by 18,711 of 19,242 members. Latest: Brightly79, InaneVelocity, ElisaR