Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Please advise on next steps

(3 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 11:41:03
    #

Login to Send PM

We are three months into this and are very cautiously optimistic. No visible signs of BBs, but some mystery bumps on myself and a child are keeping me very cautious. I am seeking advice on a couple of lingering issues.

We have a few large bags of items we bagged before our first treatment. These were things we did not know what to do with. New clothes we for Christmas gifts and were afraid to give people. Some old files we didn't want to throw out. Some books. Some small lamps, clocks, shoes, etc.

My PCO recommended gingerly opening the bags, removing the clothing for washing, and then resealing bags with Nuvan strips for a week or two. I am terrified to remove the clothes. My "clean" area is my laundry room and all our day-to-day clothes are stored in ziplock bags in that room. I can't do it there. I fear there is a hungry BB in that bag just waiting to re-enter our world. Can I put the Nuvan strips in the bags with the clothes and all? Or, would it be less risk to take the bags outside and sort the items out there into clean bags, and then launder the clothes? I am also afraid these bags are too full for effective treatment using the Nuvan strips.

My second question is about my bed. It has been treated and encased. We have not seen a live BB since the end of December (knock on wood). However, I hate having the mattress and boxspring in my room. They were ready to be replaced before this happened, and now I would like to get rid of them entirely. I feel like they are ticking time bombs, even though they were treated and encased. Also, to me they smell of chemicals. My husband thinks it is all in my head. The tricky part is we have a split box spring (two pieces) in a single encasement. I wish we had thought this through more when we were originally encasing. But there is no way to get the box springs out of our room without taking the encasement off. And the mattress is a tight squeeze. I am afraid the encasement will rip as we try to get it down our narrow staircase. Should we just live with these items for two years to ensure everything in that encasement is dead? Is there a "safe" way to get these out of the house? I am tempted to duck tape the entire mattress and box spring in multiple layers before moving them out.

Any advice would be much appreciated. We are not in a rush on the bed, but it is something I spend far too much time worrying about these days.

Thank you.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 13:09:19
    #

Login to Send PM

For the removal I would leave the cover on the mattress, if it tears just be mindful of the area and do a basic inspection afterwards. I move mattresses, box springs and frames all the time and have yet to have an incident of transference. The box springs can be removed from the encasement and placed in tyvek or some other plastic sheeting, taped to hold it all together but it doesn't have to be sealed, seam along the top side when it's in moving position. I keep mattress bags in my van, slip the box into the bag and the seam runs the long length of the box, so when carried it faces upward.
    As for opening the sealed bag of items and clothing if it makes you feel more secure you can take the entire bag outside and place it on a white sheet. Then remove the clothing and place that in a bag until you put it in the dryer. Then dispose of the bag you used to transfer the clothing.

Bird dreams are not admissible in court.
  3. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 13:18:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Big Dummy. Appreciate it!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

253,569 posts in 40,567 topics over 124 months by 17,753 of 18,114 members. Latest: Brokegradstudent, onibuka, NewBug