(3 posts)
  1. superstressed

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 8 2016 18:36:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone-

I have been scouring this forum/blog for a few days now, and feel confident I can get some help here.

I found a bedbug on me in my bed two nights ago. Here is a thorough background:

My step-son (who lives with his grandparents) has a bedbug infestation in his room. I was told this five nights ago. No one knows how long it's been going on, but I suspect at least a month, sadly. I tore apart his room here (which he shares with my biological son) immediately after the call and found zero traces of bedbug symptoms. I then bagged everything and placed outside in the heat for a few days, and I sprayed both mattresses (they have wooden bunkbeds) with 99% rubbing alcohol. I also washed my mattress pad and changed the sheets in my room, but did not inspect nearly as diligently.

I began to wash and dry everything on high two days later.

My step-son needed to spend the night three days ago the night of his room being bombed at his main residence. I had him remove all of his clothes outside (in private) wrapped him in a towel and had him take a shower and change into new clothes from my home. I placed all of those clothes and shoes in a bag and kept it outside. He never brings anything more than his phone and eyeglass holder over with him, no knapsack, et cetera.

The next day I continued unbagging, washing, drying and returning items. That night, I found the bedbug on my leg in my bed. I immediately contained it, and stripped my bed, and searched for signs. All I could find were a few brownish smear marks on my bedskirt, but they don't exactly match all the images of fecal stains I have seen on the internet. I then sprayed my bed with the alcohol, vacuumed, changed sheets and comforter. It's all still outside, actually.

I had a trusted exterminator come who has worked with my father for many years (he is in property management) and check things out. He verified that it was in fact a bedbug, and checked around in the bedrooms, living room, playroom and man cave. He was also unsure about the bed skirt, and found nothing but a few carpet beetles. He wasn't here for more than an hour, much of the time was spent talking to me and answering my millions of questions. I asked him to set up an appointment with the K9 unit, and they came today to sweep the house. The dog did not alert to anything, even the bedskirt.

My questions are:

1) is it enough to go through my house and dry everything seeing there have been no other sightings? Thankfully, my step-son's grandparents have agreed to work with my exterminator so that we are on the same page.

2) Can I rely on this dog? ( I know nothing is 100%)

3) Is it possible I only had the one bedbug?

4) How safe are the chemicals when used around potentially pregnant women, children, and pets?

He said typically, they treat the room the bedbug is found in if no other room has alerted to any, and that he prefers chemicals to steaming/heat.

Please, any replies would be appreciated. I am sorry about the novel, I fear I am already suffering mental health issues from this and it's only been five/six days.

Thank you.

2. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 9 2016 2:21:31
    #

Login to Send PM

1) is it enough to go through my house and dry everything seeing there have been no other sightings? Thankfully, my step-son's grandparents have agreed to work with my exterminator so that we are on the same page.

Maybe. It's impossible to say for sure.

I'm a big fan of vacuuming and shampooing everything that doesn't jump out of the way in questionable cases. If nothing else, it keeps you busy and makes you feel like you're doing something proactive. If you decide to do this, then I suggest you start in an uninfested area, work toward and finish in the area of known or suspected infestation, and dispose of the vacuum cleaner bag and waste water immediately. This is to avoid spreading bed bugs from an infested to an uninfested area.

2) Can I rely on this dog? ( I know nothing is 100%)

False positives are more common than false negatives.

3) Is it possible I only had the one bedbug?

Of course. It's possible that it was brought in during a previous visit. It's also possible that that it was brought in in some other way that had nothing to do with your stepson. But however it arrived, if it was a gravid female, then personally I'd assume that there are eggs and treat the room accordingly.

4) How safe are the chemicals when used around potentially pregnant women, children, and pets?

It depends on the chemical. What is he proposing to use?

One thing I'd caution against is assuming that a chemical is safe simply because it's naturally-derived. Some of the most toxic substances known to man are naturally-derived. That's not to say that they should be avoided: Some of them are very effective and very low-risk. Just don't assume that because Mother Nature made a product, it must be safe. Mother Nature has her warped side.

Richard

3. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 9 2016 2:27:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Addendum: Be suspicious of the lad's phone. Bed bugs do get into them sometimes.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,596 posts in 43,507 topics over 131 months by 19,061 of 19,650 members. Latest: lexie0490, onyva, Ruth989