Please help ID [a: small, outdoor beetle and carpet or dermestid beetle larva]

(14 posts)
  1. gcorgs

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 16:39:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Found this bug on my bed last night...along with the smaller larva near the opposite end of the bed. From what I can tell, the bug looks like a black carpet beetle, but the larva looks like bed bug larva. Please help!

IMG_9796 by Grace Corrigan, on Flickr

IMG_9797 by Grace Corrigan, on Flickr

IMG_9801 by Grace Corrigan, on Flickr

IMG_9802 (1) by Grace Corrigan, on Flickr

2. gcorgs

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 22:25:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Are these bed bugs?

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 23:10:14
    #

Login to Send PM

gcorgs - 43 minutes ago  » 
    Are these bed bugs?

No. Only your first picture can be viewed - others set private. The dark one is a small beetle, but looks like an outdoor species.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. cs0413

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 23:13:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, sorry to steal this post but I couldn't figure out how to post my own picture. I also need help identifying. Hoping it's a book louse.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150762583@N08/36473804525/in/dateposted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150762583@N08/36473804425/in/dateposted-public/

These are of the same bug, found crawling on my night stand. I might have squished him a little while capturing him. Please help!

5. cs0413

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 23:27:20
    #

Login to Send PM

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 23:30:40
    #

Login to Send PM

cs0413 - 2 minutes ago  » 
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150762583@N08/36473804525/in/dateposted-public/

I see 2 pictures, but you can start a new thread. Not a bed bug, but a commonly encountered small insect often mistaken for very young bed bug nymphs so I think you already know.

This is the area on the forum page you need to click on to add a new topic:

Latest Discussions

Jump to List of Forums
    TOPIC — ADD NEW »

7. cs0413

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 23:32:10
    #

Login to Send PM

What is the bug? How can you be sure?

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 23:34:29
    #

Login to Send PM

cs0413 - 2 minutes ago  » 
    What is the bug? How can you be sure?

Read over your post.

9. cs0413

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 23:55:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, I understand you must see thousands of photos a day and to you it may be very obvious, but to me, a layperson, I cannot see the difference between that photo and a bed bug nypmph photo. I do not feel reassured with a response like that, especially without answering which type of bug you think it could be. If you could give me a little more detail I would appreciate it. Thank you:)

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 0:26:03
    #

Login to Send PM

cs0413,
    I think Lou is saying he knows it's another small insect but the picture may not be clear enough to say which. Perhaps it's a booklouse or psocid. Read this FAQ: bed bug nymph or booklouse? and look closely at the shape of your bug and the bed bug nymph (especially head relative to body) and you should see the difference. Even if yours isn't a booklouse/psocid, you can see the difference in the shape of body and head between the picture of the bed bug nymph and your insect.

Finally, Lou was also pointing out that hijacking a thread isn't helpful to you or the original poster above. It actually means fewer people will see your posts.

Please start a new thread next time for your question or ID-- you can find instructions with a link in the How to use the forums green sticky post.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. gcorgs

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 12:32:56
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 13 hours ago  » 

Are these bed bugs?

No. Only your first picture can be viewed - others set private. The dark one is a small beetle, but looks like an outdoor species.

Thank you! I have now made the rest of the pictures public...sorry about that! Do you think the larva is also that of an outdoor beetle? The pictures of beetle larvae I have seen show that they are hairy, whereas the one I found looks pretty smooth.

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 14:28:10
    #

Login to Send PM

cs0413 - 14 hours ago  » 
    Lou, I understand you must see thousands of photos a day and to you it may be very obvious, but to me, a layperson, I cannot see the difference between that photo and a bed bug nypmph photo. I do not feel reassured with a response like that, especially without answering which type of bug you think it could be. If you could give me a little more detail I would appreciate it. Thank you:)

This is what you said:
    "Hi, sorry to steal this post but I couldn't figure out how to post my own picture. I also need help identifying. Hoping it's a book louse.[emphasis mine]
    These are of the same bug, found crawling on my night stand. I might have squished him a little while capturing him. Please help!"

So I hinted that you already knew something and I thought you would repost in a new thread and that's where I was going to answer.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 14:31:51
    #

Login to Send PM

gcorgs - 1 hour ago  » 

loubugs - 13 hours ago  » 

Are these bed bugs?

Thank you! I have now made the rest of the pictures public...sorry about that! Do you think the larva is also that of an outdoor beetle? The pictures of beetle larvae I have seen show that they are hairy, whereas the one I found looks pretty smooth.

It's kind of confusing with 2 posting people on this thread. The adult beetle could be a carabid ground beetle. The larva is a dermestid or carpet beetle larva, possibly a species of Anthrenus.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 1:04:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes--just to be clear, the title edit only identifies the ID for the original poster in this thread. That's just one reason we ask people to start a new thread. Sorry if I added to the confusion there.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335