Please Help Me Identify [a: bird mites]

(26 posts)
  1. Rob11

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Sep 28 2017 3:38:29
    #

Login to Send PM

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s122.photobucket.com/user/hotmailsucks/embed/BB/story"></iframe>

Had an exterminator out and he said they're not and he found no indication of bed bugs yet my girlfriend and I are getting "bite" marks every night.

We would both appreciate any help!

Thanks so much.

2. Rob11

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Sep 28 2017 3:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, here is the link to the album. http://s122.photobucket.com/user/hotmailsucks/library/BB?sort=3&page=1

Again, I really appreciate any help!

Cheers.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Sep 28 2017 5:07:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Rob11 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sorry, here is the link to the album. http://s122.photobucket.com/user/hotmailsucks/library/BB?sort=3&page=1
    Again, I really appreciate any help!
    Cheers.

Various creatures though from what I could see no bed bugs, but trouble with photobucket. Please post pictures on imgur or flickr or somewhere else.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Rob11

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 1:50:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I uploaded them to a better hosting platform. Is there an entomologist on the forum who could confirm what these are?

https://imgur.com/gallery/lcEFQ

MUCH appreciated!

Thanks.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 6:10:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Rob11 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Ok, I uploaded them to a better hosting platform. Is there an entomologist on the forum who could confirm what these are?
    https://imgur.com/gallery/lcEFQ
    MUCH appreciated!
    Thanks.

Pictures are somewhat clear. Problem is the small size and the not so pristine condition of the sample to say it is not a first instar bed bug nymph that's a bit out of shape. 2 or 3 pictures show the head and it is somewhat like a bed bug, but it could be a nymph of an anthocorid bug, too. Sometimes these will taste you. Brownish one at carpeting/wall interface is suspect, too. The problem is that none of the samples jump out right away and say 100% bed bug. Maybe David will see this post. If you want to send me the samples, I could review under a microscope.

6. Rob11

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 20:17:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Loubugs, I really appreciate the help.

My girlfriend and I get bites every night. It's calmed down slightly as of late but still get one or two. Some of mine are tiny, tiny little red nicks, almost as if they were testing my skin. Not sure if this is representative of bed bugs...

The picture of the little one on my finger looks suspect to be, because I popped it and there was blood in it and it looks the shape. I just can't be sure because I've seen no evidence on my bed, other than one tiny spot which the exterminator said wasn't anything.

Can anyone else offer their insight?

I appreciate any and all help.

Cheers.

7. Blackheart

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 30 2017 8:35:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Rob11 - 12 hours ago  » 
    My girlfriend and I get bites every night. It's calmed down slightly as of late but still get one or two. Some of mine are tiny, tiny little red nicks, almost as if they were testing my skin. Not sure if this is representative of bed bugs...
    The picture of the little one on my finger looks suspect to be, because I popped it and there was blood in it and it looks the shape. I just can't be sure because I've seen no evidence on my bed, other than one tiny spot which the exterminator said wasn't anything.
    Cheers.

Hi there Rob, I had the same sort of problem (rash on my right arm only) and could not figure what it was, eg... rash, allergic reaction? I finally flipped my mattress (which I'm still suffering from) and found a small bunch in the corner between box spring and mattress. If you haven't done this yet you might want to try that. I went crazy after finding them, flipped mattress off bed, then the box on it's end and went crazy with Pyrodust immediately. Not recommending a small woman ever do this, still have soreness all over upper body

Best of luck!

Sam

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 30 2017 19:56:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you think you could get better (dorsal) picture of the dark one that was at the carpet/wall interface?

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 23:07:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Rob11 - 2 days ago  » 

Lou is an entomologist and hands down the best insect identifier on this site and probably many others. Others do IDs but I don't know anyone here who doesn't defer to Lou.

With that in mind, I'd do what you can to get him the type of images he suggests or to get a sample to him.

Alternatively, if you're in the US, we can point you to a local entomologist. This is a case where more input isn't necessarily better input.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. Rob11

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 23:18:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I appreciate the help guys, this is an awesome website/forum. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that bedbugs could cause anxiety and depression but they certainly have. Forums of people with similar experiences are certainly a wonderful thing to have. I'll see if I can find another one to get a better picture of.

11. Rob11

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 23:19:44
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 day ago  » 
    Do you think you could get better (dorsal) picture of the dark one that was at the carpet/wall interface?

Hi Lou, I wish, but I vacuumed that up as soon as I saw it. I'll see what else I can come across (hopefully nothing)!

Thanks again for the help!

12. Rob11

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 2 2017 3:56:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Been finding these crawling on both mine and my girlfriend's iphone, as well as on my hand a couple of times. Any idea? Bird mites?

https://imgur.com/a/OYWQi

We're getting bites every day, have completely torn apart the house. Not one sign of bed bug poop or fecal stains (unless you think the pics I posted earlier indicate that).

Now I'm starting to think we have bird mites since we have some pigeons living outside our fireplace entrance and a bunch of birds that come to our deck railing to get fed daily. I sweep in bare feet.

My bites are small and some are pin size red dots almost like "feeler" bites.

Again, any help is appreciated. Great forum!

Thanks guys.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 2 2017 13:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Those specimens are just the "wrong" size to make ID easy. Could be mites. You can use a Q-tip wet in alcohol to capture. This might also flatten them out to make picture easier. Or capture and send to me for ID.

14. Rob11

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 2 2017 17:17:23
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 3 hours ago  » 
    Those specimens are just the "wrong" size to make ID easy. Could be mites. You can use a Q-tip wet in alcohol to capture. This might also flatten them out to make picture easier. Or capture and send to me for ID.

Ok Lou, will do next time I find one. My girlfriend just started scratching around here belt line and she discovered about 8 aggressive looking bites and this thing crawling on her. Again, upstairs, not near the bedroom. Pigeons recently nested outside. Looks like a bird mite to me but I'm no expert. Here are the latest pics from today - https://imgur.com/a/7WQVS

Thanks as always. You're the best!

15. Rob11

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 2 2017 17:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Those are taken with a macro lens. In reality they're about the size of 2 pin heads.

16. Rob11

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 2 2017 17:56:07
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 4 hours ago  » 

Hey Lou, where can I send you some samples?

Thanks,

Rob.

17. Rob11

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 3 2017 18:44:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Here are photos of all the bugs I've found.

18. Rob11

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 3 2017 18:44:56
    #

Login to Send PM

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 3 2017 19:45:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I think this may be a bird or rodent mite: https://imgur.com/a/7WQVS

I'm not qualified, though. Wait for Lou to confirm.

Do you have any rodents or birds which have been nesting on or in the home?

20. Rob11

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 0:54:46
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a house on a hill with a deck and railing where a lot of birds come and sit. I also feed them quite often. Recently though Pigeons have roosted on the side of our house near the chimney. I'm also 100% confident the picture you're referring to is a bird mite (I even sent the pic to a exterminator and he said it's a tropical foul mite). I've seen a few of these crawling on my iPhone upstairs. I brought an exterminator in last week and he found no evidence of bed bugs although I'm still very suspicious because my girlfriend and I keep getting bites, and the photo of a bug on my finger looks a bit like a 1st Instar Bed Bug. It's really tough to know how to approach this.

One thing that's odd is that I keep getting these pin head sized red dots on my torso and arms. I've uploaded photos if anyone knows what these might be? I've heard mites can cause bites like these but I've also heard these cause bigger bites, similar to bed bugs.

https://robj82.imgur.com/all/

Thoughts?

21. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 4:23:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Rob11 - 9 hours ago  » 
    Here are photos of all the bugs I've found.
    We have a house on a hill with a deck and railing where a lot of birds come and sit. I also feed them quite often. Recently though Pigeons have roosted on the side of our house near the chimney. I'm also 100% confident the picture you're referring to is a bird mite (I even sent the pic to a exterminator and he said it's a tropical foul mite). I've seen a few of these crawling on my iPhone upstairs. I brought an exterminator in last week and he found no evidence of bed bugs although I'm still very suspicious because my girlfriend and I keep getting bites, and the photo of a bug on my finger looks a bit like a 1st Instar Bed Bug. It's really tough to know how to approach this.

One thing that's odd is that I keep getting these pin head sized red dots on my torso and arms. I've uploaded photos if anyone knows what these might be? I've heard mites can cause bites like these but I've also heard these cause bigger bites, similar to bed bugs.

Thoughts?

That link doesn't work, but the other one does. The mites are either rodent or bird mites, but (obviously) according to your story, I would rule out rodent mites. There are a few mite species parasitic on birds, especially pigeons. Without microscopic examination, tropical fowl mite, is a good, educated guess.
    The actual ID doesn't really matter since these are feeding on you and control of nesting pigeons with control of the parasite is something you need to do. I don't know why you're suspicious of bed bugs when the mites are the obvious culprit.

22. Rob11

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 14:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou.

I guess I'm just suspicious because of the one photo of the bug on my finger that looks like a first instar bed bug and the photo of the brown thing and shiny poo? spot along the baseboard.
    But again, I'm by no means an expert, just slightly paranoid, so hopefully once I get these pigeons taken care of the bites will stop.

I update the gallery with the proper link - now showing bites.
    https://imgur.com/a/gJbQy

23. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 17:08:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Rob11 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Lou.
    I guess I'm just suspicious because of the one photo of the bug on my finger that looks like a first instar bed bug and the photo of the brown thing and shiny poo? spot along the baseboard.
    But again, I'm by no means an expert, just slightly paranoid, so hopefully once I get these pigeons taken care of the bites will stop.
    I update the gallery with the proper link - now showing bites.
    https://imgur.com/a/gJbQy

This is the correct post. You have others online, but this one has the whole story. Mites and your skin lesions are now correctly associated.

24. Rob11

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 18:48:25
    #

Login to Send PM

So you definitely think no bed bugs but mites and those are mite bites?

Sorry to be so paranoid.

I really appreciate the help, Lou.

25. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 3:48:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Rob11 - 8 hours ago  » 
    So you definitely think no bed bugs but mites and those are mite bites?
    Sorry to be so paranoid.
    I really appreciate the help, Lou.

There's no evidence to support bed bugs. You found mites. You said there are nesting pigeons. But just taking care of the pigeons will not take care of the mites, so that's a separate issue.

26. BirdMitesGoAway

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 7 2017 20:25:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe I'm dealing with bird mites too. I sent off a sample to confirm.
    Any advice or ideas on how to get ride of the bird mites?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd