(15 posts)
  1. buggerem

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 12 2012 8:44:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    I have posted before having come back to the UK from Thailand where i was eaten by bed bugs and continued to get bitten. Only thing was I couldn't see bed bugs.

I was very careful when i came back, put everything straight outside and washed me and all things were boiled etc but i continued to get bitten and now is awful.

I've had PCO out spraying twice, second time helped a little but not in clothes - no sign of bedbugs bar blood spots but not many. itching all day in clothes etc.

Doctor has just put me on flagyl and said if that really doesn't work she'd ref me to psychiatrist, only the same day i actually found these bugs in white clothing(pictures at bottom - please let me know if the link doesn't work)......

I'm completely freaked - was beginning to suspect mites and mentioned this to docs and PCO's but everyone is saying they cant live on me (I began to hope I was just looking at too many scary sites online - i wish I was delusional!!) - these look like some kind of mite to me and now I know what I'm looking for I'm finding quite a few, they are tiny - just like tiny black specs, the biggest is about the size of a period (.)

(I'm really scared and this has had such a disastrous impact on my life I really don't know what to do - I was supposed to be away for a long time but all went very wrong and am staying at a family members house - so scared for them too and unable to go elsewhere/out etc for fear of taking them with me and this chronic itching).

Doctor sent a bad sample off to a lab and if that doesn't show up what it is I'll get another PCO to identify - but for now would be very grateful for your help -

And thanks to everyone for this site, I have found it very helpful and supportive so far - even when I thought i was dealing with bed bugs mistakenly.

Here are the photos inc. one very weird looking thing I found on the same white top, no idea what that could be - (kind of black, hollow and odd with spikes and teeth?! yikes!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76533576@N08/6862118881/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/76533576@N08/6862115471/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/76533576@N08/6862112487/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/76533576@N08/6862108009/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/76533576@N08/6862110349/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/76533576@N08/6862120965/in/photostream

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 12 2012 17:58:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm on a phone viewing the pictures but they do in fact look like tropical rat mites. Get a positive ID before moving forward. You need to know what the target organism is for the proper treatment methods.

Best of luck!

3. buggerem

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 12 2012 18:59:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response - that's what I was thinking looking at web pics, possibly more than bird mites, hard for me to tell though as I'm uneducated in the bug field as yet (!)
    Not sure which I'd rather, or which is the nicer variety - Oh boy!

Thanks again

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 12 2012 19:06:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I guess you win the best specimen photo contest for now.

However, the photos are back lit and we'd need to have some front lit photos too.

In any case, without known the size and based upon the photos posted these do appear to be mites.

However, they could also be immature ticks (six legs) but I'd need to see better photos and have more information.

At least you have collected some ecto-parasites so far.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  5. Alberta has bugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 12 2012 20:19:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I would like someone to respond to "buggerem" question of whether the mites are living on him or the clothes.

6. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 12 2012 20:28:46
    #

Login to Send PM

When you say "live on me" does that mean they will not stay on you or that they can't complete their life cycle on a human host?

That's why it wasn't answered

7. Alberta has bugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 12 2012 21:13:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Good point.

The quote of his is "I'm completely freaked - was beginning to suspect mites and mentioned this to docs and PCO's but everyone is saying they cant live on me (I began to hope I was just looking at too many scary sites online - i wish I was delusional!!) "

So I guess the question should be:
    A: Do these tropical mites actually live on a person or like bed bugs get a meal and leave?
    B: Do they tend to infest clothes, maybe cotton and when they are put on, the mites then find themselves on a host?
    C: Are they like fleas on a cat where they stay for a life cycle?

Just curious.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 12 2012 21:40:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, the images don't look like tropical rat mites or bird mites at all. Need better images, not even sure if they are parasitic.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  9. mindoverbbs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 12 2012 23:38:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggerem,

Did you try whatsthatbug.com? I'd post the individual bugs separately from the sci-fi looking circle thingie (clearly I do not have an advanced degree in the sciences).

Hang tight. This will get resolved. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I can only imagine how trying this must be. Keep us posted.

Hugs from Washington state, U.S.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 13 2012 0:17:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I would listen to loubugs, aka entomologist Lou Sorkin. You need clearer photos for a positive ID. Another website is not going to be any different on that count.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. mindoverbbs

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 13 2012 0:24:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh. Good point. In no way meant to question Lou's expertise.

12. buggerem

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 13 2012 5:31:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    Thanks for all your responses and help ( and by the way I'm a 'she'). Yeah, I tried 'what's that bug' but the email didn't go through at the time, will try again.

whatever is getting at me is definitely parasitic (it's horrendous and I dread going to bed, more than one day in clothes and they nipping and bites are unbearable too- and I'm getting more covered in marks by the day - yuk!) and these are the bugs that are in my clothes and bed, there seem to be quite a few just from that one white top, all my other clothes are dark so it's hard to spot anything -
    I'll try to get some front lit photos if possible, in the meantime going to ring PCO again now and see if they can see from pics or will need to take all my lovely specimens away.

As for 'living on me' , I feel things in and find blood in my ears (have taken to blocking them with wax at night), I have very long hair and despite a wash in lice shampoo the minute I arrived to UK i wonder if they were harbouring in there? My head was always itchy when away despite daily treating and fine combing, there are lots of bites around hot places on my body (underarms and elsewhere - won't go into detail) my hair seems to be less itchy after i put some alcohol hand gel in it yesterday - remarkably less, but how long for I don't know.

Thanks again for your help folks.

13. buggerem

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 13 2012 5:33:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Re last post, missed a word!------'As for 'living on me' , I feel things in and find blood in my ears (have taken to blocking them with wax at night)',------should read 'I feel things in my ears and nose...'!

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 13 2012 8:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Specimens or good photograph are actually needed to rule out one kind of mite from others. These aren't the typical rodent or bird mites that plague so many people who have posted such images and linked to this site/forum.

15. esteban76

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Dec 20 2012 0:26:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggerem,
    I'd love to hear how you're doing. I too suffer from something like this, and get bitten throughout the day, as they definitely stow away in my clothing. I now put all of the clothes i am going to wear for the day in the dryer on high heat while a shower. I then apply DEET to my neck, as that is the primary areas where I am being attacked. It's very stressful and embarrassing, as the bites on my neck tend to get small white heads and become extremely red, so they look like raging pimples! It's a great look.

You haven't posted in a bit, and I'd love to hear what's going on.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.