Please help me ID this bug

(4 posts)
  1. ScaredChicagoRes

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 18 2017 18:54:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    I found this bug in my cereal box. It looks like a red mite of some kind to me- only it's the size of a spider. I'm very concerned I'll find more. Can anybody ID this bug? Thank you so much,
    D

Untitled<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Untitled<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. ScaredChicagoRes

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 18 2017 18:56:36
    #

Login to Send PM

It would appear to be a spider beetle

3. ScaredChicagoRes

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 18 2017 20:07:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know- does one in the pantry indicate an infestation? Or could it be a loner?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri May 19 2017 5:04:43
    #

Login to Send PM

ScaredChicagoRes - 8 hours ago  » 
    Does anyone know- does one in the pantry indicate an infestation? Or could it be a loner?

Shiny spider beetle, Gibbium aequinoctiale. There's normally more than the one you see. Can be a pantry pest (stored food products), infesting dead rodent or bird bodies, infesting anticoagulant rodent baits, etc. Larvae evade being seen and they would be feeding on aforementioned materials. Glue boards capture these. Inspection of your pantry holdings might help find the infestation.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,792 posts in 43,544 topics over 131 months by 19,074 of 19,667 members. Latest: tireddddddd, bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1