1. ultimate410

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 2:18:53
    #

Login to Send PM

700523033386099797-account_id=3 by Flick Summer, on Flickr

5933361715723217947-account_id=1 by Flick Summer, on Flickr

Hi there, I've been seeing bites (or what looks like bites) on me for a while now after waking. I mostly have been the one to be bit and my partner has not been bitten very much. Recently after searching to try to finally find the source, I found a bug underneath the mattress in the seam. I also searched through the bed side drawer on my side of the bed and found two bugs inside a knit hat I had in there and one or two more in the drawer. The bugs were very small and slugged along rather slowly. They appear to be a bit elongated and oval shaped. They are mostly brown or light brown with a black band on both ends. The legs look a little bit fuzzy, but the body doesn't look fuzzy from what I can see with my eye or with the little magnifying glass I have.

I thought we originally had bed bugs since I've been getting bitten in the bed and we started doing home treatments for that, but now I think they might be carpet beetle larva based on somewhat similar looking images I found online (other than my bug having a less fuzzy and more slimy body). I submitted a picture to a bed identifier app as well as a description and they identified the bug as carpet beetle larva. I wanted to get a second opinion though just to have confirmation before I go and start a new plan of treating the carpet beetles.

If anyone would be able to confirm for me whether or not this really is carpet beetles we're dealing with or if it's bed bugs or something else, I'd really appreciate it. I apologize in advance for the image quality, I was not able to get my camera to focus any better than this after multiple attempts.

2. Mawiwala

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 2:55:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like a carpet bettle larva. The hairs can irritate skin.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 4:14:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like Anthrenus carpet beetles and these have hastisetae that are known to cause dermatitis. The more beetle larvae, the better chance there is to have a problem with these irritating hairs.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. ultimate410

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 1:24:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for the confirmation Mawiwala and loubugs! If I have been getting these skin irritations for at least a few months now, does that likely mean we have adult carpet beetles in the home as well? I've never seen one. But we discovered a few of these larvae so I imagine they must be in the home somewhere?

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 4:00:57
    #

Login to Send PM

ultimate410 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thank you so much for the confirmation Mawiwala and loubugs! If I have been getting these skin irritations for at least a few months now, does that likely mean we have adult carpet beetles in the home as well? I've never seen one. But we discovered a few of these larvae so I imagine they must be in the home somewhere?

If you have larvae, you have adults because they have mated and deposited eggs. Eggs hatched, larvae developed and so on. Sometimes the adults will be found crawling on walls and at one point in their lives (after egg deposition), they are attracted to light and you can find them at windows.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234