(3 posts)
  1. tenn_em

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 16:20:57
    #

Login to Send PM

http://imgur.com/PywajPY

I was sitting in bed when I noticed this on my arm-- I had bed bugs once before and the whole ordeal was so traumatizing, so I just really want to be sure this isn't another one. Please help

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 16:25:38
    #

Login to Send PM

That's a tick, which has its own concerns.
    As a child I was covered in them after running through the woods and fields, didn't think twice about Lyme disease. Maybe that's what's wrong with me.

What whispers the whisker?
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 23:25:14
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 6 hours ago  » 
    That's a tick, which has its own concerns.
    As a child I was covered in them after running through the woods and fields, didn't think twice about Lyme disease. Maybe that's what's wrong with me.

That's a male American dog tick, Dermacentor variabilis. This one doesn't transmit Lyme disease and a male tick isn't the best sex to transmit because it doesn't stay attached and feed for a long period of time. Please see that there are 8 legs and 2 pedipalps present (Difficult to see the pedipalps and other mouth parts. The oral appendages in total is called the basis capitulum). The larval stage does have 6 legs and, of course, it is very small.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335