Please read: site improvements 8/2015

(14 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 10 2015 16:13:02
    #

Login to Send PM

The site migration to the new host server is now complete. More on that here.

You will notice some improvements:

• Speed, and lack of outages: this is the reason we migrated and I hope things are a lot smoother from now on.
    • Search box: The Google search box has been improved -- it's now the same in the forums as the one in the blog. It's a bit clunky looking in the forums sidebar, but works well and the results give you a choice of sorting results by relevance or date which wasn't possible before. Forum results don't show dates but adding this functionality would have taken more time and money for the developer and this was already quite a costly process, just fixing things which went wrong in the two server migrations. Given that we won't likely be on this software too much longer (months, I suspect) before moving to something even better, I did not proceed with that. I am aware search could be further improved.
    • Private messages: it's a clunky system, but it has been improved in that the formatting was fixed so you should now be able to see the full lines in the table for Sent messages (before now, only the Received messages list looked right and allowed for deletion of messages.)
      If Sent PMs have been opened by a recipient and not deleted by them, they should be listed as N/A (which means you can't delete them-- because otherwise, they would disappear from the system). If a message has been read and deleted by the recipient, you should see a box which you can check in order to delete it. Note that you can but shouldn't delete sent messages which haven't been opened, if you want the recipient to see them.
      There is no urgent need to delete or backup all PMs at this time per this green sticky as the move to new software isn't imminent. However, it may happen in a month or more so you should be aware they may disappear eventually with short notice and backing them up offline is not a bad idea if you want to retain them.
    • Weird characters (and no, I don't mean other forum users): there were some posts and comments here and in the blog with weird characters (Euro signs, letters which don't occur in English, etc.). This problem has not been serious but has persisted for a while and now should be gone.
    • Seamless use of blog and forums with one login: this was implemented years ago but wasn't functioning right and now works well. Basically, if you log in here, you can comment on the blog with your username without logging in again, and vice versa.
    • Pagination: It used to be that the front page would load 150 of the latest discussions and each topic (discussion) thread would load the entire discussion. Now pagination is enabled, which means you will get a shorter page, and accordingly shorter page load time.
      I changed the number of topics on the main page to 50. You will need to click the number at the bottom of the page to go to the next page, for example if you want to read more "latest discussions" threads on the main page, or you want to read through an entire discussion in a topic thread. Remember you can also skip to the end of a discussion thread using the link at the top to the "latest reply".
      I think this will help the speed of the site and it will also make navigating the front page and discussion threads easier.
    • "Freshness"/viewing latest posts: If you are looking at the list of discussion topics under "latest discussions" or in a specific forum, you can now hover over the length of time since the last post (under "freshness") and see the exact time of last post in thread. Clicking on the amount of time in that column will take you to the last post in the thread.
    • "Anonymous" users: We no longer delete users in cases where people regretted their usernames, because they can be changed now. However, deleted users used to be shown as "anonymous" in threads and now they are listed with username "(deleted)".

One issue which persists is that emails from bedbugger.com may be going into your spam filter. I am working on solving that but please keep it in mind, and please email me using this form if you need help (e.g. password reset emails don't arrive, aren't in spam, etc.).

If you notice any other problems from this point forward, please respond below or send me an email where you will now get a reply from a bedbugger.com address rather than yahoo!

Thank You for all of your patience during these migrations -- both the first one we didn't plan or choose (but which led to 12+ hours of outages last week), and the second one we did in short order to fix problems related to the first one (which thankfully involved only a brief outage) I hope you like the site's performance and that we can continue to improve to better meet everyone's needs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 10 2015 16:33:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Added this above:

Seamless use of blog and forums with one login: this was implemented years ago but wasn't functioning right and now works well. Basically, if you log in here, you can comment on the blog with your username without logging in again, and vice versa.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 10 2015 20:45:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Also added something else I forgot to mention:

Pagination: It used to be that the front page would load 150 of the latest discussions and each topic (discussion) thread would load the entire discussion. Now pagination is enabled, which means you will get a shorter page, and accordingly shorter page load time.
    I changed the number of topics on the main page to 50. You will need to click the number at the bottom of the page to go to the next page, for example if you want to read more "latest discussions" threads on the main page, or you want to read through an entire discussion in a topic thread. Remember you can also skip to the end of a discussion thread using the link at the top to the "latest reply".
    I think this will help the speed of the site and it will also make navigating the front page and discussion threads easier.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2015 1:22:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Another update, but I am not changing the post above: user statuses won't show as different colors for now, except for orange junior members. Bear with me and I will try and bring that back asap.

5. eyeh@tebugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2015 11:46:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much Nobugsonme for this forum. It's been so helpful for me dealing with my recent infestation and paranoia I still have them for the last 3 months.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2015 12:50:01
    #

Login to Send PM

shmrck14 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thank you so much Nobugsonme for this forum. It's been so helpful for me dealing with my recent infestation and paranoia I still have them for the last 3 months.

You're very much welcome! I hope your bed bug troubles and worries are gone soon.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2015 13:46:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Your color associated with member status has been returned.

Adding update to post above with these minor additional improvements:

• "Freshness"/viewing latest posts: If you are looking at the list of discussion topics under "latest discussions" or in a specific forum, you can now hover over the length of time since the last post (under "freshness") and see the exact time of last post in thread. Clicking on the amount of time in that column will take you to the last post in the thread.
    • "Anonymous" users: We no longer delete users in cases where people regretted their usernames, because they can be changed now. However, deleted users used to be shown as "anonymous" in threads and now they are listed with username "(deleted)".

8. Dark_Ages

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 14 2015 15:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if I'm the only person seeing this, but when the emoticons/smilies list images are accessed, the top ones are hidden behind the "center" "CODE" and "close" features above the boxed area where posts are composed.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 14 2015 18:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Dark_Ages - 3 hours ago  » 
    I don't know if I'm the only person seeing this, but when the emoticons/smilies list images are accessed, the top ones are hidden behind the "center" "CODE" and "close" features above the boxed area where posts are composed.

Thanks for mentioning that.

It should be fixed now, thanks to the smashing developer who did the migration!

10. Dark_Ages

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 15 2015 3:59:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 9 hours ago  » 

Dark_Ages - 3 hours ago  » 

Thanks for mentioning that.

It should be fixed now, thanks to the smashing developer who did the migration!

Your welcome. And it looks great now.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 15 2015 18:35:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear it!

12. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2015 14:23:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Onward & Upward my compliments to Nobugs. Of course this means an elevation in personal bed bug revenge status.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2015 18:39:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston O. Buggy - 4 hours ago  » 
    Onward & Upward my compliments to Nobugs. Of course this means an elevation in personal bed bug revenge status.

Thanks, Winston!

Yes. I'd like to think we're all really sockin' it to 'em here, one bed bug at a time.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Nov 5 2015 21:29:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Removed from stickies because it's old news now. Tagged with "former stickies" in case you need it later.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,919 posts in 42,659 topics over 128 months by 18,721 of 19,256 members. Latest: fg2670, ImCursed, Harkro