Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Please help me prepare for heat treatment! Oh my gawd this seems impossible.

(7 posts)
  1. futureBBmom

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 25 2011 0:58:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok I'm doing this! The guy said he'd mail me a sheet to tell me what to do. But it just hit me by the time I get that sheet I could be half done. What do I need to do? They will charge me a fortune if they have to do any prep when they get here.

I know I have to stand couches on end and have everything away from all walls. Put everything else in the middle of the floor. My rooms aren't that big, how am I suppose to leave room for huge heaters and fans to sit in them too? What the heck do you do with all the stuff in like china cabinet cupboards, do you just dump it in the middle of the floor and have to work around it for the next few days or can I put some of it in boxes if it's not packed tight?

Do the pilot lights have to be off? Will the popcorn pop if it's left inside the house? Will batteries leak if you leave them in things? Can I take my purse out with me that day?

He said they leave the fridge plugged in. But I've read where you should unplug everything, so why not the fridge?

Can VCR tapes be heated? I'm draining both water beds but I can't move those frames away from the walls, they are way too heavy. Do I have to pull them all apart and move them?

You know my closets are packed tight. I can't put the entire contents of my closets in the middle of the floor either, there just isn't room for that plus what is in the room.

I have so many questions about where the heck and how I'm suppose to put all this stuff. I HAVE TOO MUCH STUFF!

Help me!! I'll never get this done in time.

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 25 2011 1:39:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Call the thermal provider and ask them for a detailed prep sheet or details prep instructions.

Every provider is different, so asking us what to do might result in you doing things that are not what your particular provider wants.

For example, I did need to remove VHS tapes. I did not need to move furniture away from the walls or stand upholstered furniture on end. But my provider might have had a different protocol than yours does; they might use different heaters, for example.

You really must talk to *your* provider to find out what to do in *your* situation.

3. MoreThanOnceBitten

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 25 2011 10:00:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You really need to wait until you get that sheet, as Buggyinsocal said. You may be doing stuff you don't need to and you may be doing stuff they don't WANT you to do. You may be disturbing the bugs more than they want too, who knows with these things.

My PCO that I plan to use if I get proof of bugs said we didn't have to empty closets or anything. I don't have his "sheet" but one of the main reasons I decided a long time ago to go thermal if I ever have them is because of the reduced prep.

There are different types of thermal treatment and each PCO does their prep a little differently. Some bring in heaters inside, some "pipe" in the heat (or so I've read)

I'm in the same boat as you. I couldn't pull all my stuff out from the walls in my bedroom because its too small. I couldn't put all my stuff in the middle of the room there either for the same reason. I have a 12x10 bedroom with a queen sized four poster bed (big) in the middle, an antique wood vanity with big mirror, a big chest of drawers and a dresser with another big antique mirror, lots of pictures etc, a bedside table and a book shelf.

I could make it work in the other rooms though I think if I had to do that, but I have four, floor to ceiling bookshelves in my living room, and two in the hall, plus a couple more in my office. I have closets that are full too.

I know you have to make sure the heat can penetrate things, so you may have to empty out stuff and make it easier to get to the walls, but you may not have to empty everything out.

I would wait till you knew for sure.

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 25 2011 11:20:12
    #

Login to Send PM

RE: the fridge.

I don't understand why (Cue Dr. Leonard McCoy voice: "I'm an English major, not someone who understands physics and electronics, Jim."), but the fridge was fine through heat treatment. I don't know if they unplugged it, or if it's just that the particular electronics in fridges do okay in the heat. I'm 3 years post treatment, and my fridge runs just fine still.

Unlike my Tivos, my microwave, two surge protectors, and my smoke detector.

Edited to Add: If you're really anxious to get going, you might ask the PCO if he can fax you the prep sheet on Monday. That way you won't have to wait for the mail. If the PCO is email and scanning enabled, you can see if the prep sheet can be scanned in and emailed to you.

Do keep in mind that your particular PCO may not have those capabilities, but it's worth asking.

5. futureBBmom

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 26 2011 22:08:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. He's not set up to do that. So I wait for the mail.

6. futureBBmom

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 27 2011 1:07:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok he managed to get it to me. But it sure isn't very detailed, seems very vague to me.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 27 2011 1:16:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Ask the service provider any questions you have.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,464 posts in 44,760 topics over 136 months by 19,640 of 20,340 members. Latest: Hellobabies, Njpleasehelp, WaterBedBugs