Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Plastic moat proposal for electronics and similar

(10 posts)
  1. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 5:56:56
    #

Login to Send PM

For anyone who has computers or whatever type of items they worry might harbor bed bugs and which won't fit in a PackTite or might be damaged in a PackTite – or PackTites aren't available where they live – following is an ultra-low-tech proposal, costing in the neighborhood of $30, for how to entice bugs to exit the items and be visibly trapped so you can squish them.

Time frame is a couple of weeks or so instead of the 18+ months required if you bag the items and store them waiting for any bed bugs inside to die of starvation.

This is tailored in particular for Hollthulhu who described his situation on...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/possible-controlled-co2-test-for-bb

...but anyone can do it.

This approach is as yet untested but I would urge anyone who decides it sounds plausible to try it and provide feedback, especially if experts review this and don't see, based on their experience, anything obviously wrong with it, and maybe if some experts even decide to do field tests of their own with it.

If we find out it's viable then maybe soon it can become standard operating procedure giving millions of bb sufferers a new tool by which to fight them.

Note this would be a tool which doesn't require distributing chemical insecticide poisons around our living spaces which might, over the short term or unforeseen long term, harm humans and animals yet might not harm bed bugs so many of which are now resistant to them.

PROPOSED SEQUENCE TO GET BED BUGS OUT OF YOUR ELECTRONICS OR OTHER ITEMS WITHIN A COUPLE OF WEEKS OR SO INSTEAD OF 18+ MONTHS

(1) Go to any Container Store:

http://www.containerstore.com/locations/index.html .

(I have no affiliation with that company.)

(Note to site host Nobugsonme: for reader convenience I'm leaving these Container Store URL's intact if it's okay by you, since it's general-purpose merchandise not bedbug-oriented merchandise.)

So for instance, Hollthulhu you can go to the one in Cincinnati, across the river from where you live in Erlanger, Kentucky:

http://www.containerstore.com/locations/showStore.htm?store=CIN .

(2) For $9.99 buy one Underbed Box 27-1/8 x 16 x 6-1/4 10008763 101111 690 and for $19.99 buy one Long Underbed Box 35-5/8 x 18-1/4 x 6-1/4 10008765 101131 900 as shown here:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/underbedStorage?productId=10001213 .

(3) Or alternatively of course, order the two plastic boxes online.

(4) Remove covers of the two boxes.

(5) Optional: place double-sided sticky tape horizontally all around the top inside margin of the Long Underbed Box.

(6) Invert the Underbed Box and place it into the right-side-up Long Underbed Box where it will fit just fine. It may slide around from side to side but that doesn't matter, it doesn't need to be "centered".

(7) Place your electronics or whatever items on top of the inverted Underbed Box which is now sitting inside the right-side-up Long Underbed Box. This bottom side of the Underbed Box offers two square feet of horizontal area.

(8) Make sure no part of your items, sitting on the inverted Underbed Box, touch any part of the Long Underbed Box.

(9) Place all this on the floor in your bedroom where you give off CO2 all night plus aromas plus pheromones etc. which hungry bed bugs find more attractive than any artificial trap lures can ever be.

(10) If the electronics or other items contain any bed bugs, the hungry bb's sensing you nearby at night will exit the items and slide down the sides of the inverted Underbed Box seeking to begin a trek to you to feed.

(11) According to tests I did earlier this year, bb's are completely unable to vertically ascend this kind of hard semi-clear plastic. So your bb's will be completely unable to ascend the sides of the Long Underbed Box, and also they'll be equally unable to re-ascend back up the sides of the inverted Underbed Box. They'll be stuck in a "moat" they can't climb out of. You'll wake up the next morning or next few mornings and find bb's stuck in the "moat" and you will end their b.s. (bloodsucking) careers right then and there.

(12) Proviso is that you can't have small children or pets in the bedroom of course – unless perhaps you place the plastic boxes up on a table or any kind of platform and firmly secure them with duct tape etc. to make sure the children or pets won't dislodge them or the items sitting on top of them.

• • • •

In tests of my proposed low-cost tape strategy as described in...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/trying-again-%E2%80%93-in-progress

...I found adult bb's, and 4th and 5th stage nymph bb's, could eventually ascend vertical surfaces of many kinds of smooth clear tape as at first they seemed unable to do; but they never were able to ascend this kind of hard smooth semi-clear plastic.

The optional step (5) above, the double-sided sticky tape, is insurance to make sure no bb's can climb out of the "moat" and thus access your bedroom and eventually you.

Therefore the idea is that essentially you have nothing to lose so why not try this.

If this stratagem is shown to work and you use it for electronics, I imagine you could still have access to use the electronics while they sit on the plastic boxes if you put the boxes on a table and adjust height to suit. Do keep an eye out for any bb's that might exit the electronics while you're sitting there using them in such fashion – but that's easy enough to do.

It seems to me isn't this far superior to sealing up items in plastic for 18+ months waiting for any bed bugs inside to die of starvation. Why coop up the bugs and isolate them from all stimuli they receive from us, thus encouraging them to "shut down"/"go dormant"/"hibernate" which means we have to wait so long for them to die slowly? And then we still get some reports of bugs who outlive even the 18+ months?

Why not instead let them sense us abundantly thereby inciting their juices to flow and their "mouths" to water so they come out quite soon and get trapped where we can pick them off at our leisure.

jrbtnyc

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 6:27:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In cases where you use CO2 as a lure it is the gradient of the gas that the bedbugs follow.

Therefore as CO2 is heavier than air you need to ensure that the CO2 does not simply fill up the bottom of the container and for a pool with no gradient.

Solve this and the idea should work using CO2 as a lure.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 6:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 6 minutes ago  » 
    In cases where you use CO2 as a lure it is the gradient of the gas that the bedbugs follow.
    Therefore as CO2 is heavier than air you need to ensure that the CO2 does not simply fill up the bottom of the container and for a pool with no gradient.

Aha that's a good analytical point.

Note however that with the plastic moat configuration as envisioned, the enticement phase occurs while the bed bugs are still in the elevated portion of the setup. By the time they get to the bottom of the container i.e. the "moat" in the "pool" where "there's no gradient" it's too late for them, they're already in the trap.

Elaboration: with the plastic moat configuration as envisioned, the bed bugs while hiding in the electronics/etc. will sense some CO2, plus bonus human aromas and pheromones; and even if they can't yet assess what "direction these are coming from" these lures (not just CO2 but aromas and pheromones too, coming from real humans) should nonetheless draw them out to where they expect to then begin searching for the gradient. To search for the gradient they'll have to begin to move around after exiting the electronics or other items; so it's likely they'll immediately encounter the plastic slope which they'll slide down in search of maneuvering room to begin to assess the gradient and figure out which direction they're going to go for breakfast. But hmm, whoops, immediately they'll find they can't go any further. They never got to the gradient field but it doesn't matter because in their effort to arrive at what for them would be the "starting gate" they're already in the trap.

4. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 14 2011 14:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

From...
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/wait-bedbugs-can-live-longer-than-18-months-now?quote=110483#postform

readingrainbow - 12 hours ago  » 
    i thought the rule of thumb was that bedbugs die after 18 months in a plastic bag but i saw a post on here saying there were some reports that this isn't the case...
    i had bedbugs but everything is clear... no bites, nothing... except i still have my laptop and camera in a sealed plastic bag. i just feel like whatever i do to assure myself there are no bugs there (they traveled in one or the other, just trust me on this) it won't be enough, since there still seems to be no agreed-upon method to treat electronics. so i think i'm just going to buy new stuff and take the old stuff out of the bag in 18 months. 18 months is still a safe waiting period, though... right... RIGHT???

Dear readingrainbow,

If you see this post, please consider the plastic moat idea for your electronics. Rather than confine any bugs that are in your electronics, sealing them off from outside stimuli and encouraging them to go into some kind of suspended animation, why not let them perceive your CO2 and juicy pheromones every night to roil their appetite so they'll exit and get trapped in the moat where you can dispatch them.

For a related topic see...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bedbug-barrier-tape-plumbers-tape .

jrbtnyc

5. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 19 2011 9:12:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear anxiousbb from...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/storage-for-photosnegativesvhs

anxiousbb - 29 minutes ago  » 
    So unfortunately there are a few things I just can't throw out as I prep my house for extermination of those bastards....I really do hate them more than anything right now. When my PCO came by he said our house had a mild case. One of the many invaluable things are old pictures, negatives and VHS tapes. Before it spreads I'd love to pack away those things, but I'm nervous to just dump all of it in a plastic bin and duct tape it so nothing gets in. I did some research and found that packets of silica gel (those packets in shoes and bags) will help keep the moisture out. Anything else I can do to protect them while I keep them quarantined for 18 months?
    I'm sorry if I sound paranoid but I live in my parents house and I know I'm the one who brought the bed bugs into their lives so this entire situation is completely all my fault. I just want to protect/preserve/clean everything that's important as quickly as possible...hopefully making their lives a little easier in this whole ordeal

...if you see this, why not try placing your items on a plastic "island" inside a plastic "moat" for, say, a month and see if indeed it enables you to catch and kill bb's that come out.

Keep the configuration near your bed so any bb's hiding inside your old pictures, negatives, and VHS tapes will know you're right nearby all night so they'll be sure to come out looking for you and will get stuck in the trap where you'll then dispatch them the next morning.

6. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 21 2011 21:54:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear AsSoftAsSilk from...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-decontaminate-electronics-in-general

AsSoftAsSilk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Ok, so we know it is rare to find bed bugs in your electronics. However there are so many of us not wanting to take the chance that we are that rare occasion and willing to go the extra step to ensure successful removal of the parasite. How would one go about having their electronics blown through with compressed air as (BBcoukHome expressed as the best treatment thus far)?

...is there anything to lose by placing your electronics on top of an "island" inside a "plastic moat" ($30 worth of plastic required for construction thereof which takes 5 seconds once you've acquired the two plastic basins) in your bedroom and seeing whether any bugs have emerged into the trap within the first couple of weeks or so?

7. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 21 2011 21:59:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Note to David and to Nobugs and to all: this is another item we'll test in the "lab"...

see http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/protection-in-a-movie-theater#post-111279

...if it's possible to set one up, with help of anyone here in the NYC area who has access to lots of bb's. We'll place a known number of bugs in any object that's sort of like a piece of electronics, and put in on the "island" in the "moat", and see how many of that known number of bugs end up in the trap within, say, a couple of weeks.

If *all* the bugs end up in the trap, won't that be useful to know? And then won't it be child's play to repeat the experiment, say, 20 times with more bugs in different types of items, seeing whether the bugs all go into the trap each time?

8. AsSoftAsSilk

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 21 2011 22:08:09
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc - boy your really selling this experiment aren't you? and actually no there's nothing to loose. A couple of questions though, does the plastic have to be a certain type so they can't crawl up it? And do they make the bins TV size and larger than TV size so I can treat my televisions as well?

9. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2011 8:01:41
    #

Login to Send PM

AsSoftAsSilk - 9 hours ago  » 
    jrbtnyc - boy your really selling this experiment aren't you? and actually no there's nothing to loose. A couple of questions though, does the plastic have to be a certain type so they can't crawl up it? And do they make the bins TV size and larger than TV size so I can treat my televisions as well?

See the first post above, and the sequence especially item 2.

Here are the two plastic basins you need, which are in fact made of exactly that kind of plastic which my own small-scale testing indicates bed bugs, even adults who are the best climbers, absolutely cannot climb (admittedly I'd like to do more testing on a far larger scale with hundreds of adult bb's if some folks on this forum will offer to collaborate)...

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/underbedStorage?productId=10001213

...total cost $30 plus shipping/tax/whatever.

When you have inverted the Underbed Box and placed it inside the right-side-up Long Underbed Box, that bottomside of the Underbed Box which now comprises your "island" in the "moat" offers *two square feet* of horizontal area. Will at least one of your tellies fit on top of that?

Note there's no reason you can't *watch your tv* while it's sitting on the "island" in the "moat". Or if you're "moating", say, a laptop, well actually you *could use it* while it's on the plastic configuration, couldn't you. Obviously you would check to make sure no bugs jump off it onto you while you're actually in the process of using it, but how hard is that to do?

In other words you may be able to have pretty much full use of your items during a few-weeks-at-most period when hungry bed bugs, exposed to all your attractive juices and CO2 particularly at night since you're keeping all of this in your bedroom, are jumping out of the items into...the trap where you then, at whatever time you so choose, i.e. not having to monitor it all the time, come and check, spot them, and annihilate them.

Isn't that better than sequestering the items for 18 months?

Isn't it worth trying at least? You can always still sequester the items later if you don't feel confident the moat is serving its intended purpose.

10. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2011 8:27:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay so I have to finally buy the iPhone I've been putting off, so with its video I can do a 30-second demo to post here, showing how you take the covers off the two basins, then invert the smaller one and flop it down into the larger one, then put your electronics or anything on top of the bottomside of the inverted smaller basin that's now ensconced in the right-side-up larger basin. Takes 5 seconds to do it but I sense it's a bit hard for people to visualize from the text explanation here so the video will solve that.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,528 posts in 47,906 topics over 148 months by 21,103 of 21,442 members. Latest: bobseger900, Bugula, bugsaway71