Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Please ID bugs found in beacons (3 beacons in 3 different rooms)

(8 posts)
  1. KrazyMommaBear

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 1:29:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Beacon 1
    image2 (1) by Michael Keller, on Flickr

Beacon 2
    image1 (1) by Michael Keller, on Flickr

Beacon 3
    Bug in question on the right:
    image3 by Michael Keller, on Flickr

A little closer
    image4 by Michael Keller, on Flickr

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 5:19:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The common bug in question between the images are booklice or pscocids. The other possibility for biting is the gnats in beacon 3.

Booklice can be an indicator species to environmental issues that cause skin reactions that can look just like bites. There is a fair about written about them on the forum and in int he advanced educational section of my home site.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 10:38:35
    #

Login to Send PM

There's what looks like a springtail (larger one) in Image 4 in addition to to the book louse, but not sure about the other light-colored specimen. Could be another springtail. Image 2,1,4 book lice. Image 3 dark-winged fungus gnats, and are not biting flies.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. KrazyMommaBear

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 14:50:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both so much! I'm finding different info online about springtails..... can they bite or not? (clearly they aren't "invisible" as I had read elsewhere.)

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 16:03:18
    #

Login to Send PM

KrazyMommaBear - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you both so much! I'm finding different info online about springtails..... can they bite or not? (clearly they aren't "invisible" as I had read elsewhere.)

No, they're not invisible, but can be very small. There is some discussion on whether or not they do bite. There have been some posts on various sites stating that they bite, but also in some of these posts the offending "insect" has not been collected and identified, only ID of springtail is due to "bite-like" reaction experienced.

6. KrazyMommaBear

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 4:08:00
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 12 hours ago  » 

KrazyMommaBear - 32 minutes ago  » 

No, they're not invisible, but can be very small. There is some discussion on whether or not they do bite. There have been some posts on various sites stating that they bite, but also in some of these posts the offending "insect" has not been collected and identified, only ID of springtail is due to "bite-like" reaction experienced.

Thanks so much!!

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 11:13:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They can be an indicator of mold or fungal spore levels if found in significant numbers.

I have seen a highly unusual case where the only samples found in the home and on the person were hexapods. The occupant was treated by their doctor with no other changes to the property and the symptoms ceased, but it is still just the one case out of tens of thousands of cases so its a rare occurrence at best.

As a general rule of thumb they are the kind of thing I would rule out initially and come back to later only in the complete absence of a more likely cause.

If your symptoms persist and you find them in significant number PM me and I will let you know what advise I gave her GP to look into (as it is medical information I would rather not share it publicly but would speak with others if they can confirm this is the cause of issue in their case).

David

8. KrazyMommaBear

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 14:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 3 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    They can be an indicator of mold or fungal spore levels if found in significant numbers.
    I have seen a highly unusual case where the only samples found in the home and on the person were hexapods. The occupant was treated by their doctor with no other changes to the property and the symptoms ceased, but it is still just the one case out of tens of thousands of cases so its a rare occurrence at best.
    As a general rule of thumb they are the kind of thing I would rule out initially and come back to later only in the complete absence of a more likely cause.
    If your symptoms persist and you find them in significant number PM me and I will let you know what advise I gave her GP to look into (as it is medical information I would rather not share it publicly but would speak with others if they can confirm this is the cause of issue in their case).
    David

Thank you very much! I will!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

255,240 posts in 40,867 topics over 124 months by 17,884 of 18,271 members. Latest: DDScared97, Chelsearae0315, nervousbugdown